This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

An Auction for the Rest of Us.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Garlic Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An Auction for the Rest of Us.
    Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 10:20am

Garlic Mom, Ray, Billy and I went to an auction near Merced on Saturday.

Garlic Mom and I went to Billy's Friday afternoon.  We brought him a present of a Fifteen parts tractor that WyoCat was nice enough to arrange for us.  Billy had a Fifteen parts tractor which used to sit in front of his house connected to a tumblebug.  A guy stopped by regularly and asked him to sell it.  One day he had a weak moment and had been regretting it ever since.  Now he has a Fifteen to complement his tumblebug again.

Billy and Annette were kind enough to host us for dinner and let us stay in their guest house.  Billy's house is about two hours north of us, and the auction was about an hour from his house.  Here's Billy's truck in its house.

Saturday morning we woke up early and unloaded the Fifteen and put it where it belonged.  We went to Firebaugh for breakfast at the Giant Burger, which is the local duck bill club.  There we met several of Billy's friends, including one who has mules and showed us lots of neat pictures and videos of the mules, interesting tractors and other stuff.

After a good breakfast, we headed north to find the auction.  Our original plan was to bring three trucks, ours, Billy's and Joe's, along with our 966.  It turned out Joe had other commitments and Billy's truck turned up with the shifter air lines eaten by mice, so we were down to one truck and the 966.  That was O. K. though.

When we got to the auction, there was even more, better stuff than the flyer had advertised.  In addition to the Allis Chalmers Wheel Dozer and neat Allis Chalmers HD-16A we were interested in, there was another bareback Allis HD-16A, about the most pristine Adams pull grader I've seen.  The big one with ten foot wide axles, two neat military Jeeps and quite a few Cats.

Many of our Cat friends were there, so we didn't figure to get any of the Cats, but we did strike on a few good things.

Here's a really neat 100 year old flat belt pump with pipe which we got for a couple hundred.  This'll go in Daron's front yard.

Here's the Allis Chalmers HD-16A we got for $850.00.  It hadn't run in over ten years.  It has a Detroit 6-71 for power.  It also has a really neat Garwood blade with Garwood front cable control and Garwood double drum rear cable control.  We added water and removed the valve cover to check for stuck injector.  Pulling the engine through a revolution revealed three stuck injectors.  I was able to pry them up and down a few times and get them loosened up.  I pulled it through a couple more revolutions and they were still a little stiff, but the rack stayed free.  Ray pushed me with the 966 and in about a revolution or so it was running just fine.

Everything works, including the front cable control drum and both rear drums, all steering clutches and brakes and the master clutch.  We tried the starter with two good batteries, but it didn't want to spin the engine over.  We were just using jumper cables though and the old batteries were still connected, so sucking current too.  I think if we got two good batteries and wired them up correctly, it'll start as it should.

Here's an absolutely spectacular big Twenty which Skinner bought.  I think he got a steal.

Here's a really nice, straight Wooldridge which we got for $450.00.  The tires all hold air and it looks really good.

Here's a really nice ripper which we let go to a friend, who kindly backed off on bidding on some of the stuff we wanted.  I think he gave $500.00 for it.

And here's a nifty little Allis Chalmers wheel dozer.  I believe it is a D-30 model.  It has the Allis Chalmers six cylinder turbo diesel which was originally a Buda design, before they were purchased by Allis.  We got this for $550.00.

We were a little worried about the right front tire.  The lock ring was pushed back about six inches off the o-ring and the tire was pretty cracked.  The other three tires took air and appeared to hold well.  We lifted the trunnion and set it on a big block, then ran a chain around the right front tire.  We jerked on the chain with the 966 to try to pull the lock ring back out.  At first, no dice.  We tried pushing the ring in a bit with a fork tip and got the ring to move.  Some nice people gave us a can of P. B. Blaster which we used liberally.  With it all lubed up, we started jerking the chain again.

It took lots of jerks and creative repositioning of the chain, but eventually we got the ring back up to the o-ring and started pumping in air.  It took a bunch more jerks and repositioning of the chain, but we finally got the air inflow to overcome the leaks and the ring seated, o-ring sealed and the tire held fifty pounds of air.

Saturday after the auction, Skinner needed some help hauling a nice Twenty Eight parts tractor to his place, so Garlic Mom and Billy followed him with our pickup and car trailer while Ray and I worked on the HD-16A.  When they got back, we had it loaded up and were ready to take it to Billy's house.  That was all we could get done that day, so we spent Saturday night at Billy's and returned Sunday morning, after another nice Giant Burger breakfast.

Sunday morning, after fixing the wheel dozer tires, we were going to try to start it, but we discovered the fuel filters and canisters had disappeared.  This engine has a Roosamaster pump and the filter base is a remote affair bolted to the block.  It has provision for two canisters with what looked like six lines coming from it.  My theory is that, even though it is mounted canister down, it is similar to the International scheme, where one canister is a prefilter from the fuel tank, then the lines go to the lift pump, then back to the second filter for a fine filtration, then back to the pump for injection.

If I'm right, Billy has a spare set of those from his International MD, so I may be able to adapt something to work.

Since we couldn't start it, we towed it around and got it lined up with the trailer.  This has that fully hydraulic steering, where the steering wheel is connected to a rotor and lines go to the steering cylinders, no mechanical connection.  That worked out good because we could just bump the wheels to steer where we needed.

We got it all loaded up, chained down and hauled over to Billy's.  We fired up the HD-16A to unload.  Here's s short video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnkwNAXlDV4&feature=youtu.be

and some photos.

Here's Billy and granddaughter McKenna, who were supervising.

While at the auction, we helped several people load stuff, including the buddy who bought the ripper and he also bought a really neat Galion grader with a UD-18 engine.  Neat to have a full hydraulic grader with twin stacks from that era.  This looks like something King of Obsolete needs.
It was a fun day, lots of good friends and made some new ones and got some neat equipment pretty easy on the wallet.
It'll be fun to get it home, adjusted, greased up and repaired, ready to play.
Pete.
Garlic Mom and I returned and loaded the Wooldridge, dumping the truck with it still on at Billy's and beat it for home.  We were home by about 9:30 pm.

Sponsored Links

Garlic Pete View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garlic Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 10:21am
New Here.

I'm new here, but I have posted over on the Caterpillar bulletin board for a while.  Someone over there told me about this forum and I thought you all might be interested in our latest acquisitions, and maybe could help us as we learn about them.

Pete.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 10:35am

Welcome and thanks for posting! Awesome buys.

Edited by CAL(KS) - 09 Nov 2017 at 10:40am
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Ferdinand View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferdinand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 10:38am
Here's the Allis Chalmers HD-16A we got for $850.00.  ShockedShocked............................Ray pushed me with the 966 and in about a revolution or so it was running just fine.Thumbs Up

Maybe one day, i"ll find something like that.

Really like the Peterbilt. Is it a 351?

Edited by Ferdinand - 09 Nov 2017 at 2:07pm
Because narrow is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leads unto life, and few there be that find it.
Mathew 7:14
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 11:25am
Welcome to the group. Great acquisitions. Good job.
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 4:06pm
Garlic Pete:  I hope the ACMOC boys don't rib you too bad for collecting the AC's.  

All the best - nice job on saving these machines. 

Orangeman
dustydoo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 6:36pm
Welcome to the boards ! Great purchases , wish you best of luck with them all !
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 10:37pm
That is my kind of day!
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 11:06pm
Garlic Pete, as far as I know, the HD16 crawlers all had AC engines in them... unless somegody transplanted one from an HD15...  and I wish it had been in my neck of the woods... 850 bucks PFFFFTT!!! no body sells them hunks of irons that cheap here nor in that good of condition.  wouldn't have minded the LeTournue scrapper either.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Steve allis dozer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve allis dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 11:59pm
Hey Garlic Pete 
I like the D30 wheel dozer , it will have the allis 11000 series engine and the fuel pump is an American Bosch (AMBAC) you are correct with the fuel filters and the way they are set up there is a large one and smaller one , they have a steel outer housing that is held in with a centre bolt I would be surprised if they weren't laying around near the machine or in the shed i f you could find them all you would need is the paper cartridge inner element .Regards steve
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 2:31am
welcome to the forum, and thank you for posting the story and pics! you will find a lot of good info in here from a lot of great people!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garlic Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 1:58pm
Thank you all.

Ferdinand - I'm not sure of the model, but the Peterbilt is a 1963.  I believe it might be a 351.  It has been converted to single axle, but was originally tandem drive.

JC(WI) - As you'll see below, you are correct on the tractor model.

Steve allis dozer - Thank you for the information on the engine model number and filter arrangement.  I think I have a lead on the person who bought a pallet of parts, which probably had these canisters and bolts on it.  If not, I'd appreciate any guidance anyone might be able to provide about getting canisters and bolts for an 110000 filter housing.

I wasn't able to make the trip to another Member's this weekend because of some family health issues with Garlic Sweetie's Dad.  Those are under control now, so Garlic Mom and I, joined by Daniel, Colby and the two dogs, piled into the pickup and headed up to Billy's Sunday afternoon to retrieve one of our treasures.

Billy had pizza, hot links and potato and macaroni salad ready for us when we got there.  After a nice lunch, we got down to business.

We drained some of the water and added antifreeze to the HD-15, started it up and ran it to circulate stuff.

Ray from Madera came over to pick up Garlic Mom's John Deere crank inventory.  We transferred the cranks out of the back of the pickup and into Ray's trailer.  Ray stayed around to help us out loading.  He even donated some of his WD-40 to lubricate my binders.  He said something about being smart enough not to fight with a piece of steel which was probably smarter than me.

I was able to check the serial number.  It is, in fact, an HD-15AC, as pictured:

Daniel and Colby had a good time running the HD-15 and the 966.  We pushed the wheel dozer up onto the Cozad with a minimum of drama and got it tied down.

I thought the wheel dozer looked pretty frog like sitting there on the truck.

In the first picture, you can see Garlic Mom at the edge on the left, then Ray, Colby, Daniel and Billy.  I can't remember the big dog's name, but the little dog is called "Little Dog".  She likes to ride, so any chance she sees an open door, she zips into the car and hides her face in the corner of the passenger seat floorboard, thinking she's invisible.
I'll need some parts for the engine of the wheel dozer.  The fuel filter elements and canisters are missing.  It is an Allis Chalmers 11000 engine, originally a Buda design.  I believe one canister is larger than the other.  The filter base is a remote affair so I could adapt different bases and filters to do the job, if necessary.  I'll get more detailed pictures and post them in the next couple of days.

Pete.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 5:36pm
Ida thought the dog's name shoulda been garlic dog, er maybe clovus, hee hee hee!!Wink
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 2:02am
Maybe Big Dog?

Edited by JohnCO - 14 Nov 2017 at 2:03am
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garlic Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 9:06am

We had a little play day over the weekend.  There is a bit of off topic in here.  Didn't really do any digging, but did repair a few things, start and run several things and had a really good time.

Daron and Marianne came over from California City and Joe came from Buttonwillow.

Daron helped me figure out I had the Allis Chalmers batteries hooked up backwards, should be positive ground.  After fixing that, and a bit of manual adjustment (bending a voltage regulator points spring attach point) he had the generator generating.  The last piece I need to fix on it is the Hobbs mechanical hour meter.  I got it apart last night and need to figure out if it has an electrical problem or a mechanical clock movement problem.

Tom and his Brother Doug came down from Tehachapi in his immaculate 1959 GMC Cannonball.

He has put the axles from a 2001 Peterbilt under it, so it rides nice with the Peterbilt air leaf suspension.  He also just finished overhauling the 6-71 to solve a heating problem.  The Detroit injectors fit into a copper sleeve which can develop pinholes and let combustion gasses into the cooling system.  It is an absolutely spectacular truck.  Tom was kind enough to take me for a ride and let me drive it a bit.  It is better than new!  Steering is tight, everything works, it is just beautiful.

Garlic Mom wanted to get her Allis Chalmers UC going, so we aired up the tires, added some gas and got it running.  Joe took it for a spin, then Garlic Mom took her turn.

Here's some video of Joe riding around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2v5oc0WU8I

Joe spent some time on the RD-7.

https://youtu.be/_yWE2rbvl8U

Tom also got some seat time on the RD-7, but we were too busy having fun to shoot the video!

We started the sawmill turbo D7 17A.  I hadn't been able to test the steering brake repair I did, but it seems to work, steers in both directions now!  I still need to swap out the rusted through transmission filter tower and get some new cable so that the blade will work.  No pictures or video of that, though.  Too busy trying to start, operate and evaluate.

After lunch, Tom and Doug took the Allis Chalmers HD-15AC and Wooldridge for a spin.  Video courtesy of Tom's (Rileydog362) YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBH6XLapxRg

We had a really nice time.

Pete.

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garlic Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 9:08am
Old School Contracting.

Garlic Mom had such a good time at the play day Saturday, she didn't want the fun to end.  Sunday, she said we needed to do some Old School Contracting, so we got out the 1963 Peterbilt, hooked it to the Cozad and loaded up the HD-15AC and Wooldridge for some fun.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/qns0syvth/]

Here's a video with some taking off, some driving by, a few sessions of poorly executed twin stick shifting and the unload at the end.

Anybody need a hole dug?

Pete.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garlic Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 9:12am
Help With 11000 Fuel Filter Canisters and Filters.

I got a few pictures of the fuel filter base and engine details of the 11000 engine in the wheel dozer.

Can anyone suggest where I could get the missing canisters, bolts and other internal parts.  Also could use help with filter element part numbers.

I didn't get a readable picture of the engine serial number.  I'll try to get that next time I'm out there and post here.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Pete.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 3:27pm
I think you'll find that filter assembly on anything using Allis 10000 up engines going on our AC 45 grader parts books.  There is one on the HD 11 516 Buda/Lanova parts engine I got too so might be even earlier in them.

Might be on other Allis models as well.

Probably easier to get the whole assembly than just the parts you're missing

The elements are the same for that type filter and the earlier separate filter assemblies  (from the parts books - the canisters etc from those are the same)

Primary 4347787 (Fleetguard FF106)

Secondary 065583 (Fleetguard FF109)

(From AC Forty Five / 45 parts books and experience)

Edited by Ian Beale - 11 Dec 2017 at 3:54pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 4:03pm
I have the filter head and canisters off my donor, I believe. Will have to go look and let you know.
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 5:11pm
I shold have the complet filter housing ass.
James Coons View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Coons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 10:52pm
Looks like your having tons of fun!!Clap
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 11:07pm
I really like the video of the ole Pete. Thanks for sharing.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 7:22am
looks like your play pen is a fun place to be!
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 9:14am
I check this morning and have the fuel filter housing complet 4389051
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garlic Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 11:07am
Thanks everyone.  I'm glad you enjoyed.  We had a lot of fun.

gemdozer - Let me know here or over on ACMOC how much for the filter assembly.  I think I still have your address, but I'll check.

As far as I can tell, if I can get that filter back in service, I can at least try starting the engine and diagnosing from there.

The only other obvious sign of trouble with that unit is the hydraulic pump, which is hung below the crank pulley and driven by two V-belts, has been removed.

I still have it and can see where there was damage to the supply line to it from the tank.  I just can't tell if that damage is the cause for the partial removal or if it happened after another failure, which is the cause for the partial removal.

Anyway, with the fuel filter housing attached, I can at least start the engine, diagnose it and see how it sounds and begin working on other issues.

Thanks for the interest and replies.

Pete. 
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garlic Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 11:08am
Dmiller - Thanks for mentioning that you have them, too.  If something happens with gemdozer's, I may come back and see if you're interested in selling yours.

Pete.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 12:06pm
Still have not looked but will get what I have available IF needed!!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garlic Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 8:05am

Can anyone tell me where, on the filter base assembly, to look for a part number?

I don't see anything visible in my photos.  I need to go back out to the machine and look again.  Maybe it is on the top somewhere under that diesel soaked dirt, or on the inside of the raised part of the casting on the top?

gemdozer has two different housings and I need to find out which I have to make sure he sends the right one.  The part numbers he has are 4377258 and 4389051.  He thinks mine should be 4377258, but would like to know for sure.

Thanks for any help you can give,

Pete.
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 12:41pm
The 4389051 is aluminum housing and the 4377258 is in stell housing
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 12:47pm
So long as get cans and all can exchange the housings, just swap the entire assembly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic