This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

All crop hitch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All crop hitch
    Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 6:34am
Wondering how necessary the ball hitch is on an allcrop. I have a 72 and a 90 I purchased from another forum member that I am trying to get home. Both of them have the ball hitch, but the handle to lift the locking pin is missing on both of them. Figured I could put a pin hitch on them to get them home.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
Sponsored Links

Ky.Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ky.Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 7:00am
I think it would work just fine. In fact you might want to leave it that way. To me that goofy hitch was a pain to deal with. Stop and think about it---most implements use a pin hitch and work just fine.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 7:07am
I have a parts 60 that someone converted to a pin hitch. just bolt off and on the hitch.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 10:01am
Personally I like the ball hitch best. It's easier to hook up (to me). No aligning of holes, just backup next to it, lift the tongue, and drop it on the ball. Plus, there is no hairpin clip to get pulled out of the pin by the stubble in the field (Usually only does that in milo). I've found it's easier to make a 90 degree corner in the field with the ball hitch. Sometimes when doing that with the pin hitch, your drawbar can get in the way and bind things up, but if you won't be doing that, it's not much of a problem. Of my 2 60A's, one is pin hitch and the other is a ball hitch, but I found the necessary parts to convert the pin hitch one to ball hitch this next spring. 
Just my $0.02. It's more of a preference deal, really. 
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 10:22am
We wore out two or three pin hitches and changed to a ball and never had trouble again and it seem to work better.
combinechris View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote combinechris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 10:50am
also depends how original you plan on keeping the equipment.
35 combines and 15 forage harvesters. mostly allis combines and equipment.WTB 2 row cornhead for a 90
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 9:06pm
Guess for the time being I will go with pin hitch. As for 90 degree turns, if I make the throat of the hitch big enough, should be no problem making it. Although I don't like bending a PTO shaft that far.
As to keeping them original, I like to stay fairly original, but functionality is more important.

EPALLIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPALLIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 9:21pm
Interesting discussion.  When I purchased my A-C side delivery rake the previous owner jury rigged up a pin hitch instead of the factory ball hitch.  As luck would have it, I was at an auction one day and there by itself was a nice factory A-C ball hitch.  I finally got it converted  this summer.  I didn't see "dramatic difference" however I agree with others here, the turning of corners seems much improved.

Thanks again for bringing this topic to light as I always wanted to hear others discuss it!
Darwin W. Kurtz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darwin W. Kurtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 9:30pm
those ball hitches were a great design, better and safer than I have seen for lots of trailer hitches

I would keep it original
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 9:49pm
You know we assembled many a 60 All Crop with a pin hitch.  It was standard for quite a while.  I believe after WWII they started making the Ball Hitch standard on the drawn forage, combining, raking, blowers, and just about every pull unit.
I just looked in my library, I have an operating manual for a 60 All Crop, thinking it was old enough to show a pin type hitch.  However, this one showed the reel with the reinforcing rods on it and yes, it showed a ball type hitch.
We sure sold enough of the combines with the pin hitch.  I do not recall any problems we had.
Good Luck!
Bill Long

ps:  If you do use a pin hitch and you are using a PTO be certain to set your draw bar to ASAE standards for the hitch.  Otherwise on a short turn you may have problems 

Edited by Bill Long - 21 Nov 2017 at 9:50pm
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 6:41am
Just for legal information.  If you leave the Ball hitch on your all crop and pull it home, it must have safety chains, because state DOT laws require them for all "BALL" hitches.  

Personally I change them over to a pin hitch when I pull them home, just more secure, because I don't trust that old mechanism to function correctly, and I wouldn't want to see that rather large allcrop to go bounding off into oncoming traffic, and kill someone in a little bitty Toyota.
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 9:13am
Orange Blood, that is one of my concerns also.
Part of the reason I asked about how necessary the ball hitch is trying to decide how nice to make the pin hitch look. If I just use it to get it home, it doesn't have to look pretty. If I can leave it on, I will make it look nice.

combinechris View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote combinechris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 2:47pm
orange blood most state and Federal DOT laws require chains on hitches for towing whether pin hitch or ball hitch.
35 combines and 15 forage harvesters. mostly allis combines and equipment.WTB 2 row cornhead for a 90
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by combinechris combinechris wrote:

orange blood most state and Federal DOT laws require chains on hitches for towing whether pin hitch or ball hitch.

Did I say otherwise???  Or just emphasize the ball hitch?

I don't believe I said they didn't for pins, I am not sure of those legal requirements, but I am sure they are required for ball.

Edited by Orange Blood - 24 Nov 2017 at 3:06pm
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 11:30pm

Ended up making a pin hitch. Put it on this way to line up with hitch on truck.

Here's the 72 home at last. Gotta put a couple tires on the 90, then it will make the trip home.

DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 8:57am
In my opinion the ball hitch on the All-Crop is far superior to any bumper hitch trailer on the road today. It completely wraps around the ball with 4 locking points and with the spring pushing down on the locking pin it can’t come apart. It’s a Beautiful design.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 9:48pm

Got the 90 home today.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic