This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA Will Not Go To Full Throttle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveSB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA Will Not Go To Full Throttle
    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 4:40pm
We have a CA that will not go to full rpm or throttle. It has a magneto ignition. You can set the throttle wide open and with engine off, it will open the carb all the way up and stretch the governor spring. However when the engine is running, and you open the hand throttle up, the carb will only open about 1/4 of the way up and the rpms will be about half what they should be. The linkage has been adjusted like the manual says to do it. The governor has been removed a couple of times and it looks and seems to be fine, at least nothing noticeable. With the engine running and throttle open you can move the carb linkage by hand and it revs right up, until the governor pushes it back to 1/4 throttle. When using the tractor, and it encounters a load, the governor will not open the carb more than this 1/4 opening. With engine off, the linkage seems to be correct and it is opening carb, just not while running. We have substituted another known good carb and it does the exact same thing. Any help would be appreciated, we don't know what to try next

1948 C, 1953 CA, 1948 WD, 1961 D-17 Series 2 Diesel, 1939 WC, 1957 D14
Sponsored Links

thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 5:23pm
Sounds like an issue inside the governor to me
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
DaveSB View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveSB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 5:30pm
Anything in particular we should look for inside the governor? Or maybe just try to find another one? 
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 6:40pm
The way you name it, it shouldn't be the linkage.  That would be my first thought.  Seems that it almost HAS to be the governor.  I've never had one apart, but I think you're on the right track.  I'd guess a warped spring or something in the way that won't allow it to move.  Kind of a oh chit scenario and give it your best shot.  But yeah I'd be highly suspect of the working of the gov...
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 6:45pm
Check the rod going to the throttle at the throttle lever by the steering wheel.
Loosen the setscrew and pull the rod up with the engine running.

With the engine off and throttle lever wide open like you stated will not tell you anything except you don't have any linkage binding.

The governors job is to hold the engine at slow idle with the spinning governor weights as far as thinking how it actually works. The only way to increase the RPM's is to over come the governor weights by the spring being pulled strong enough.

The actual fact for the governor is to maintain the set RPM at the throttle lever. When the tractor RPM's pulls down on a load the weights begin to slow which puts more pressure on the spring which in turn opens the throttle plate in the carburetor that cause more fuel to enter to hold the RPM's.

The CA was rated at more HP and the only thing different in the engine from the B in the same year was a stronger governor spring.

If the throttle rod being adjusted does not bring up the RPM's you may have a weaker spring than you need.     
DaveSB View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveSB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 12:20pm
We loosened the throttle rod by the steering wheel like was suggested and pulled the rod up with the engine running, and no change. So next we went and borrowed a governor spring from another CA and tried it on our tractor, same thing would not rev up to the rpm that it should. So we returned the spring and looking through a bunch of spare parts at a friends, we found another magneto governor. We removed our governor and it looked like new, seemed in excellent shape, nothing worn and everything free. Our governor did not have the screw at the mag side, it had no hole for one either. The governor that we picked up was old and had the screw in the back, this was the only difference. We put it in and now it revs up like it is supposed to, but don't really understand why, our original governor looked much better than the old one we put in to replace it, oh well, its finally working now. It is like a new tractor, and has a lot more power now that it revs up like it should, thanks for all the suggestions, I just wanted to let everyone know how it turned out.
wbecker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 2:44pm
How do you know it's not getting full RPM? With no load full throttle with the throttle lever, 1/4 open on the carb sounds about right.
If you have an old dwell/tach meter, you could find out for sure what RPM you have.
As said there are different governor springs for different models, I suspect the wrong spring or a stretched/worn spring, if the RPM is actually low.
Allis B, IB, Low B, G, D10, JD M, 8KCAB, C152
DaveSB View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveSB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 2:57pm
It was obvious the rpm was low, we have a C and a neighbor has a CA and it was obvious both would turn a lot more rpm when running, a lot more. We have been using this CA to run a finish mower and pull a disk. The tractor wouldn't run fast enough to properly turn the mower fast enough, and the governor would only open the throttle to 1/4 opening, no matter the load placed upon it, it would barely pull our disk because it would not throttle up.  Now it will turn the mower much faster, as it should. We are using the exact same governor spring now as we had on the other governor, and now its working. We borrowed the governor spring from my neighbors CA to try on the old governor before we swapped the new one in, and his spring that works on his tractor made no difference on ours. I think you could tell if your tractor only ran at half of its rated rpm like ours did without a tach.
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 3:44pm
Thanks for posting the "rest of the story." Sounds like one of those mysteries that ought to have a good explanation! Maybe ask a governor expert to look at the one that you removed from the tractor? I'm not sure who to suggest but I bet there are a few out there.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
DaveSB View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveSB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 5:11pm
Yes, I just wanted to let everyone know what we found when working on it after all the suggestion provided here. There are always some posts that are interesting that we never here "the rest of the story" . If there is someone out there that would like to take a look at it or repairs them, I'd be happy to ship it to them. Who knows, might need a spare one day. Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic