This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

bad blowby on hd5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bad blowby on hd5
    Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 6:14pm
i started the old hd5 for the first and was starting to get really bad blowby after a couple of hours running.
I ended up doing some internet searches to see if there was a cure and most people were saying worn rings or cylinder, but one person said they put seafoam in crankcase with oil. I did 2 oil changes with seafoam added and about 2hours of running at a higher rpm between each oil change.
The old hd has next to nothing for blowby now , I am pretty happy that it doesn't need a rebuild
Sponsored Links

jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 6:11am
Great news. Be sure to let us know if it holds up. Would be great if it holds up. I've heard Seafoam can help in some cases but never sure if it was hype or fact.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 6:30pm
Sounds like the rings were stuck and came loose. Always a relief when you dont have to rebuild
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 7:06pm
We used to put a quart of Rislone with an oil change in old engines with a LOT of sitting time for the carbon to lock the rings up. Stuff worked great.
serioussam View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 1:47am
ya a relief that i don't have to rebuild .pretty sure rings were stuck
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 6:07am
Which 'seafoam' product ? I'd like to try in my A-C forklift that has a LOT of blowby...
thanks
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 12:13pm
I used the Seafoam
auto marine fleet motor treatment
I followed the instructions on the can by adding 30ml of seafoam to 1L of oil
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 12:57pm
WTH IS A LITRE??
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 1:02pm
probably close to a quart,
I'm pretty sure seafoam in the states would be imperial. Up here in Canada everything is pretty much metric
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 3:31pm

re..
Up here in Canada everything is pretty much metric

yeah, the guv forced it down our thoats to be 'Worldy'..
the real kicker is that when THEY want a bad guy , the cops and media say...
suspect is 6 FOOT 3 INCHES, weighs between 180 to 200 POUNDS

there's 3.78 litres in an American gallon...
if gas is $1.20 / liter that's $4.17 CDN for a US gallon..
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 4:10pm
Hahahahaha. Never can make the conversations and have to google the conversation scale. I was just jerking your chain.   
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 5:27pm
Back when I went thru the U of md, the big thing was teaching us ignorant farm boys to convert oz to ml.  Bet I had 6 classes a year that that was a week of the class.  I turfgrass lab I was gettin A nice nap, when the TA woke me up, and asked me to go to the front, and convert 12 oz to ml, on the chalkboard.  I walked up, without battin an eyelid, and wrote 12 oz=355ml.  He asked me what was the mathematical proof that the answer is right.  I asked him if the department of weights and measures would do the math wrong?

Then I pulled out a Bud empty, and showed him, See, its right here, on the label.  Whole lab liked to bust a gut laughin, and he didn't ask me no more questions...Wink
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 5:40pm
"WHAT IS A LITRE??"

A liter spelled correctly
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Ian Beale Ian Beale wrote:

"WHAT IS A LITRE??"

A liter spelled correctly

Indeed. You mean a little?
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Back when I went thru the U of md, the big thing was teaching us ignorant farm boys to convert oz to ml.  Bet I had 6 classes a year that that was a week of the class.  I turfgrass lab I was gettin A nice nap, when the TA woke me up, and asked me to go to the front, and convert 12 oz to ml, on the chalkboard.  I walked up, without battin an eyelid, and wrote 12 oz=355ml.  He asked me what was the mathematical proof that the answer is right.  I asked him if the department of weights and measures would do the math wrong?

Then I pulled out a Bud empty, and showed him, See, its right here, on the label.  Whole lab liked to bust a gut laughin, and he didn't ask me no more questions...Wink

I remember those days Dave. They where going to convert all  us red neck hill billies they kept telling me. The Land of Fruits and Nuts even made a few hiway signs with kilowhat evers  as well as mile to this and that.

Had a forage crops class had to have the newest edition of the book an that sucker was $80 back in 77 or 78 and no used copies around. Well the only thing that was different was it had metric as well as are lbs and acres. Professor was not a bad guy an after he figured out what was up says your all smart enough to do the math with a formula to do converting back and forth,so that is not what I want you to know when we are done.  For seat of the tractor math lbs/acre is real close to kilo/hectare as this is not a math class.

I do see the value of being on the same system as the rest of the world is on,but by this stage of my life I ant changing now.     
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 7:14pm
Re Ray54

" kilowhat evers  as well as mile to this and that."

You mean those centipede things?

I think metric went a long way backwards when they started honours by using names, not the units from which that particular measurement is derived.  To say nothing of interesting conversions WITHIN METRIC.  From Mitsubishi experience

1 kg/m = 7.233 ft lbs = 9.807 Nm

Later

There is a small fight back in Portugese - wheel rims are quoted in polegadas (thumbs)

Though the Irish version of avoirdupois weight system as "depends on the size of your paws"

Edited by Ian Beale - 18 Mar 2018 at 9:25pm
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 7:17pm
"Indeed. You mean a little?"

Only if you use spell check as gospel and not just a suggestion
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

I remember those days Dave. They where going to convert all  us red neck hill billies they kept telling me. The Land of Fruits and Nuts even made a few hiway signs with kilowhat evers  as well as mile to this and that.

Had a forage crops class had to have the newest edition of the book an that sucker was $80 back in 77 or 78 and no used copies around. Well the only thing that was different was it had metric as well as are lbs and acres. Professor was not a bad guy an after he figured out what was up says your all smart enough to do the math with a formula to do converting back and forth,so that is not what I want you to know when we are done.  For seat of the tractor math lbs/acre is real close to kilo/hectare as this is not a math class.

I do see the value of being on the same system as the rest of the world is on,but by this stage of my life I ant changing now.     

Was the cover green?  Forages by Heath, Metcalf, Barnes?  Still have that one, and yep everything is in metric, even the laughs, ha ha ha...Wink
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 9:22pm
I concede that my disrespectful attempt at humor at the expense of our friend the metric system was a failure.

Think I'll just get a 2 liter of pop/sofa and call it a nite.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 9:27pm
Jerbob

One has to keeps ones practice at "tongue in cheek" up to scratch

Remember that Shakespeare spelled it his way and he's famous

Cheers

Ian

Edited by Ian Beale - 18 Mar 2018 at 9:30pm
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 5:56am
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 6:51am
Another comment on the world going down the toilet by using the metric system.
The metric system is based on an error in measurement. Google it

Archie Bunker
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Ian Beale Ian Beale wrote:

"Indeed. You mean a little?"

Only if you use spell check as gospel and not just a suggestion

I think this is aimed my way??? 

I cannot say if just lazy brain or early Alzheimer but the pony motor(pup on your side of the water?) just fired and diesel coming up to speed, I should of said Meters.

I have all kinds of handycaps most of them not even named by science at this time.I never can remember where the . goes an if a per or post with them, an then the 10's or 100's or even 1000's and what the Greek or Latin name is. And I be so befuddled I am using spell check as best I can. 

An I did say the other way has many better ways. Just that I don't know them.

On second look someway or another I missedConfused something. But hay Ian, donkey head from your side has been to see me over here more than once so you know what kind people I will hang out with. An for those that don't know donkey head just don't pay an mind to me.LOL

And to the original poster my most humble apology for taking this more off the tracks than it was before I came along.  

Edited by Ray54 - 19 Mar 2018 at 12:32pm
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 12:22pm
Was the cover green?  Forages by Heath, Metcalf, Barnes?  Still have that one, and yep everything is in metric, even the laughs, ha ha ha...Wink
[/QUOTE]
Yes it was green and very thick.I do believe for some reason I cannot name now I did not sell this book for the pittance It would of got me. At the campus of California State Polytechnic  University  San Luis Obispo there was a independent group that ran a used text book business. They payed a penny or two more than the schools book store and sold used for a penny or two less. So as soon as I had D+ passing grade in hand, books like computer programming for aggies  was on it way to the used book place. The State could not stand the computation and put them out of business. Now of course we have the net and capitalism is everywhere.    
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 2:19pm
Everyone had the same major.
Everyone lived in the same house.
Took classes together.
One book. Four sh!tkickers.

Edited by exSW - 19 Mar 2018 at 2:20pm
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

Yes it was green and very thick.I do believe for some reason I cannot name now I did not sell this book for the pittance It would of got me. At the campus of California State Polytechnic  University  San Luis Obispo there was a independent group that ran a used text book business. They payed a penny or two more than the schools book store and sold used for a penny or two less. So as soon as I had D+ passing grade in hand, books like computer programming for aggies  was on it way to the used book place. The State could not stand the computation and put them out of business. Now of course we have the net and capitalism is everywhere.    
[/QUOTE]

Dis da one?  'bout the size of yer average Bible...

Today only, $3.79...Wink
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 4:41am
them big pop bottles is 2 litre's
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 3:53pm
lolol

Im staying out of this one. I have done enough damage.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 1:17am
I have over 10 hours on it since I did the last oil change and still next to nothing for blow by
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 5:10am
This post bein at the top, again reminds me of another pun...

What is the capacity of monica lewinski's mouth?

One U.S. leader...Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic