This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Guy debating

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 3:31pm
Well. good for you, brewvet! And welcome to the AC world and this forum. Hope you have a grand time with your B. Yes, you can post a video. Start by clicking on the "Post Reply" button below the last post. This opens a box with more options than the post box at the bottom of the page....one of which allows you to post a video.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Sponsored Links

Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 5:34pm
The only B operating manual I have is for a military B.
http://geraldj.networkiowa.com/Trees/BMilitary.pdf
I do have a shop manual on line:
http://geraldj.networkiowa.com/Trees/Allis-Chalmers-G-B-C-CA-Service.pdf

Years a go I had an 8N. I found it a useless toy. Too light for real work. I tried garden plowing one year and when the plow pulled hard the 3 point hitch took weight off the rear tires and they tilled more dirt than the plow turned over.

With the 8N PTO driven by the intermediate shaft in the transmission it is crucial to have an overrunning clutch on the PTO drive so the spinning inertia of the PTO driven mower doesn't drive the tractor even with the transmission clutch pushed or the engine stopped.

I was very happy to see it leave.

Gerald J.

drobCA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drobCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 5:46pm
yahoo!!! we are all eager to see the video and your ear to ear grin.

and btw - you won't have to sleep next to it tonight.  it won't run away.  Wink

Edited by drobCA - 24 Feb 2018 at 5:48pm
3 Ford 8N's I loan to neighbors, but the '52CA, '41B and little B1 I do not.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Dave(inMA) Dave(inMA) wrote:

Well. good for you, brewvet! And welcome to the AC world and this forum. Hope you have a grand time with your B. Yes, you can post a video. Start by clicking on the "Post Reply" button below the last post. This opens a box with more options than the post box at the bottom of the page....one of which allows you to post a video.

8th symbol from left, the filmstrip is the icon you need to click on, on the long form post reply button.  Or click on post options, Quote, and it'll take you to the long form, too...Thumbs Up
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 6:29pm
Matthew, welcome to the Forum and congratulations on your purchase of a B. Tyler's CA would have been a good choice also. You will be able to get plenty of advice and guidance on here. I grew up on a B and a WD and love them both. As said earlier the Cub is just a toy. Creston is fond of the 8N but I think Rachel (story from sometime back) has been whispering things in his ear that he shouldn't listen to.
BTW would you happen to have any relatives up around Jacksboro or Dogtrot, TN?
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 7:39pm
Welcome to the 'club' !!!

Yup, it starts with one tractor, a B in your case...then you'll see a 'parts' B for sale, that'll come home with you...then you'll get it running, hmmm still need parts for the 1st one, so you buy another 'parts' tactor, but, well, somehow switching the wires from 1-2-3-4 to 1-2-4-3 got it running REAL good... so you can steal parts from it can you?

When you get to #3, well, you're hooked, you've got 'orange blood fever'
Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 12:12am
Welcome to the forum!  Getting a B will make our friend Bill Long very happy!!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 12:46am
Originally posted by Gerald J. Gerald J. wrote:

Years a go I had an 8N. I found it a useless toy. Too light for real work. I tried garden plowing one year and when the plow pulled hard the 3 point hitch took weight off the rear tires and they tilled more dirt than the plow turned over.

With the 8N PTO driven by the intermediate shaft in the transmission it is crucial to have an overrunning clutch on the PTO drive so the spinning inertia of the PTO driven mower doesn't drive the tractor even with the transmission clutch pushed or the engine stopped.

I was very happy to see it leave.

Gerald J.

If they're too light for "real work", I guess my great-grandpa wasn't a "real farmer", because that's all he ever had. 
The plowing problem is the classic symptom of either having your lift lever too low on the quadrant or having worn/mis-adjusted linkages under the top cover. Either is an easy remedy. I was 15 when I first plowed with mine, and I remember thinking it was a flawed system as well. Really jerky draft control, plow was always too deep or barely scraping the ground. Lots of "lug, spin tires, *plow bumps up* lurch forward, *plow drops back down* lug, spin tires..." and on and on. Once I learned you don't shove the lever all the way down, plowing was fast, and the draft control worked seamlessly. Just lower the lever enough so the plow settles on the ground, then go down another inch, and it will be set just about perfect for plowing deep in clay with minimum slippage. 

Funny story I just remembered...an old teacher of mine used to have an 8N he liked pretty well, but he said every time he plowed the front end came off the ground. Not sure what he was doing, but something was definitely not set right.

As far as the PTO...the B is the same way...no ORC, no quick stop...

Glad the OP got a B, nonetheless. They are nice tractors, I agree. Like was stated, you can convert to 3pt if you wish, which is a lot better than nothing. Hope to see more pics once you get it home! 
Something interesting about the B (I don't know if it's true or not) but I read Henry Ford really liked them, so he bought one in 1938, and based the design of his new 9N off of it. 

Edited by CrestonM - 25 Feb 2018 at 1:03am
dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 5:41am
welcome to the club, glad ya didn't buy a cub...hey a new poem....

b's are great little tractors, nieghbor used his with a 5ft brush hog....just chugged a long. if you can't find an answer on this forum about a B there isn't an answer out there.  Don't be afraid to ask a question folks on here have been using allis's for generations, even if you get a manual check with the folks on here, they will most likely have a tip or two to make the job easier.
Just cause it's orange don't make it a tractor, there's only one..Allis Chalmers
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 7:52pm
Congrats on your purchase Brewvet! You are an AC man now. Hope you will enjoy it. We are anxious to see the video. I still haven't learned how to post them myself. Put it on youtube and post the link. That's what I did, and a lot of others as well.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by brewvet brewvet wrote:

Well I jumped in with both feet, offer accepted on the Allis B. I have a video of it starting up, real pretty tractor and runs great. Is it possible to post a video here?

Super excited

Upload your video to youtube. Then you can add a link here a couple different ways.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
brewvet View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brewvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 2:57pm
Well the seller backed out on me, we agreed to finalize the deal this week then I get an email that he changed his mind. So back to square one.

I will keep looking, gonna expand the search to include the CA also. Seems to be quite a few of those arround.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 3:05pm
If you have the option, all things considered, the CA is a better tractor. 4 gears,semi live PTO, tad more power, spinout rims, but money talks !
Jay

mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 4:46pm
Hey that does happen. I had 2 deals on B's fall apart but I finally found one to throw money at. Like said before find something that will suit your needs and buy it. Good luck!
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 10:49pm
I know it seems frustrating to not have a deal work out, but give it time and the right deal will come along. I searched 8 years for a good All-Crop Super 100...found probably 6 or 7 over the years. Missed out on some, and others were just junk, but looking back I'm "super" excited how it all turned out. Wouldn't have it any other way. 

So keep your head up...you'll get the right one sooner or later! 
dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 4:45am
a B is a great little tractor, but a live pto is great to have when brush hogging or cutting fields.  bummer your deal fell through, we've all been there.  Don't be affraid to look outside your area for a tractor, if you find one and need it hauled put a post on forum.  worked for me when I bought a d14 in new york and i live in central pa.  fella that hauled gave a great price and was a real nice fella to deal with...he also had a set of rims and tires that I needed. dt
Just cause it's orange don't make it a tractor, there's only one..Allis Chalmers
bikley View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 5:04am
Originally posted by Hubnut Hubnut wrote:

I agree with BEK.  There are WAY more Bs and Cs in the North GA, SC, NC region
than here in FL.  Indeed, the snap coupler Bs were very popular in this
region.  I've been watching several Bs near Charlotte and that one that
BEK showed is very nice and fairly priced in my opinion.  Costs me 3-4
grand (including tractor purchase price) to properly restore a B and it'll never be worth more than $2500
on it's best day.  Sad, but true.  I've owned cubs too (lowboys).  Twice.  Both times I found
working on them a pain in the rear. and I sold them.  The AC B is easy to work on and
parts are readily available.  Here are my Bs and Cs shoehorned into my garage.  Get the B.

Hubnut I need a better picture of the whie one
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 5:44pm
Here you go.

1940 B "Lucy"
1941 B w/ Woods L59 "Flavia"
1942 B w/ finish mower "Dick"
1941 C w/ 3-point "Maggie"
1947 C SFW w/ L306 "Trixie"
1972 314H
brewvet View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brewvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 6:30pm
So found another b within 200 miles of me going to look at it this weekend, the pictures and description seem that it's in nice shape. It has been converted to 12 volts, runs and drives, has been repainted and comes with cultivators. He says tires are about 50 percent tread and hold air. He drove it in a tractor parade and had no issues. Price seems right at $1400.00.

Anything else to pay attention to, common issues?

Thanks
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 6:47pm
Read the manuals I posted links to Saturday and you will probably know more about the tractor than the seller.

Gerald J.
Wdtractorman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wdtractorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 8:53pm
It wont be a popular answers but id get both. My b it better for plowing and disking, and mowing. And i like the cub for cultvating, and mowing with the belly mounted sickel mower. I plow and disk with the cub too but the b just has more umph.
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 9:03pm
I think you lucked out brewvet. If that seller hadn't backed out on you, you wouldn't have found the B with the cultivators. The cultivators are very important. What the cultivators mean is you will be able to use this tractor for something other than pulling wagons. You can't just run out and buy cultivators for a B anytime. If I had cultivators for mine, that would make the tractor more useful for me, thus making it more valuable to me.
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 9:21am
I rode a cub like the one in picture.I now own a B.We had sickle mower like one in picture and cuil ,planter and plow .One year we cuil over 50 acres and mowed several acres with cub.Everone said they needed a little more power.If i had say 5 acres i would go with cub .Attachment are a  lot eaiser to  mount and no comparison in lift.
brewvet View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brewvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 5:48am
All,

So I have found a 'b' I am going to look at this weekend. The owner sent me some pics and would like your thoughts.

Looks like the PTO was painted over, also not seeing hydraulics?

Thoughts?

Thanks
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 5:53am
gee, even I would lay down 1200 for that B ! she's pretty and well equipped to boot !
think about this...you can't buy a good ,used,abused riding lawn mower for 1200 !
sure hope you get it.
Jay

Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 6:36am
Looks like it has a PTO adapter for modern output, so it is likely an early B.  I also see a hydraulic pump.  If he only wants 1200 and it runs nice without smoke, it's a great deal in my opinion.  Make sure there is no slip in the rear wheel splines and check the lateral play in the rear wheels as well.  The hubs on these have had MANY years to wear out, especially if they were not kept tight during use.  I can tell you from experience, those are not fun to replace.  Paint looks to be very nice.
1940 B "Lucy"
1941 B w/ Woods L59 "Flavia"
1942 B w/ finish mower "Dick"
1941 C w/ 3-point "Maggie"
1947 C SFW w/ L306 "Trixie"
1972 314H
kurtleimkuehler View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurtleimkuehler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 3:38pm
Buy an allis chalmers G.  They look like they can handle any task at hand.
brewvet View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brewvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 5:19pm
Thanks all. He's actually asking $1400, but still sounds like a good deal. I will check out the rear wheels for any play.

brewvet View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brewvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 6:47am
Update: looked at the tractor yesterday and after some negotiation we agreed and she came home on a uHaul auto transport. That was a bit challenging because she barely fit due to the width if the ramps.

The good, she looks to be a 1939 serial number 29890. Runs like a top, no smoke,no leaks to speak of, clutch and transmission are good. The bad brakes barely work and will need some tires, fronts are the worst.

Looks like the lever to lower the implements has been customized.

And since I didn't want her lonely a 1940 Farmall A agreed to keep her company.

Question, is there a way to adjust the brakes?

Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 7:07am
Congratulations, you did good! There is a screw and lock nut on the top side of the brakes that you can adjust but very likely the brakes are worn out and will have to be replaced. If the drums are okay you can wash all the crud out of the axle housing and pull the brake bands out from the top once you get the pins removed. The other option is removing the final drives which will need to be done if you need new drums. Did you get any hardware and feet with the cultivator or just the frame?
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic