This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD4 brakes and clutches

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD4 brakes and clutches
    Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 8:00pm
Pulled my HD4 into the shop to replace brakes and clutches. Takes some work to get to them. Got the covers off and looking at them.I will try to keep up with time and hard it is.  I will keep you posted. Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Sponsored Links

Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 9:11pm
ok
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 9:19pm
Randal, using your advice has helped tremendously. I hope to have them out soon. Busy working on paying jobs. Tracy
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 11:43pm
sounds good. don't let it aggravate you too much. good luck.
farmtoybuilder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmtoybuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 8:23am
They are a pain!!!!!!!! We should take left side apart again on our HD3. put new disc and pressure plate in it and new pressure plate must have wrong springs in it. As it doesn't take much of a load for it to slip!
5 different TT-10's,5 TT-18's Terra Tigers,B-10,2 B-207's,B-110,2 B-112's,HB-112,B-210,B-212,HB212,2 Scamp's & Homilite T-10. Still hunting NICE HB-112 & anything Terra Tiger & Trailers for them.   
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 10:49am
check the adjustment on the left side lever to make sure the disengage bearing is not against the clutch release fingers. Probably will need to take cover plate off to be sure. Just a thought.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmtoybuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 2:11pm
We did recheck it and it has free travel between fingers and brg.. Just must have weaker springs than old ones. Always something on this old stuff!

5 different TT-10's,5 TT-18's Terra Tigers,B-10,2 B-207's,B-110,2 B-112's,HB-112,B-210,B-212,HB212,2 Scamp's & Homilite T-10. Still hunting NICE HB-112 & anything Terra Tiger & Trailers for them.   
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 9:09pm
did you adjust the spring tension per the book .
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 7:05pm
Got the brake pivot pins out. Had a time getting the sheet metal bracket that holds shuttle shift lines together off. It will need new rubber blocks. My ROPS has a bar that is about a foot off of the final drives. Makes getting to everything much harder. Two people would make it go easier and faster.
  Next up is getting the bolts out of flywheel side of clutch and the clutch pivot pin. Then to get the drive shaft retaining ring out.  Tracy
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmtoybuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 1:19pm
Is no adjustment for springs, it was a brand new pressure plate.

Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 6:46pm
there is no set screw within a nut at end of spring which holds finger in place with spring under it ? I will check my repair manual but, I believe the top of the fingers which contacts the through out bearing is supposed to be 1 3/4 inches from the side of the last clutch installed to the flat edge of each finger. will let you know the correct distance tomorrow.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmtoybuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 7:43am
That just adjust fingers! Doesn't change spring pressure. We use to sell them and have service manual and books. Thanks for trying to help!  

Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 3:51pm
thanks for explanation. they do move toward the disengage bearing as clutches wear. slipping might be from oil on clutches during assembling.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 10:53pm
A little update on HD4 clutches. I don't like working on them! All for now. Tracy
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 7:37am
Evidently couple different type clutches were used in the H4 tractors as have heard single disc to multi-plate . 
 Found the sliding of the drive axle and retrieval were the one problem . 
Had more problems with final drive bearings and axles - outboard bearing failure and worn case , along with broken axles . Used a speedy sleeve on last one to get new surface for seal to ride on rather than put in rewelded axle that had been machined back to spec . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 6:09pm
Mine has multiple plates in it. Got the rear skid plate off today. Scraped out bunch of dirt and stuff out. I can drive the clutch fork pivot pins up and out now. This is definitely not a job for the faint of heart!
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 10:24pm
the clutch pivot pin must have been really seized bad. I could take channel locks and pull mine up and out. where are you at now with clutches ? did you have bearing slack in pinion axle bearing for bull gear. I always used short pry bar and checked for slack after the drive axle was slid back.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 9:57pm
The flat rate manual on the HD4 is a lie! Got the LH clutch fork pin up today. The RH side is a different story. Could get it to move either direction. Stuck tight. Cut off a bar of steel and put a hydraulic jack under dozer to push  against pin.It would raise dozer off the floor. Cut me off a piece of 3/8 x 6 CRS bar, drilled a 3/4 hole in one end, 1/2 in other. Welded the bar to the pin still in clutch fork. Weld a 1/2 hex bolt in other hole. Took pry bar and pryed against housing  and bar, with jack under tractor. Finally got a little movement on pin. Then put a socket on bolt and moved it one direction, then opposite direction. Got it pretty freed up now. Will have to cut bar off tomorrow.This has been a job so far. I did remember some choice words I had forgot!  
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 6:25am
Wow this is s horror story. Kudos for not giving up and getting medival in that stuck pin. Good luck. If possible pics would be great just to show someone like me how to work out a problem of this type.
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 4:01pm
The shaft and pin on these little AC designs as it pertains to removal of the steering clutch can be problematic.  

Hydraulic pressure, lubricant and time also works.  

Orangeman

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 4:21pm
Been on it all day. Got both stilt pins out. Unbolted the clutch from pinion flange on both sides. Like to never got the retainer ring up and off. The previous genius placed the retainer clip under a pressure plate finger. No way to get it off or up. Took finger off and was able to remove it.Got drive shaft all the way in on LH side. Clutch assembly will not lift up. The pressure plate spring cages will not clear throw out bearing. Looks to be about 1/8 too long.
 Register ring on fly wheel sticks out about an 1/8 inch. Can't get it tilted enough to clear throw out bearing. because it hits the pinion drive flange. The guy that figured the time in flat rate manual is a damn liar, to say the least. Couldn't be done that easily straight off the assembly line!

Edited by Tracy Martin TN - 09 Mar 2018 at 4:21pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 8:06pm
Finally go both clutches out today. Had to really polish the sleeve behind the throw-out bearing carrier. Finally got enough room to get the pressure plate springs by the throw-out bearing.  Had to cut the swelled head off clutch fork pivot pins. Going to try to replace the pinion seals and differential seals also. Not easy task with tanks and Rops on machine. I hope I can replace pinion seals without breaking tracks or removing sprocket.  Been a job from hell so far. More to come later. Tracy
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 8:45pm
Got the snap ring out od pinion cover today.Had to make a couple of special tools to work behind the sprocket with. Not much room at all. Like to never got the cover out. Had to weld a bar across the nut to use pry bars against. Finally got it out. Flat rate manual is a lie!
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 7:12am
Tracy - these trials and tribulations on your wonderful HD4 make me think of the song - I've been working on the railroad all my liv long day"  Just change out railroad for AC crawler.  I think the old Warner Brothers cartoons with Bugs and Yoesemite  Sam opened with that tune....:)

With your talents am sure you will have that cherry machine back and running soon!

Orangeman

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 9:23am
Orangeman, thanks for the compliments.Should have done it long ago. I have several projects going at one time. The HD4 is high on the list to get out of my way. I have about 5 acres of sprucing up I need to do. Thanks Again, Tracy
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 5:53pm
Got the left hand side snap ring off today. Haven't gotten the cover off yet. Welded a piece to cover hoping I can pry it out. If I forgot to say, the flat rate manual is a damn lie!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic