This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

#of tractors to have an auction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: #of tractors to have an auction
    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 5:41pm
How many tractors do you guys think one would need to justify going the auction route. My family has several Allis's in various state's of repair plus some implements and parts we are trying to decide how we should go about selling them .
Thanks Tim

Edited by tab - 21 Apr 2018 at 5:42pm
Sponsored Links

bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 6:37pm
Have you looked at BigIron?
Stan R View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 6:46pm
Or a consignment auction
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 6:57pm
You can check with the auction company around here they will have a sale at one place but bring in equipment to boost the inventory if need be and they do a huge consignment auction every spring
steelwheelAcjim View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steelwheelAcjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 7:23pm
Depends on a number of different variables. How many run? How many restored? How many original? How many considered parts tractors? The amount of quality parts? How many pieces of implements? I can go on and on but as an Auctioneer, i would view everything and figure out how long it would take to sell everything, and then figure if the estimated dollar amount would justify my time to do it. If everything is Allis, the collectors will show up. You have to find an Auctioneer who has the proper knowledge of what they are selling. A lot of Auctioneers don't take the time to do any research. To them a WD is a WD, and a WD-45 is a better WD. Many times I've seen WD-45's sold without the mention of the factory power steering that was on it.

Having said all of this, I still believe in the live auction process. I believe it is the best way to achieve the most dollars out of your collection. Good luck whatever you decide.

Pre-WW2 A-C tractors on steel wheels...because I'm too cheap to buy tires!
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 7:58pm
Take 20% off the price of what you think it will bring at an auction (no commission and you don't have to haul it anywhere), then offer it here. If it is priced right......and I hate to make enemies.....but if it is priced right,....it will sell. Ya might meet someone or deal with someone who becomes a buddy. I have.
Leon  B MO
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 9:43pm
Thumbs Up What Leon says!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 10:24pm
Plus you don't the chance of the auction being one of those where everything goes
for next to nothing.Went to one of those last Fall the sellers were very upset.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 8:48am
Call a local auctioneer out to look it over.  They provide this service for free and will tell you what they think.  If you have enough smalls to fill up a couple jewelry wagons, and then the equipment, they shouldn't have a problem dealing with you.   Most around me in SE MI are now doing Online Auctions.  This makes it easier for everyone involved.  Keep us posted so either way you go, we'll know when you sell, there are quite a few on here from MI. and nearby.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
tab View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 1:20pm
Thanks for the input. one thing about the auction everything is gone no odd stuff left around . Most all the stuff is unrestored
1 UC cont. runs
1 U cont.running another parts
1 U. Allis motor
2 WC running 1 for parts
2 stuck wds
1 running b
D12 series 3 running
WD 45 factory ps
2 - 40 allcrops one with a bean pick up
2 60 all crops
1 roto baler
All crop drill
Would be a couple of jewelry wagons also
Richardmo View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 1:41pm
That what I was going to say.
Like the sale, I went to last weekend.
The person was not happy with all the prices, but it was all going to be gone.

steelwheelAcjim View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steelwheelAcjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 2:02pm
Most "old school" Auctioneers that have gone to Online auctions have become lazy. Online auctions are only easier on the auctioneer themselves because they have to do less in representing the items, and place all responsibility on the prospective buyer. Less transparency and more potential to play games with the public. Most online Auctioneers are only going to: take a picture of the item, post it online, take payment for the item, and send you a check minus the Buyer's premiums, commissions, advertising, and other related fees. Easy money!
Pre-WW2 A-C tractors on steel wheels...because I'm too cheap to buy tires!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 5:57pm
Auctions should be your last resort. Too many people to give a bite to, and lazy auction help, and meddling auction goers, who are willing to do things like re-route spark plug wires, or steal small hard to find items offa the tractors for sale...  Now, buyin at auction is another story.  Lots of times you get a bargain, sometimes you get screwed.  I prefer estate sales, that aren't in the top 5 auctions viewed on auctionzip...

I would try selling them here, or on Craigslist.   When I sell something, I like to look the buyer, in the eye, when he asks me if I would go lower.

Then, I usually just say you start countin off the bills, and I'll smile when you give me  enough.  Helps to have an exceptionally sour candy, in yer mouth, when you do this...

If its a real lowball, I either tell them the driveway works both ways, or name a higher price, than was advertised...

When they say, hey wait you had it advertised at ( ), I just say, well you started this sh!t!!!Wink
Stan R View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 6:20pm
not sure what an auction/ auctioneer adds to a sale vs on-line sales or advertised sale

Edited by Stan R - 22 Apr 2018 at 6:20pm
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 6:20am
If you are aware of what the stuff brought 10 years ago your biggest issue will be forgetting those prices and getting to today's realities.  That being said you dont have enough stuff to have your own auction in my opinion. Consignment sales around here have become places to dump pure junk and everyone knows it so anything that can hide defects  sells super cheap.  2/3 of the tractors go back home with whoever brought it.  You can call a local auctioneer and ask him to add your stuff to one of his sales. Or price it and advertise on any one of many online services, tractor sites, craigs list, Facebook etc . As one other poster said remember what it is going to cost you to auction them and hauling and remove that from your price to help sell them or be ready to come down.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 7:25am
tab,
Where in MI. are you. I might be interested in your D-10.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
tab View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 6:12pm
It's a d12 series three I'm over by woodland
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 8:02am
I met D-12.
Your not all that far from me.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic