This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How big a job to install a PTO,,,??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How big a job to install a PTO,,,??
    Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 11:30pm
  I been thinkin it would be nice to have a PTO on my D14 as my neighbor has offered me a 3 point drag bout 6' wide plus a brush hog for a little more than a song,,,,but the D14 does not have a PTO.  What I can't figure is there are lift arms on the tractor, but I have not ever tried to see if they is workable.
  Can anybody fill me in on how big a job it would be to install a PTO,,?? The tractor has the shuttle clutch if that will make a difference.
 Secondly,,anybody got a unit for sale and a price,,,,Clap
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 3:53am
With the shuttle clutch the PTO will spin backwards when you use reverse, also it will not run at the standard 540 RPM.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 4:41am
Yeah, it runs about 800 RPM, IIRR, on shuttle equipped tractors...
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 5:50am
how hard?
easy .
buy another D-14 !
works for me..I have three !!
honestly I see removing that backhoe to be a backbreaker !! LIFE'S WAAY TOO SHORT TO BE LAID UP A DAY LET ALONE A WEEK OR TWO !

and I hate caps locl key too !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 6:09am
You should have kept that D15 LP. Poke poke poke! Darrel
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 9:52am
   OK,,,Paul and Dave,,,which one is it,,,540 or 800 RPM,,,???Wink
 Hey Paul,,do you mean the PTO will be rotating CW while in Shuttle forward then turn CCW when in shuttle reverse,,?? If so,,only'ist concern would be to make sure brush hog had stopped spinnin before tryin to back up,,??
  Actually Jay,,it takes bout 37 minutes to unhook the two quick couplers and two 1" bolts and drive away from the hoe,,,,!!  It takes longer to decide where to park the backhoe,,,,,LOL
  Gosh Darrel,,,,,,,you gots too much time on your hands what with all thet snow you been gettin and not bein able to get out into your fields,,,either that or you is spendin too much time talkin to ole Shameless and,,,,and,,,learnin some of his needle sharp pokins,,,,,LOLBUT,,,,after readin and thinkin some on thet ,,,,I went out to the #3 hole out back, dug up and re-counted the $5,346.37,,,,,,,,,,,,,sigh,,,I feel much better now,,,,,,,,ClapClap

Come in Shameless,,,,,,,are Ya there Good buddy,,,,,say,,,does the,,,,,,the,,,,You know THE TRACTOR gots three point AND a PTO,,,,???Clap 

Edited by desertjoe - 15 Jan 2018 at 9:58am
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 10:37am
When you spin your 540 bush hog at 800 rpm bad things happen. At that speed when you hit something it or the cutter blade is going to come out and destroy or kill whatever it hits. YA I KNOw you'll run at reduced throttle to keep the PTO speed down to safe levels. Until your in a real tough pull and you advance the throttle to make up for the bogging engine. When you clear the plugging it will over speed.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 10:43am
wow 37 minutes TIMES TWO lost every time (off and ON ) yeesh... I only got so many hrs left in my life...kinda why I keep buying D-14s..one is loader only, one is a spare then Troy..the work horse. I've also converted all the 3pt implements to Snap Coupler to save time and my back.
So you know WHY I like lotsa tractors !
Jay

Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 12:16pm
That's a lot of time to unhook and unhook of course this is coming from a person that has two tractors hooked to two different hay rakes because I hate hooking and unhooking.Then I usually have 3 tractors hooked to 3 round balers in case one breaks down.(LOL)
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 6:57pm
  AHA,,,Gary,,,so that is how you tricked the wife for havin so many tractors,,,,LOLClap  Thas good thinkin,,,,Hm,,,,lemme see how I can plat with them words some so's I can talk her into more,,,,,wait a minute,,,,,I don't got nuttin planted to bale or cut or plow or,,,,,,,,chit,,guess i better plan on makin do with what I got,,,,,,,Wink
By the way,,,ain't nobody told me what all it takes to install a PTO on the d14,,,,????Clap
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 7:37pm
The whole transmission has to be taken apart to have blanks knocked out where the PTO shaft slides through (bearings have to be installed as well).  I bought an industrial D14 transmission to replace my gear jumper, that's how I know.  As others have said, running 540 rpm equipment at 800 is really asking for trouble.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 8:48pm
  Hey Myron,,,OK,,I understand what ya'll cautionin me about now,,,,and I KNOW I ain't about to dismantle the trans on this tractor unless I HAS TO,,,!!!
  By Golly,,a neighbor gots a Minneapolis Moline that I can buy for a song and a short song at that,,Clap  Don't know what model it is but bout maybe a size smaller than my D14 and has 3 point and PTO,,,,BUT,,,,but the engine block gots air Conditioning on one side and might need some of the rods,,,,,LOL I;m thinkin they must of brought this tractor into this country in the dark of night as it is the only'ist M/M I have ever seen,,,,,WinkWink
Adam Stratton View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 10:23pm
I don't know how to rate them and what exactly you would need to power a bush-hog, but I saw Lincoln Surplus has some hydraulic PTO units. 2 hoses and you are good to go? Several hundred $$, but might be quick and easy?
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 4:47am
Originally posted by Adam Stratton Adam Stratton wrote:

I don't know how to rate them and what exactly you would need to power a bush-hog, but I saw Lincoln Surplus has some hydraulic PTO units. 2 hoses and you are good to go? Several hundred $$, but might be quick and easy?

As long as the units, in question match up to the tractor in question's hyd specs, I think you are right, Adam...Thumbs Up
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 5:38am
If you could find a 1000 RPM PTO gearbox for your bush hog it might work. At least you would be running the blades closer to their designed speed.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 6:06am
this....
The whole transmission has to be taken apart to have blanks knocked out
... scares me !!
Got to the trouble to tear it apart and oopsy MORE than the blanks get knocked out, arrgh...
It sure sounds like a heckuva 'roll of the dice' AND  a huge amount of time let alone finding the parts..and nothing is lightweight on a D-14 !
I'm still thinking a 2nd D-14 IS the way to go. I can get TWO runners up here for 1500 Canuck each...hmm maybe it's a good thing Shamless buried my trailer with 'white'...

Jay

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 6:45am
Joe, I'd go after that Minnie Mo. Do you know what model it is? If you do get it, you're lucky to be living a ways away from me. Otherwise my wife would come and steal it from you. She has a bad hankerin to have a Minnie Mo. Darrel
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 7:02am
I have a Yanmar with 540 and 1000 RPM PTO, I run a pull type King Kutter cutter lots of times with the 1000 PTO speed in grass and small weeds just keep the throttle not over
2/3rds.Been doing it for over 10 years with no issues.Also run a 540 tiller when light cultivating
with my Iseki in 1000RPM PTO.Cut the throttle back some there too. 800 RPM would be about perfect for a 'hog' as farm as I'm concerned.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 7:05am
  Hey Adam,,Thanks for thet tip,,,Clap that might be the way to go when one doesn't have a PTO,,but,,,knowing ole Joe,,,he ain't gonna want to spring for too much of them dollars,,,,and you can tell ole Shameless,, "I said So"WinkLOL
  Hey Darrel,,,I think I will go talk with the neighbor again and get some pics of thet old M/M. I kinda did a search of M/M engines some back,,but only fount one in Iowa that the dude said was locked up and he wanted,,,,,,,$975,,,CHIT,,,,,I told him I wouldn't even try to kiss him on the cheek and he could go on his way,,,Dang,,,some people,,,!  What them blocks made of anyway,,,???
 HMmmmmm,,I AM pretty handy with my ole Lincoln arc welder and ,,,and,,I gots bout 6# of thet ole NYE Rod,,,,HMmmmm????

Edited by desertjoe - 16 Jan 2018 at 7:08am
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 7:20am
You know Norm never changed a router bit in his life.  He just has a router for each bit.  Just saying.Big smile
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 7:36am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Hey Adam,,Thanks for thet tip,,,Clap that might be the way to go when one doesn't have a PTO,,but,,,knowing ole Joe,,,he ain't gonna want to spring for too much of them dollars,,,,and you can tell ole Shameless,, "I said So"WinkLOL
  Hey Darrel,,,I think I will go talk with the neighbor again and get some pics of thet old M/M. I kinda did a search of M/M engines some back,,but only fount one in Iowa that the dude said was locked up and he wanted,,,,,,,$975,,,CHIT,,,,,I told him I wouldn't even try to kiss him on the cheek and he could go on his way,,,Dang,,,some people,,,!  What them blocks made of anyway,,,???
 HMmmmmm,,I AM pretty handy with my ole Lincoln arc welder and ,,,and,,I gots bout 6# of thet ole NYE Rod,,,,HMmmmm????

I sure would like to see some pictures of that Minnie Mo. Ya know, that harvest gold with red wheels makes for a mighty pretty tractor when all fixed up like you do em up. Unless it's a newer one. I think newer ones have a little different paint scheme to em. Now I am confused. Just get some pictures. Minnie Mo's are a direct cousin of Allis, so you can talk about them on here. Later, Darrel. P.S., Did you get my PM the other day?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 7:42am
I'm in a similar spot on a tractor I never should have bought. Guy had an Oliver 70 standard that he was going to make a puller out of. He was supposed to have all the parts plus extras. I bought it sight unseen and by the time I got it I couldn't back out. He had lots of parts but they were all row crop parts and I ended up not having any of the hard to come by parts. He had also taken the PTO out drawbar off etc. So I ended up with a tractor with a lot of money sunk in that won't pull or drive anything. It runs nice and I have slowly made and modfied metal for it and used some odd ball salvage special pieces and it looks nice to me (needs finished and paint) but what good does it do? Have thought about adding a PTO somehow and putting a belly mower on it. But a 6 cylinder lawnmower would be real efficient! Anyway. Here is a link to the motors I talked about. Might be easier than tearing into the tranny, and if you've already got an auxiliary pump it might be the easiest option?
https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/Hydraulic-Motors/Ag-PTO-Output-Hydraulic-Motors/
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 8:00am
Originally posted by Adam Stratton Adam Stratton wrote:

I'm in a similar spot on a tractor I never should have bought. Guy had an Oliver 70 standard that he was going to make a puller out of. He was supposed to have all the parts plus extras. I bought it sight unseen and by the time I got it I couldn't back out. He had lots of parts but they were all row crop parts and I ended up not having any of the hard to come by parts. He had also taken the PTO out drawbar off etc. So I ended up with a tractor with a lot of money sunk in that won't pull or drive anything. It runs nice and I have slowly made and modfied metal for it and used some odd ball salvage special pieces and it looks nice to me (needs finished and paint) but what good does it do? Have thought about adding a PTO somehow and putting a belly mower on it. But a 6 cylinder lawnmower would be real efficient! Anyway. Here is a link to the motors I talked about. Might be easier than tearing into the tranny, and if you've already got an auxiliary pump it might be the easiest option?
https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/Hydraulic-Motors/Ag-PTO-Output-Hydraulic-Motors/

I have 2 Oliver 70 Standards here with no motors and not much sheet metal but have
most everything else I'd sell parts off of.Even have a couple sets of original wheel weights for them.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 9:26am
  HMmmmm,,,something tells me ole Stan also has a whole barn full of them tractors,,,,one for every job,,,,!!!Wink,,Thas good,,,,thas good,,,Clap
  Chit,,Darrel,,,I just now seen the PM,,,,wonder why I didn't get a message of the PM,,??
 If the Ac's and the M/M's is cousins,,,,I feel much better now,,,,!!Clap
  Adam,,some time back,,I posted on here bout one of them Olivers 70 for sale over towards Lubbock, Tx. It had PTO, 3 point and looked to be complete, and if my memory serves me good,,,it even had engine side covers but did need all tires,,,,never could catch the owner but if you is interested,,,I'll find out the what/whats. It stayed there for the longest.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 9:28am
Joe, tell the loving wife that you know she loves you and that she would not want you to get hurt by trying to run that mower with the wrong pto and you really need another D14 so you won't have to struggle changing implements and how inexpensive they are for such a good tractor. She might even go buy it for you herself! And it is always nice to have two of the same so you can swap parts to help with diagnosing problems.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 8:21am
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

With the shuttle clutch the PTO will spin backwards when you use reverse, also it will not run at the standard 540 RPM.

Incorrect, the PTO runs the normal direction without respect to the position of the shuttle clutch lever however it does run at an odd RPM
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 9:11am
Butch , that is correct ,these 3 shaft's  (top  hollow  and solid ) (lower PTO Drive )never change direction when moving shuttle leaver forward or backwards

He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Just because you do not have the tools for job , it dose not make it a bad design.
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 9:14am
one shaft runs clock wise ,other CC

He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Just because you do not have the tools for job , it dose not make it a bad design.
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 9:48am

Here are a few pics from a 615 manual

Edited by JoeO(CMO) - 17 Jan 2018 at 9:57am

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 8:03am
Thanks for the parts offers but that tractor is so far on the back burner it's not even on the stove right now. I get frustrated with it about every time I see it (so it's waaay back buried in the corner of the shed now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic