This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modern accessories, in old machines.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modern accessories, in old machines.
    Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 3:28pm
I have just mounted a diesel type cabin heater in my dozer. It’s a German eberspächer air to air type so now I can heat up the cabin.

What newer modern effects or accessories have you guys installed in your old AC machines ?

Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 3:44pm

Eberspaecher Climate Control System’s Airtronic air heaters operate like forced air furnaces utilizing the vehicle’s own fuel and power supply to produce heat without idling the vehicle. Heaters operate quietly and cycle through four output levels to provide the optimum temperatures at all times. Units are suitable for a variety of applications but are especially well suited for cab and sleeper heat in class 8 trucks, workshop vehicles, and freight compartments. Airtronic heaters can also be easily combined with one of Eberspaecher’s specially designed controllers for maximum controls and heater function.

BENEFITS OF THE ESPAR’S AIRTRONIC AIR HEATER

• Economical

• Low fuel and power consumption

• Integrated control unit

• Easy to install and maintain

• Built-in self-diagnostics

• Highest heat output available in the market

• Quick release cover for easy access to components for maintenance

• EPA verified and CARB compliant for use anywhere in North America

Edited by steve(ill) - 11 Jan 2018 at 3:44pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 3:46pm
so this works like a oil furnace or gas furnace in your house, but uses the tractors diesel fuel ?
Morten.have View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 4:20pm
Exactly. It’s werry effective and compact system and mine is thermostat controlled and you can activate it with a text message by the GSM unit.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 6:10pm
Wow! that's better'n the propane sunflower heater I use on occasion...Thumbs Up

Edited by DiyDave - 11 Jan 2018 at 6:13pm
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 6:41pm
Morten.

What a great fabrication. So cool. I'm a open air guy on my 16. No cab. However, I will have to put in some bad ass fan action for summer use.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 8:53pm
modern accessories
--12 volt system in place of older 6 volt
--alternator in place of generator
--LED lights
--Electrical gauges instead of mechanical
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 10:20am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

modern accessories
--12 volt system in place of older 6 volt
--alternator in place of generator
--LED lights
--Electrical gauges instead of mechanical

Any problem with gauges Steve?

Want to swap mine out with new SW gauges but my system is 24 volt. I was informed by some very knowledgeable forum members that my 1961 16 if using original gauges were likely mechanical and not electrical so the swap out should be fine provided I stick with mechanical gauges.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 9:24pm
No Jerry........ I was talking generically...  Some use volt meters instead of amp meters. I have removed the mechanical thermo gauge and oil pressure on an old tractor and installed sensors with a wire to a new " gauge" that is basically a voltmeter reading resistance in the sensor.......... Nothing wrong with mechanical gauges.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 5:49am
Thank you Steve. Understood,
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 6:09am
I have also just bought new instruments, trans temp, water temp, Amp L/H clutch pressure. Engine oil pressure,Fuel pressure, and a digital hour meter. It’s all 12v but I have a big 24-12v converter activated by my new ignition switch (I needed a switch for the alternator) so all in my cluster gauge group and my wiper system is 12v all lamp and starting and aux is 24v   
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 10:14am
One big one is using sealed and shielded bearings which are pre lubed instead of old felt wick . 
 Alternator from generator is a common one 
On the HD5 starters going to later style M42 and doing away with he mechanical switch and rod for foot application 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 10:27am
Clever Morten.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 10:30am
Hello Coke

Can you tell me what is needed to convert my 16 to an alternator from a generator? An alternator of course. but what else on the shopping list?
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 10:40am
Jerry all you need is a ignition switch a charge indicator to build up a 3 wire system. And it’s easy to build up for you because your starter motor is near by.

The tricky part is to get correct size of v type pully so you get the right RPM on your alternator. I don’t know how to calculate that out and I don’t need to because I mounted a cat altanator from a C15 and I knew that rpm, and by that geared my 16’ into spec.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 1:10pm
You do make it sound simple Morten.

Its working great so not something I am pushed to do but my list of improvements continues to grow here at winter time with little to do on the old girl but plenty of ideas.

Thank you Morten.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic