This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC 200 pulling a plow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob J Wi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC 200 pulling a plow
    Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 4:55pm

I have been looking for a 4 bottom plow for awhile.  I found an IH 720 with 4-18s in really nice shape. I want an opinion from  the forum members , can a 200 pull this plow? It is a spring re-set plow so the frame is really heavy. Soil is not sandy loam but has more clay than it. I know the red and orange will look funny together. Thanks for any opinions and I did not buy it yet.

Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 7:11pm
A 200 without rear fluid and front weights...NO.   Good rear tires (especially 38's) with full fluid and front weights, I don't see why not, as long as the Traction Booster system works like it should. A 5 x 16's plow is 80 inches of cut.  A 4 x 18's is only 72 inches.
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 7:21pm
If you are plowing in corn stalks it should be OK. The 4x18" takes a 72" cut a 5x14" takes a 70" cut. IF you'll be in sod you better look for a 4x14" plow. Who wants to tear up a 40+ year old tractor when a implement a bit undersized lets them just play. Also with heavy clay you'll have larger slabs from 18" bottoms than from smaller 14" or 16" widths. It may take a heavier disc to work the clods down.
From the great uncle that used to own my farm (1924-1977) there was a clay brick works on it in late 1800's. Still has a spot the size of a football field that some springs when you get in it either the tractor spins out or disc rides up out of ground. IF you work that spot when dirt is damp you just made it hard as rock.  
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 7:30pm
I own a nice 4-14 AC bottom plow, would not trade it for the world, great device!
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 7:50pm
we pulled a IH700 4x16 plow behind a Ford 6000 back in the 70s. it had 18.4X38 tires without fluid and 6 weights in the left and two on the right along with 4 of the front weights without problem here in eastern clay.  If you can't pull 4 18s behind a 200 something is wrong. A proper adjusted plow is very easy to pull, a poorly adjusted one is harder to pull than a tree stump.

Edited by PaulB - 18 Mar 2018 at 9:30am
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 8:08pm
I bought a monofrrame Allis Chalmers plow from a fellow at Chatham, Ontario, clay loam soil.  He pulled it with a 200, told me you should not plow fast 4 to 4.5 mph is best.  I pulled the same plow with a 8030 and my 200.  The 200 needed weight, he told me that too, but he was right at 4.4 mph that plow does the best job of any plow I have ever used.
oh yeah, 6 x 18's

My Dad had the same series of plow with 8 furrows behind a 210, in alfalfa, well you used a lower gear and it should have had weights on the front yes...
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 9:59pm
I had a 200 with fluid filled 20.8x34's., and a full rack of front weight's with an AC 5-16 semi-mounted plow back in the late 80's. In the bottom ground, the 200 would walk the dog in 3rd low. On the clay hills, the 200 and the driver had it's hand's full. Power was not a problem in 2nd high, keeping the front tires on the ground was a trick, the more the traction booster raised the lift arms, the higher the front end went. I hate to say it but but the higher the front end got the more I liked it. Pure power, thanks for the memory.
Leon B MO
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 10:12pm
Make sure the front pivot is not froze on that IH PLOW. IF it is, run. A lot of them are froze if they set out side for long.    MACK
Bob J Wi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob J Wi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 9:41am
Thanks for all the advice. I did check the pin and the hitch does pivot.
Bob J Wi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob J Wi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 9:48am
The dealer with plow says it is set up for 30" rows and that I should have 36" from c/l hitch to c/l tires. I measured 39" on the 200.
Will the plow adjust to get the 36"?
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 11:19am
you need to measure from the center of the pto shaft, to the side wall of the drive tires. we had uor plow tractors set for 38 inch rows, even tho those tractors never were used for planting or cultivating/spraying. Both sides should be set the same distance, and your front axles should be set so the tire side walls dont rub the furrow wall.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
steve fischer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve fischer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 11:50am
use to pull a oliver 588 4x20 behind a 190xt sand ground 6 gear and alfalfa 3 rd
caledonian View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caledonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 6:05pm
We had a 2000 monoframe 4x16 plow with harrow behind a 180 diesel in eastern Nebr soil. Worked good. Loved running that outfit.
180Puller View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 180Puller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 7:43pm
Dad bought a new AC 200 in 1973....We always pulled 5x16's with it in fairly easy plowing ground....Go 10 miles north and 4x16's would be a load...A neighbor once pulled a 6x14 Oliver trail plow with a 190 XT and duals....
HaroldOmaha View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaroldOmaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 7:54pm
We were plowing some clay ground and one fella had a big JD tractor and one of those IH plows Mack was talking about. He hit a rock and tripped a bottom. We used levers and jacks and could not get it reset. It was rusted so bad it would not move.
d21_man View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d21_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 8:02pm
Years ago we pulled a semi-mounted JD 4-16 with our 180 that was ballasted and weighted along with a JD 6-16 with our 7000 that was ballasted and weighted. Had no trouble in various northern Indiana soil types. However, a friend of ours seemed to struggle a bit pulling a 5-16 with his 190XT...as the guys mentioned, don't think he had it set up right.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 8:07pm
You should be good with 4-18" and deep in clay with your 200 in 2nd high or 3rd low. Ours just plays them w/38 x 18.4's and weighted 3/4 throttle(does not thrash the engine)
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 10:51pm
One of the local 'boys' was out plowing clay ground with his 966 and 4x16 710 plow and was having a hard time plowing up a 40 acre patch, he went up to the feed mill and met another farmer and told him of his troubles and Mike said your plow isn't set up right... He would be down after dinner with his outfit... Mike would have taken his 1266 but that was hooked to something else... so he rolled in with his 856 without duals on (was his pulling tractor) and his 6X18 720 on-land IH plow... and dropped the plow in the ground and came smoking up to where the 966 was laboring along. They stopped and Murrey looked at the 6x18 behind the 856 and said you can't be pulling that very deep... took out the tape measure and Mike was plowing 8" deep, Murrey was 7"... Mike and Murrey spent about an hour trying to get that 4X16 to plow decent and finally Mike told him to go home and he would finish the field... couple hours later he was done. Murrey traded the plow off and got a 720 4x16 and it pulled much easier.
 Sometimes its the design of the molboards, sometimes its the steel in them.  Dad had 3x14 sc AC plow that had the full plow share and had the old blacksmith put a new edge on them... put them on and went to the field and the old WD could not pull the plow... took the shares back and told the blacksmith he couldn't pull them and the smithie said oh I made them too hard and reheated and re-tempered them and then they slid through the ground like they should have.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 10:16am
Bob I pull that plow with my 200, heavy dirt, fluid in the rear and no front weights. No problem. Does it pull hard? Yes!!

Edited by HD6GTOM - 19 Mar 2018 at 10:18am
aras View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 2:00pm
It's interesting to hear peoples opinions of plows.  Mine is for cornstalks a IH is okay in sod they are rough.  We only use a Kverneland.  Parts may be a bit more but the field is smooth when you're done plowing.  Pulled a 4-16 with a 180 and then a 5-16 with a 200 then a 5-22 with a 8050

AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 6:55am
My brothers 190XT with rear weights pulls my 4x16 semi mount AC plow very well in 2nd HI(or 4th) to be correct by the decal. Was turning over pasture field sod that had not had a plow in it for 15 years. Will be using my XT this year on plow day on March 31st. Fluid filled rears.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Ky.Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ky.Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 10:24am
This has been an interesting thread so I will add my $.02 worth. I used to pull 4x16 AC monoframe plow with Midwest buster bar harrow with my (96Hp) 200 with front weights and loaded rears. It did fine but it was a load when plowing at 8-10". I remember threads on here in the past where guys swear their (54Hp) D-17's pull 3 and 4 bottom plows with ease. I'm confused !!!!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Ky.Allis Ky.Allis wrote:

This has been an interesting thread so I will add my $.02 worth. I used to pull 4x16 AC monoframe plow with Midwest buster bar harrow with my (96Hp) 200 with front weights and loaded rears. It did fine but it was a load when plowing at 8-10". I remember threads on here in the past where guys swear their (54Hp) D-17's pull 3 and 4 bottom plows with ease. I'm confused !!!!

I heard that! There ain't much more confusing in the world than reading through a who pulled what with what plowing thread.

We used to pull a 3 -16 fully integral JD plow with a Massey 165 and a lot of the time had a "sod buster" hitched to it as well, which was like a small offset sheeps foot. I wouldn't say it pulled it easily by any means, but that's what we did.

Upgraded tractors and it TOYED with that 3-16, and we always wanted a semi mount any way, so we bought 4-16 JD semi mount and pulled it. The tractor was a JD 2640. Fluid in the rears, 1 dual, weighted for bear up front, and it pulled it pretty good most of the time, but our areas of clay, hills, and alfalfa ground would give it a workout. We used that for a lot of years.
*edit* I left out a chapter. The first 4-16 semi mount was an Allis monoframe, and I loved that plow. Best we ever did! Pulled easier than the JD we got next.

Bought the Allis 7045, over double the horsepower of the 2640, obviously toyed with the little 4-16, so we bought a 6 bottom variable width, and I'm all over the map trying to pull that thing.

So, I'm confused too!

Edited by Tbone95 - 20 Mar 2018 at 10:40am
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 10:59am
Speed and depth always seemed to increase as HP levels went up. When I plowed with a WD45 and a 3-16's 70 series plow in sod, I'm sure it was never more than 5 inches deep and at a 3 1/2 MPH rated speed (no load speed). So, 3 bottoms X 5 inches deep is 15.  Now, Take a 190 XT or 200 with 5- 16"  bottoms X 7 inches deep you get 35, AND you are pulling it faster than 3 1/2 MPH....closer to 4 1/2 MPH.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 11:21am
'zactly Doc. The guys above talking about how many inches wide the cut is.....That's only 1/2 the story, depth and speed being the other half.

FWIW, I've been trying to set an 8 inch depth on the "new" plow, which is about the same as I've been doing.
180Puller View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 180Puller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Ky.Allis Ky.Allis wrote:

It all goes down to the type of soil you are plowing, the depth you are plowing, and the speed that you are pulling the plow....As I have mentioned I live in an area of easy plowing ground thats kind of sandy with a few clay spots....All WD-45's pulled 3 bottoms and all D-17's pulled 4 bottoms...All 190 XT's and 200's pulled 5 bottoms....My 7040 and 7060 AC's played with my 6x16 AC plow at 8-9" depth..I had an 856 IH that had no problem with my 6x16 plow but it had 150 horses from lots of modifications for tractor pulling..When the new 220's came out our local dealer had a plowing demonstration and the 220 was pulling 7x16's with ease..I made one round with it..

About 6-10 miles north of me is a small area of real heavy black gumbo soil that plows hard..I never plowed in it but I'll guarantee that you will take one bottom off from my soil to that soil and you will still struggle....There are a great many soil types in this country and everyone of them plows differently....A 5 bottom tractor in one area is barely a 4 bottom tractor in another area..

Edited by 180Puller - 20 Mar 2018 at 12:50pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic