This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

spelling quiz how do you spell?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Hubert (Ga)engine7 Hubert (Ga)engine7 wrote:

Bill_MN, you are spot on. I am amazed or more likely dismayed at the number of people these days that can not spell and/or interchange words like to, too, or two; they're or their; lose or loose. I'm just a dumb old country boy but I had a red headed aunt who was my freshman English teacher and she didn't cut me one bit of slack. I guess she scarred me for life. LOL
YES!!!  Bill is as about right as rain.
Hubert, you forgot about there...and there are a host of others!!!  Go back to (I believe it was 1973) when someone wrote about the "Dumbing down of America".  It was true then, and it's getting worse every year since. 
ALL these teachers going on strike and screaming,,,,,,,,,,,,FIRE THE WHOLE works!!!  There are a lot of people out there LOOKING for a job, a career, a lively hood.  Let's bring education BACK!!!!  I DO NOT WANT ANYONE TO TEACH my grandchildren, or great grandchildren....  I WANT SOMEONE TO EDUCATE them.  There is a WORLD of difference.  Those of us who are old enough KNOW this.  The WORST part is the political machine that is trying to coerce our children into being pawns in the political process...WHAT A SHAME!!
SORRY about my ranting,,,,but I truly believe in EDUCATING our prodigy instead of TEACHING them....  Shame on ALL the azzholes who fit into this farce of teaching our children in America.  AND I MEAN FARCE!!!
Teachers who disagree with me,,,,,,,,,wanna sit down and we can argue and YOU WILL LOSE....
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Sponsored Links

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Brian G.  NY Brian G. NY wrote:

Tire or Tar?  Or CORRECT english,,,,,,TYRE

I consider myself a fairly good speller but I seem to have gone down hill since
grade school  when I was one of the two best spellers in the whole sixth grade class.

You had THREE kids in your class??  LMAO!!

However, as I was typing this, spellcheck corrected me at least three times.  LOL

Ain't technology great?  LOL
I guess what makes me SO MAD is the fact that teachers DON'T CARE how you spell anymore.  THEY DON'T GAS!!  (Give a ,,,,,,)

I went BALLISTIC last week when my granddaughter came home with her math and I sat down to help her.  I want to go THROTTLE somebody in that school district!!  SOMEONE NEEDS/DESERVES to get fired over this crap!!!

I'm sorry guys, but my WHOLE, (not hole) life, I was RAISED and EDUCATED (NEVER taught) by NUNS.  YES, I got the GREATEST education you could have and I'm proud of it.  I don't belittle people for the way they spell or talk or read and write.  I just feel that they got short changed in the education department.  The difference........they were taught, NOT EDUCATED...    A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE!!
"Allis-Express"
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by wekracer wekracer wrote:

Grandma would straighten any bod out on proper grammar. Didn’t matter who you were. However i was always poor at spelling. One word that bothers me is iregardless. It’s a double negative and spell check just accepted it. Regardless covers the point just fine.
Not to pick, just to point out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it's irregardless.... TWO r's...  Not TOO or TO, but TWO...
"Allis-Express"
Grayray View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grayray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 6:27pm
Your and You're
There, their, and they're
to, too, and two

I agree with Ted about the "dumbing down of America", and the whole educational system.  The educational system is becoming too lenient, especially with the 3 R's (reading, 'riting and 'rithmetic).  Another part of the problem is the use of texting.  I think texting is a great tool and very useful.  HOWEVER, it is grossly misused and abused. R instead of are.  U instead of you, etc.  People are getting TOO lazy.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Bob J Wi Bob J Wi wrote:

Here is another one
Yooper and Upper.
Yooper is a human that speaks Yoopanese and
lives in the UP (Upper Penisula of Michigan.)
I speak some Yoopanese but it  is a hard language
to understand.

I'll prolly gits in trouble fer this one, too:

[TUBE]TLnmA653f94[/TUBE]

Edited by DiyDave - 20 Apr 2018 at 8:39pm
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 8:49pm
You put on your axle mount duals to go out to the field and use your disc. But when l went across the ditch, did my grill fall off or did my grille fall off ?
Education doesn't make you smart, it makes you educated.
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

Originally posted by wekracer wekracer wrote:

Grandma would straighten any bod out on proper grammar. Didn’t matter who you were. However i was always poor at spelling. One word that bothers me is iregardless. It’s a double negative and spell check just accepted it. Regardless covers the point just fine.
Not to pick, just to point out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it's irregardless.... TWO r's...  Not TOO or TO, but TWO...

U made may point. Gud gramur. Turable spellare
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 12:08am
IG...I say "grille". 

Another spelling/pronunciation annoyance of mine....guys that say, "I drive a Dodge with a Cummings engine". It's Cummins....no "g".
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 5:06am

A glass can be full 'of' water, it can also fall 'off' the table.

Gary
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 5:59am
The word I see misspelled often on this forum is quite, when they mean quiet.

One of my PET peeves is someone saying "unthawing". If it is warm enough that it isn't freezing, it is THAWING! I guess unthawing would be freezing....
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 6:04am
colour NOT color.....hehehe , it's a Candian thing, eh !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
drobCA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drobCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 6:49am
Blaming the teachers is like blaming the assembly workers for a poorly engineered car.
As a former teacher (just one of my careers) I can assure you that teaching policies are made by people who make only token visits to actual classrooms.
And the on-site administrators (principals, etc.) are so focused on their career advancements that they do their best to impress those upper level policy makers with statistics demonstrating how well they are complying.
Thus teachers are quite strongly discouraged from giving F's and strongly rewarded for fudging up on all grades... to the point of threats to close down programs or re-assign teachers to undesirable classes or classrooms.

Their justification - and unfortunately it does make at least some sense in the Alice In Wonderland world of education - is that federal and state funding depends on how well school districts adhere to even well recognized disastrous programs that sound so good like "No Child Left Behind".

end of rant.

3 Ford 8N's I loan to neighbors, but the '52CA, '41B and little B1 I do not.
drobCA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drobCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 7:11am
the use of words like "prolly" would be inappropriate in a formal document, but make a helluva lot of sense when you're yakking' with a buddy -  which is pretty much what this forum is about.

never saw the word before, love it and do not care if it's in Webster's or not.
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 7:18am
The gas station is located on hyway 55, or is it hiway 55? Highway 55?
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 7:58am

I've only ever seen it spelled 2 ways: highway, or abbreviated to hwy.

Gary
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 8:41am
my wife WARSHES her cloths in the ZINK.

Edited by steve(ill) - 21 Apr 2018 at 8:41am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 8:55am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

my wife WARSHES her cloths in the ZINK.

Steve, the 'R' in warsh is the opposite of a silent letter. Not there but pronounced none the less.
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 9:04am
Looks like cabin fever done set in.  

Edited by Don(MO) - 21 Apr 2018 at 9:13am
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 9:18am

Steve, the 'R' in warsh is the opposite of a silent letter. Not there but pronounced none the less.
[/QUOTE]

Now, that's funny!

Some people "drawer" a pitcher and some people draw a picture.

Then, some people keep their "cloths" in a "draw".

Would you give me your grandma's "receipt" for her apple pie?
I heard that lots of times in the old days.
Believe it or not , according to my Webster's dictionary, receipt can be used to
mean recipe.

Probably the most misspelled word on the tractor sites is "carburator"
for carburetor. 

Again, I don't really care as long as the message makes sense otherwise.

Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 9:22am

One of my PET peeves is someone saying "unthawing". If it is warm enough that it isn't freezing, it is THAWING! I guess unthawing would be freezing....[/QUOTE]

Along those same lines, a commonly accepted term is "hot water heater"....
why would you want to heat hot water?
drobCA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drobCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 9:38am
my grammar used to do the warsh...  but then she was from nay-ash-vul.

on the other hand, in Boston all the R's are silent... but definitely not the Irish ladies!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 6:17pm
Something here reminds me of the old story, about the west virginian's wedding.

Boy was nervous about the wedding night, so he asked his uncle/dad, what do I do?

Old man sez Boy, just take that hard thing you play with, and put it where she pees....

[TUBE]3R5gHF0vzew[/TUBE]

so the boy puts his bowling ball, in the sink...Wink

Edited by DiyDave - 21 Apr 2018 at 6:19pm
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 10:13pm
[QUOTE=drobCA]Blaming the teachers is like blaming the assembly workers for a poorly engineered car.
As a former teacher (just one of my careers) I can assure you that teaching policies are made by people who make only token visits to actual classrooms.
And the on-site administrators (principals, etc.) are so focused on their career advancements that they do their best to impress those upper level policy makers with statistics demonstrating how well they are complying.
Thus teachers are quite strongly discouraged from giving F's and strongly rewarded for fudging up on all grades... to the point of threats to close down programs or re-assign teachers to undesirable classes or classrooms.

Their justification - and unfortunately it does make at least some sense in the Alice In Wonderland world of education - is that federal and state funding depends on how well school districts adhere to even well recognized disastrous programs that sound so good like "No Child Left Behind".

Don, I agree with you. Most of the teachers do their best to educate their students but have to put up with overpaid administrators trying to climb the career ladder, unruly students, parents who won't discipline and think their child can do no wrong, and keeping up with all the useless requirements it is a wonder they can teach at all. There are some gad apples just like in any profession but most love their students and try to do their best. One thing that burns me is that 2/3 or more of my property tax bill goes to the school board but teachers have to take their own money to buy classroom supplies.

When my daughter was in elementary school the county was still mostly rural and we had a great principal that RAN the school. It was HER school, HER children and she loved every one of them but she was not afraid to pull out the paddle and use it. She did not back down from any parent, the school superintendent, or anyone else. And she was "Mrs." not "Dr." The school really went down after she retired.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
drobCA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drobCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 12:42am
Hubert - in keeping with the theme here... "Yep!"

ever wonder how a made-up word like that "got started"?
Webster's does include new words every year that are accepted as legit because of "usage".
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 6:50pm
well....I know I've helped ya'll spell words in the forum! should have seen my sgt the first time (maybe the second) I turned in a report for review! LMAO
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 9:23pm
My grandmother's rule, was that we were only allowed to misspell, misuse forms, grammar, or punctuation if we'd proven that we were entirely understanding of how it SHOULD be, and it was only allowed to illustrate a particular circumstance.

The basis of that, was Joel Chandler Harris- author and journalist, who was exceptional not only with proper language, but also very aware of colloquialisms, slang, vernacular, accents and common linguistic mistakes.  He used those intentionally, to draw a mental picture within his readers much deeper than common and proper language would provide.

Many of the 'pert-nears' and 'gontus' are direct result of transitions 'old world' language.  Realize that English (of England) is a substantial conglomeration of languages-  three thousand years of local cultures... Irish, Welsh, Scots... Normans, Romans, Britons... they're all different, and this language WE speak is a successor to that fact.
American English is substantially different to 'England English" as a result of the 'melting pot' of a wide variety of western and eastern Europeans... pick ANY word, and follow roots to somewhere... you'll be surprised to find out how many are 'colored' by the cultural diversity that found it's way here.  Imagine a guy of Germanic persuasion trying to prounouce a Native American name for a river, or a tribe.

But yes, a duel is frequently fought with pistols, but can also be with sword, saber, cutlass, dagger, tanto, dirk, scimitar, rapier, foil, or brand.  Of course, it could be by joust, or fisticuff.  People do it with cars, so  I suppose you could challenge someone to a tractor duel.  I'd rather watch 'backhoe boxing'.

Modern technology promolugates improper usage- particularly spell-checking and 'word-correction'.  I despise those functions- when I INTEND to misuse language, I don't appreciate being 'nanny' corrected by some brainless machine.

So that bein' said, I'll let 'y'all, and for you Texans... All 'y'all... do it on how best you see fit, just so long as you abide by a simple rule:

Don't dare you dare forget Plural and Possession.  I WILL CITE YOU for IMPROPER DISPLAY OF AN APOSTROPHE.

Taco's $1.00
No Pet's allowed
Angry
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Nate (OH) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nate (OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 3:21am
In addition to the fore mentioned I like some peoples usage of sale and sell.    "I have items I'd like to sale" or the infamous "for sell".
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 4:47am
Dave Kamp, I agree, we use language, to paint a picture...  Lets not get into being the grammar police.  If ya wanna ban something, ban the punjab tractor pull...Wink

[TUBE]zfiHpuQvrNE[/TUBE]

Edited by DiyDave - 24 Apr 2018 at 4:48am
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 6:52am
Hee hee... Dave... I don't think we need to ban the Punjab Tractor Pull...

...it'll ban itself, after all the competetors and spectators kill themselves.  LOL
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 7:04am
I.....uh.......have "learned" to tolerate a LOT since the years of first joining this and various other forums.  One thing that's a bummer is the phone and the auto correct, it can really mess with you.  Quite and quiet was mentioned, your dang phone can do that and you're very likely going to miss the change.  There are occasions where the irony of someone's mistake is so immense I sometimes can't let it go.  For example, someone pointing out how they don't need no fancy edumacashun, then call it "collage" instead of college.  That's just funny in my book!

Things that grate me, usually quietly in the background: "prolly", corn stocks (STALKS!), "of" instead of the contraction 've such as should of instead of should've. 

"Pert near", that's just dialect for "pretty near" I always thought. 

Conversational versus written language is interesting, especially (exspecially!Angry) when we try to write a conversation as on here!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic