This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

spelling quiz how do you spell?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grinder220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: spelling quiz how do you spell?
    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 10:01am
Two words that I've seen spelled two different ways by people and curious how you spell them.
A. duals or duels
B. Disc or disk
I was really curious on the proper spelling of disc-disk so I looked in the books "The allis chalmers storey" and "allis chalmers farm equipment " and in each book spelled it was spelled different.
Sponsored Links

jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 10:09am
My opinion, duals is right, disc I have seen both ways, I think both are right.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 10:10am
duals are mounted.  duels are fought.  and Disk.  that's my opinion lol
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
bradley6874 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradley6874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 10:32am
Disc and disk are both the same a sharp round flat object according to Webster's you work the feild with a disc harrow a harrow with sharp round discs
You can wash the dirt off the body but you can’t wash the farmer out of the heart and soul
steelwheelAcjim View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steelwheelAcjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 10:57am
A "disc" is a piece of tillage equipment.
A "disk" as i was taught was short for "diskette", the old square floppy thing that you put into your first computer and stored files on.

Here's another one...is it axel or axle?

Edited by steelwheelAcjim - 19 Apr 2018 at 10:59am
Pre-WW2 A-C tractors on steel wheels...because I'm too cheap to buy tires!
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 11:36am
axel is an ice skating move axle is what your wheels and tires go on.
D17JIM2 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D17JIM2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 11:51am
Disc, Duals, axle
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 12:20pm
poTAto - potaTO    and the most often misspelled word "separate".....and I would bet in the AC farm equipment it was spelled 'disc' ?   Down thru the years , and in different areas each is used.  I had an Ohio State grad and a Mississippi State alumni almost come to blows  over the c or k useage... one day at the Memphis region office -    one does not go out and do some discing  without being reprimanded by Ms spell check... but one can be found disking ,,,,    We would sell you a disc or a disk - just tell us the size and weight :-)

Edited by tbran - 19 Apr 2018 at 12:21pm
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
Bill_MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 2:03pm
Dual is for tires
Duel is for a gunfight
Disk is for a piece of farm equipment, or a computer disk as it is short for diskette
Disc is for a round flat geometrical shape
Axle as in shaft
Axel is a proper name

Edited by Bill_MN - 19 Apr 2018 at 2:05pm
1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Bill_MN Bill_MN wrote:

Dual is for tires
Duel is for a gunfight
Disk is for a piece of farm equipment, or a computer disk as it is short for diskette
Axle as in shaft
Axel is a proper name

Bill's got it!!
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 4:03pm
Bill_MN, you are spot on. I am amazed or more likely dismayed at the number of people these days that can not spell and/or interchange words like to, too, or two; they're or their; lose or loose. I'm just a dumb old country boy but I had a red headed aunt who was my freshman English teacher and she didn't cut me one bit of slack. I guess she scarred me for life. LOL
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 4:38pm
I was always unsure as to disk and disc, but my Allis manuals say "disc" harrow, so that's what I use now. I agree disk is short for diskette. 
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by Hubert (Ga)engine7 Hubert (Ga)engine7 wrote:

I'm just a dumb old country boy but I had a red headed aunt who was my freshman English teacher and she didn't cut me one bit of slack. I guess she scarred me for life. LOL

I think we need way more like her today, a teacher that can scare the crap out of the whole bunch all at once.
 One misuse of words that cracks me up is are for our Wink
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Bill_MN Bill_MN wrote:

Axel is a proper name

Disc and disk are pretty much interchangeable. 

Axel is perhaps even better known as an ice skating maneuver.
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 10:17pm
Hanger or hangar

HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 10:24pm
i amgoing to tell you guys right now ifeel good about getting words spelled  good enought to be sounded out or copy numbers down and not get them mixed up
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 12:06am
naked or nekkid
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 12:07am
fart or phart
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 3:30am
What really makes me grind my teeth is when someone writes "prolly". Its probably, Idiot!
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 4:25am

I'm with JayIN on that one. I never once heard 'prolly' until I read it on this Forum.

Gary
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 4:49am
It was prolly me...  just saves keystrokes...

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Greg (Hillsboro, OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg (Hillsboro, OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 5:40am
I'm still trying to figure out there "welp" came from?   That one drives me crazy.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 5:45am
There are LOTS of words used in differing parts of the country that a person would not know about if not for travel or reading them on the I net.
I grew up hearing and using pertnear or was it two words, pert near?  Commonly (or used to be anyway) used term in southern MN.

Edited by Butch(OH) - 20 Apr 2018 at 5:47am
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 6:01am
On the Agco parts book on line, search for "DIS", leave brands set to all brands.
Disc is by far the more popular.

Bob J Wi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob J Wi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 8:45am
Here is another one
Yooper and Upper.
Yooper is a human that speaks Yoopanese and
lives in the UP (Upper Penisula of Michigan.)
I speak some Yoopanese but it  is a hard language
to understand.

CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 8:53am
Originally posted by Butch(OH) Butch(OH) wrote:

There are LOTS of words used in differing parts of the country that a person would not know about if not for travel or reading them on the I net.
I grew up hearing and using pertnear or was it two words, pert near?  Commonly (or used to be anyway) used term in southern MN.
Pert near is common in Oklahoma as well. 
johnkc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 8:59am
Greg, that may have came from below the 33rd parallel
I support the development of hybrid automobiles and alternative fuels as I need DIESEL fuel for my ALLIS CHALMERS!
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 10:30am
I was PROLLY one of the ones that used pertnear before. My wife comes from far enough south in Illinois that she say "window seal" instead of window sill LOL
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 2:14pm
Grandma would straighten any bod out on proper grammar. Didn’t matter who you were. However i was always poor at spelling. One word that bothers me is iregardless. It’s a double negative and spell check just accepted it. Regardless covers the point just fine.
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 3:57pm
Tire or Tar?

Creek or crik?

Neither had I ever seen "prolly"  before frequenting the tractor sites.

However, I would not call anyone an idiot for using that misspelling.

I consider myself a fairly good speller but I seem to have gone down hill since
grade school  when I was one of the two best spellers in the whole sixth grade class.

I don't necessarily consider one's spelling a measure of his intelligence and although I might chuckle at some misspelled words, I try to get by that and concentrate on the content of the message which might contain a lot of good information.

I always shy away from criticizing spelling on this site for fear of screwing up a word in my message.

However, as I was typing this, spellcheck corrected me at least three times.  LOL

Ain't technology great?  LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic