This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I need a little goat info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need a little goat info
    Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 6:36pm
Back in late August or September my daughter and her husband got a pygmy goat as a pet. They said when they brought it home that it wasn't full grown. Now I never owned a goat or know anything about them, all I know is it was small, but it was a pygmy goat after all. Here lately the kids have noticed the goat getting bigger, but they asked some friends and were told its normal for goats to gain weight in winter. However I was looking at it today, and judging From what I know about cattle, I'd say it's about to pop. I noticed its sack and utters were filled out and its vagina was swollen. I told my daughter and she's freaking out and asking me what to do. Like I said I don't know anything about goats so I don't know what to tell her. I wouldn't think there would be anything to worry about, but this is a young goat and I was wondering if goats ever have trouble having babies like heifers. My daughter main worry is the baby goat freezing. Should this be a concern? The low tonight is supposed to be around 9 degrees. I know cows have calves when it's really cold (usually when it Happens) without trouble. I know this isn't about farm equipment, but I'm sure someone has goats and can help me out. Thanks
Sponsored Links

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 7:19pm
Don't worry about it, it seems like the old gals filthy darn things are always laying down and shelling out 2 or 3 more of the filthy darn things. Never seem to have any trouble.
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 7:24pm
Baby goats will freeze/chill at those temperatures if you have a nice clean place with good hay bedding the baby(s) should be fine.Do not over feed the does as the kids can be too big for her to have them and hopefully she was bred to another small breed buck.
DaveWisc. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveWisc. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 7:39pm
We have Boar goats but they are still goats. The help you need is just what they are telling you need to keep them warm usually no warmer than 30 to 35. And dry like they said. For shots see your Vet. We give what we call Bosie for white muscle,but we live in Southwestern Wisc.If you need help PM me
drobCA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drobCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 7:44pm
was/am considering raising a few.
can you confirm or deny that pygmies are far messier and noisier than full size - say Nubian or Boer?
3 Ford 8N's I loan to neighbors, but the '52CA, '41B and little B1 I do not.
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 8:01pm
The kids called the guy that sold them the goat. He vows it was to young to breed when he sold it to them. I don't know the gestation period, but if it was breed when they got it in Aug or Sept would it be ready to birth now? This goat has been fed well, so if the kids are to big, how does one help her? You can't sleeve a goat I wouldn't think.
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by drobCA drobCA wrote:

can you confirm or deny that pygmies are far messier and noisier than full size - say Nubian or Boer?

I cannot. As I stated I've never raised goats of any kind. I've been around cattle all my life, but no goats. I can say this one is not very messy, but they only have the one. It will also bah at you and beg for food anytime you're around, but that's because my daughter has spoiled it.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 8:21pm
Calling dr pohl...Wink
drobCA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drobCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 8:24pm
pygmy goat gestation period = 157 days.
sept oct nov dec jan = 151
hello, impending grampa. Wink
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 8:30pm
Only thing I know is they have a rectangular pupil, which creeps me out looking at them.  It sounds like it's time for them to be reading up on Mr. Google about birthing goats.  They might also want to consult a Vet to make sure it's not some other issue.  I don't know their cycle, but it might be putting on weight and the other issues you mentioned because it's in heat. I guess that the correct word is "fresh".
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 8:46pm
Brother just went thru this in upstate NY, checked the goats they got for the kids last summer and sure enough, found two little ones around 11:00 PM Christmas night, at below zero. Decent shed and all but one was nearly a "goatsickle" and the other was up and running around the pen. Took it with mama and the other young un' into the house in a spare bathroom off the garage, massaged the little guy till he came around and fought the first time mama to get her to nurse. My advice to him was to block off the heat for that room and get bedding down until he got the little one up and running because they had to go back outside. Also had him pick up some canned milk from Petco and get the little guy on it PDQ as that stuff is amazing for small animals. Canned "goats milk" the next day helped the little guy take off and they went back outside yesterday after he rigged up a heat lamp. The mama was supposed to be young and never exposed when they bought it.
Said they made a helluva mess out of that bathroom, the bathroom he totally remodeled just two years ago.
His wife is happy, she get's another new bathroom come spring.
Adam Stratton View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 10:00pm
I've got larger goats and they seem to have kids pretty easily, but mine won't go to the shed to have them, just drop them anywhere and they are very sensitive to cold. I lost 2 sets 2 years ago when it was warmer than this. It was early spring and we still would get some frost and the little things froze. I've got small children who love animals so goats were a cheap solution. Other than keeping them wormed and trimming hooves I like to have them around.
copyrite1972 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copyrite1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 10:32pm
yes they will freeze! keep an eye on her till she pops, dry the little fart(S) off! A heat lamp in a small shelter will help a lot!

D15 Series II
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 2:33am
Originally posted by TimNearFortWorth TimNearFortWorth wrote:

Brother just went thru this in upstate NY, checked the goats they got for the kids last summer and sure enough, found two little ones around 11:00 PM Christmas night, at below zero. Decent shed and all but one was nearly a "goatsickle" and the other was up and running around the pen. Took it with mama and the other young un' into the house in a spare bathroom off the garage, massaged the little guy till he came around and fought the first time mama to get her to nurse. My advice to him was to block off the heat for that room and get bedding down until he got the little one up and running because they had to go back outside. Also had him pick up some canned milk from Petco and get the little guy on it PDQ as that stuff is amazing for small animals. Canned "goats milk" the next day helped the little guy take off and they went back outside yesterday after he rigged up a heat lamp. The mama was supposed to be young and never exposed when they bought it.
Said they made a helluva mess out of that bathroom, the bathroom he totally remodeled just two years ago

Tractor Supply and other places sell Land of Lakes goat milk replacer and do not use
cow milk replacer young goats can't handle it.
His wife is happy, she get's another new bathroom come spring.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 2:39am
Originally posted by drobCA drobCA wrote:

I've raised about every breed of goat there is dairy and meat goats.Goats aren't really any messier than any other animal its how you keep them as most people with goats it seems have way too many for  the space they have which leads to all kinds of trouble.That said
Pygmy goats can be one of the most aggravating animals on the Planet(LOL)
I raise Kiko meat goats  now,had Boers they didn't work for me.

dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 4:04am
raised pygmies, nubians, lamancha's, etc. and have found a goat is a goat, with the exception of the pygmies, they are small agile little buggers and can be a pain in the but to keep in a fence.  with all goats they will always try to get into feed of the other animles, we had sepperate pens but goats, cows, ducks, chickens, etc. used the same pasture, you'd be amazed the places goats can get into, they love anything with thorns...ya no like roses...lol.  I don't think there messy, but not as easy to train on electric as the cows.

sounds like your getten ready for some new kids if she's bagged up, if just bloated then your feeding them to much, just a tiny bit of grain or a goat will bloat up.  first timers you need to make sure mama takes care of em and yes they will freeze, lots of warm bedding and watch for drafts.
Just cause it's orange don't make it a tractor, there's only one..Allis Chalmers
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 6:40am
OK.. 'somewhere' I saw a picture of a'shelter' made from a 1000L tote. Cut a door in the front, hung a light from the 6" top hole. Thought that was real clever.
Probably a better idea than telling the family to bring mama and kids INTO the spare bedroom....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Adam Stratton View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 8:11am
I've done this and it works well. Don't have heat lamps in mine though. I like to put my billy goats away from the women folk when their services aeent needed and use the totes as movable shelter for them. The billy's do a fantastic job keeping the pond dams mowed.
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 9:12am
Rance, I'd call a local vet to check her. It will either ease your mind or get you prepared for what is next.may be cheaper to take her in if she can ride in the front seat with you. We are calving now and I dread the next few nights. I usually loose a ear tail or hoof if it is real cold. On the calf that is , I always loose my tail!!!!
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 9:21am
I don't know nuthin bout birthing goats
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
drobCA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drobCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 9:31am
Lonn is auditioning for "Gone With The Wind"???!!  Shocked
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 9:50am
If you see her starting to give birth, watch closely. If she's progressing, leaves her alone and don't try to help. If she doesn't need help you'll probably do more harm then good. After they're out keep an eye on them. Help if she NEEDS help, not because you want to. It's pretty easy to spot an animal in stress. Good luck and congrats grandpa
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 11:44am
They are a lot like cows right before birthing,, When its that cold the babies will freeze, good straw is not enough, if they cock their head/neck around get them in good heat fast , usually by that time its too late- found out the hard way

Edited by DougG - 04 Jan 2018 at 11:45am
calico190xt68 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 12:11pm
I suppose a goat could be considered Farm Equipment if you painted it orange and called it a weedwacker. [:)]

I pin up the sheep, place heat lamp in the corner and it they stand up, they will find the heat lamp. If they don't stand up, then it can be tough to save them unless you happen to catch them shortly after birth.
80 7010 w/Cab, 67 190XTD Series I w/500 Loader, AC 2000 Plow, AC 4 row Planter, AC 77G Rake, Member Indiana A-C Partners, Member TAC
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 12:15pm
I sure can't help,,,,,,,,,,I don't know the difference between a goat and a sheep.
But giving birth is just like Tyler says, leave em alone unless they start to show stress.  You'll know when it's happening.
Being the first time, I probably wouldn't let the kids watch, in case of problems.  You don't want them to see a still or breach birth, or worse....
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 8:46pm
I'd pretty well give up on this goat. I thought it would have happened days ago. I figured maybe she was just in heat and bloated as stated. Well it happened today. Just one kid as far was we can tell. Now my daughter is calling us with a new problem. The mother head butts the kid when it tries to suck. I've had this problem with cattle before. Usually when a cow does this they show no interest in the calf at all. The mama goat did lick her baby off, but now won't allow it to suck. My son-in-law held the mama and let the kid suck. I have had success forcing cows to accept their calves by doing this. It usually takes about 3 or 4 days if it works at all. Will this work with goats? I'm guessing it will and it's about the only thing I can think to do. I'd just thought I'd ask someone who might know. Thanks

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 8:49pm
Might be mastitis or some other condition, in mamma, that causes nursing to be painful...
cnafarms View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnafarms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 10:20pm
First time mother then her mother instinct hasn't really kicked in yet. May take couple days watching her carefully to make sure little fella is nursing. I'd say as long as she cleaned it off and hollers for it she'll be fine. Just like heifer when she has her first calf may take little while for all her God given instincts to kick in.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 4:05am
takes it inside, puts it in your lap and gives it a bottle!
dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 4:53am
as mentioned above ya got 2 choices, continue to force her to nurse and see what happens or milk mama and bottle feed.

edit: so much fer her bieng to young to breed...LOL

Edited by dt1050 - 13 Jan 2018 at 4:54am
Just cause it's orange don't make it a tractor, there's only one..Allis Chalmers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic