This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Painting tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Painting tips
    Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 7:55pm
As I get my thoughts around painting my tractor I wanted to ask for a few pointers or ask for things to avoid when painting engine and engine compartment.

Things to avoid?
Things to tape off or being careful of painting?
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 9:35am
as far as hurting anything with paint or overspray, I don't think you can, but certain things sure look better if taped off like hoses.  AC MEL probably has a few tips on painting a dozer but I will say to make sure you wash down with a paint prep and/or thinner or you will be wasting your time.  Any oil residue underneath will yield poor results.

at my previous job we did restorations.  I spent many hours washing items with paint prep from an hvlp gun and running a tack rag.  its a lot of work to do it right.   ill take mechanical work over it any day.

Edited by CAL(KS) - 13 Mar 2018 at 9:37am
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 12:49pm
I can tell you one important thing from past experience, If you are planning on doing a full prep on the tractor, all that time and effort will be wasted, if you don' use a high quality paint. I shouldn't say wasted because the tractor gets cleaned up and will look spiffy for a while, I should say your efforts will be diminished by a severely faded and oxidized low quality paint job. Stay away from any raw or synthetic enamels, if you can use mineral spirits or naphtha or water to reduce it don't use it, stay away unless you are planning to keep it inside forever, the sun will wash it out in no time. Here in CA or at least SLO county, of course, you can't get the high quality paints that used to work great, like acrylic enamel with the additional hardener, DuPont "Centari" was a very durable paint, I have paint jobs from the 1970's that still look great other that wear and tear. In Ca, you can still buy Poly-Urethane,( Valspar, Nason, Martin Senour, Dupont, PPG) used to be DuPont "Imron" and Ditzler(PPG) "Deltron" great paint. Poly paint is a catylized paint that stands up very well to sun and wear, but be prepared for what it costs. Stay away from 2-stage paints because of the clear coats that will lift and peel in time and sun, just as all the newer cars do. On my 11, after stripping and blasting and hours of prep, I went the cheap route with Tisco brand synthetic enamel with a hardener,   BIG MISTAKE    now my beautiful orange tractor is almost yellow from oxidation. Lesson Learned. I don't know where you are but there are still good paints available, try and stick with them, it will be costly but much more rewarding. Check with Mel, he has done a bunch of paint.   Tad

Edited by Tad Wicks - 13 Mar 2018 at 12:50pm
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 5:58am
Originally posted by CAL(KS) CAL(KS) wrote:

as far as hurting anything with paint or overspray, I don't think you can, but certain things sure look better if taped off like hoses.  AC MEL probably has a few tips on painting a dozer but I will say to make sure you wash down with a paint prep and/or thinner or you will be wasting your time.  Any oil residue underneath will yield poor results.

at my previous job we did restorations.  I spent many hours washing items with paint prep from an hvlp gun and running a tack rag.  its a lot of work to do it right.   ill take mechanical work over it any day.

Thank you Cal, I am doing a lot of paint prep. Degrease and steam power washing when weather permits. Parts able to be removed such as floor plates, air filter assembly, seat frame, sprocket covers, battery boxes and dash parts are all getting stripped, sanded, primed and painted.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 6:06am
Originally posted by Tad Wicks Tad Wicks wrote:

I can tell you one important thing from past experience, If you are planning on doing a full prep on the tractor, all that time and effort will be wasted, if you don' use a high quality paint. I shouldn't say wasted because the tractor gets cleaned up and will look spiffy for a while, I should say your efforts will be diminished by a severely faded and oxidized low quality paint job. Stay away from any raw or synthetic enamels, if you can use mineral spirits or naphtha or water to reduce it don't use it, stay away unless you are planning to keep it inside forever, the sun will wash it out in no time. Here in CA or at least SLO county, of course, you can't get the high quality paints that used to work great, like acrylic enamel with the additional hardener, DuPont "Centari" was a very durable paint, I have paint jobs from the 1970's that still look great other that wear and tear. In Ca, you can still buy Poly-Urethane,( Valspar, Nason, Martin Senour, Dupont, PPG) used to be DuPont "Imron" and Ditzler(PPG) "Deltron" great paint. Poly paint is a catylized paint that stands up very well to sun and wear, but be prepared for what it costs. Stay away from 2-stage paints because of the clear coats that will lift and peel in time and sun, just as all the newer cars do. On my 11, after stripping and blasting and hours of prep, I went the cheap route with Tisco brand synthetic enamel with a hardener,   BIG MISTAKE    now my beautiful orange tractor is almost yellow from oxidation. Lesson Learned. I don't know where you are but there are still good paints available, try and stick with them, it will be costly but much more rewarding. Check with Mel, he has done a bunch of paint.   Tad

Great response Tad. Thank you for the details. Agree with your thoughts on paint quality. Stripping, sanding, priming and painting is my process. Compressor in not large enough to do a good job sand blasting. Have a 4000 psi 4gpm steam power washer and will be cleaning her up in spring. As for paint, I am using Van Sickle enamel. My tractor will be kept in the barn and not for paying jobs but more for hobby projects on the property. Jer bob.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 6:35am
The BIG thing that has stopped me cold from painting  is oil leaks!
After all your prep, when you're ready to paint.STOP, Let the tractor sit overnight(or longer) and then drag a clean paper towel over it. ANY oil on the paper towel is a clear signal 'some' seal, some where is leaking a bit of oil.
The problem is that when you spray that area some of the oil will get blown 'all over' and ruin your pretty paint job. You'll get a million 'fisheyes'.
As for the actual paint, that depends on the use of the tractor. If a 'trailer queen - show piece', 'base-clear' as it'll never see rain or sun most of it's life. For a 'daily driver'. 'single stage' would be a good choice. For real farm use. 'epoxy' will be the toughest.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 7:00am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

The BIG thing that has stopped me cold from painting  is oil leaks!
After all your prep, when you're ready to paint.STOP, Let the tractor sit overnight(or longer) and then drag a clean paper towel over it. ANY oil on the paper towel is a clear signal 'some' seal, some where is leaking a bit of oil.
The problem is that when you spray that area some of the oil will get blown 'all over' and ruin your pretty paint job. You'll get a million 'fisheyes'.
As for the actual paint, that depends on the use of the tractor. If a 'trailer queen - show piece', 'base-clear' as it'll never see rain or sun most of it's life. For a 'daily driver'. 'single stage' would be a good choice. For real farm use. 'epoxy' will be the toughest.

Thank you. I'm lucky that I have a bry machine in most cases. Only place where yo see oil or runoff is around 1 exhaust outlet. An oily black drip under the exhaust manifold. Not sure if just loose, which I tightened to spec or a bad exhaust gasket. I pulled off the muffler for repair and clean up with a high temp black paint when done and want to pull entire manifold forclean up, all gaskets replaced and torqued down to spec. Rest of engine and compartment is dry and just dirty.

Thank you for the response.
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 4:20pm
I took a look at the Van Sickle web site, interesting, probably not available in CA. I believe the Alkyd Enamel is the same as synthetic enamel, reduced with Naphtha or a modified version there of. The Tisco paint was an alkyd enamel, even with the gloss-hardener, very, very, very bad. I can't really blame it all on the paint, CA sunshine had a lot to do with it as well, I should have built a barn. Be careful as well of acrylic lacquer primer, my limited experience with it bares a mention as well, if you plan to topcoat with enamels you have about a 24 hour window to get it done, if you don't, it hardens off and then you have to scuff the entire paint job with 3M brite pad or equivalent, it will not accept enamel topcoats well after the time limit, another thing it is well known for is cracking and severe checking, under the topcoat, it dries fast and hard and I am sure that our warm climate exacerbates that as well. I also have a very bad opinion of clear topcoats, in the hot,sunny parts of the country they will not stand up at all, the sad part is clear topcoats make great painters(which I am not) out of all of us, they are almost infallible when it comes to metallics and modern colors because they give the ability to get the base coat on straight and proper and then the final finish and gloss come from the clear. I personally prefer an acrylic or poly color finish that has been cut and rubbed to that of a clear finish, it has to do with luster rather than gloss, the gloss is to sticky sweet, luster gives you depth, like the hand rubbed lacquers of days gone by. A quick note about acrylic enamels is they tend to orange peel very very easily, multi, wide dryer passes to achieve a wet coat works better than one or two heavy passes even with a tack coat.  Good luck    Tad

Edited by Tad Wicks - 14 Mar 2018 at 4:25pm
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 5:28pm
Thank you Tad. Very good detailed information. My baby will never sleep outside again for what's that worth. My goal is to get her presentable and looking clean and not static display presentable. That said I have been happy with the VanSickle product but have just been using rattle cans for all the parts I have taken off tractor. They look good so far. When weather warms I will be spraying with HVLP gun. I agree on type of paint I am getter product marked Premium.

NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 5:23pm
aluminum foil is handy to cover some things for painting

HD3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic