This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

An Auction for the Rest of Us.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 2:18pm
The Ac 45 parts book for 10000 engine doesn't give a part number for a complete filter assembly, only numbers for the component parts. 

In that the head assembly is 4377259

Later  (Head assembly is the filter base)

Edited by Ian Beale - 13 Dec 2017 at 7:12pm
Sponsored Links

Garlic Pete View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garlic Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 5:39pm
Thanks guys.

Garlic Mom checked and our filter base appears to have part number 4377258.  Could maybe be a nine at the end, but I think gemdozer said the unit he has with the steel base has a part number of 4377258 on it, so it looks like we've got a match.

We might have smoke and noise from that wheel dozer yet!

Pete.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garlic Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 10:47am

gemdozer was kind enough to sell me the exact right fuel filter housings and base for the Allis Chalmers 11000 engine in the wheel dozer.  He even included one brand new filter with the package!

Last weekend I decided to see if I could get it to run.  There are seven connections to that filter housing, if I counted correctly.  Every single one of them had about an inch or two of almost concrete like stuff plugging them up.  I think they must have been mud dauber wasp work, mixed with diesel.  I spent most of a day tracing connections, getting loose rusted, grown together fittings on hard hoses and unpacking all that stuff.  I now have good clear flow from the tank, through the primary filter, to the lift pump, back to the secondary filter and out to the main injection pump.

The injection pump is an American Bosch, I believe it is a PSB model.  I have good flow through the hydraulic head and out of it to the pressure relief and air vent port, back to the filter housing return to the tank.

I removed the shutoff rod and the cover over the shutoff.  The governor regulator rod is free and appears to move normally through the proper range of motion.  Everything I can see in there is clean, with a good coating of oil and no rust, not even a speck.  When I crank the engine, I can see the injector pump gear rotating behind the governor regulator rod arm.

I also removed the top cover from the governor and flyweight section.  Everything in there is clean, no rust, moves properly and has a nice coating of oil.

I can't get any fuel to pump out of the hydraulic head into the injector lines.  I removed the injector lines from the hydraulic head and even though I have flow through the head and out the pressure relief port, nothing pumps out the injector line ports.

I removed the center plug bolt from the hydraulic head, which I believe covers the actual injector piston.  When I crank the engine with that bolt removed, I get flow out of the center port, but not pulsed flow like the pump is working, just low pressure flow like it is bypassing the pump piston through the metering scroll being pushed by the lift pump.

My feeling is that the center injector piston is probably stuck, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to access it.  I have no manuals, but have looked at some drawings on the internet.  I haven't removed the pump from the engine.  I thought perhaps I might be able to access the bottom of the injector pump from the side if I remove the lift pump, but I can't tell for sure.  Perhaps there is a cover on the other side of the pump which is against the block?

I feel if I could just access that injector pump at the lifter end and gently get it moving, like on a Cat, I'd have this thing running, but I sure can't figure out how to do that.

Appreciate any help you all can give.

Pete.

JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 1:13pm
GP, does the governor arm /fuel arm going into the injector head, is that stuck or moves freely? the arm that is behind the bracket that is held in by two screws... maybe the metering pin is wore, broke or missing to lift the fuel metering ring on back side... or a stuck center plunger like you said. Got some material on a PBS pump that would be similar, will post below.

Edited by JC(WI) - 03 Jan 2018 at 1:26pm
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 1:25pm
I will post the PBS lit here, it is for a WD45 diesel but will be similar.

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garlic Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 1:59pm
Thanks, JC(WI).  That will be really helpful.

The governor arm is free.  I believe when I first attempted to move it, there was a slight resistance, I'll bet it and the sleeve were just lightly stuck.  It didn't take any force at all to get it to move, but it was just a bit sticky for a while.

It is moving completely freely now though.  I'm sure that the pump plunger probably has the same tiny bit of gum holding it up, so it can't do its job.

With the information you've posted, I should pretty easily be able to pull the hydraulic head and get to the pump plunger.  With access, I can gently apply a bit of persuasion and work it back and forth until it is free.

Thanks for the outstanding information.  Next weekend is filled with a hauling trip, so it'll probably be a week and a half before I can put it to use.  Hopefully once I'm back with, I'll be able to post some videos of smoke and noise.

Pete.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 3:22pm
IIRC if you take out that stud in the centre of the hydraulic head and the valvery you should be able to get a rod on the top of the plunger and feel if it is moving.  If stuck you might be able to bump it down gently.

If you have to remove the head you have to remove a stud that goes in the side of the head (faces  the back of the pump iirc).  That has a square o-ring on it.  Check that it comes out with the stud as it may not and will interfere with getting the head off.  And treat it gently as it seems like much to do with PSB pumps it is unobtanium.

And watch that little retaining clip on the bottom of the plunger.

Removing the head is easier if you make yourself the special spanner to undo the pipe nuts.  Get yourself a picture, a long socket of the right size, your angle grinder with a thin cut-off wheel and have at it.

I posted on this back when we were getting our Forty Five going.

More on PSB pumps in here 

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Ambac/AmbacMenu1.htm

There was a comment from an injection repairer recently (might have been over at YT) to the effect that with modern diesel you should check that PSB type pumps are actually free if sitting for longer that about 6 months to avoid internal damage to unobtainable parts.

I'd worry that if your plunger is stuck up its cylinder that the spill port ought to be closed and that diesel should not be coming out the top of the head.  But I haven't checked a diagram and I hope I'm wrong!   The feel test ought to decide that.

Edited by Ian Beale - 03 Jan 2018 at 3:42pm
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 3:50pm
Also not sure of the manuals you might need but for engine details you might need access to a HD 11 manual .

The Jensales repro for the Forty Five grader is pretty sketchy on the engine section.  You need access to a HD 11 one for full cover of the engine (Lanova, 10000, 11000).  Though for dozers it covers replacing the cam bearings for the grader engine, which is longer on the front one because of the blower drive.

Edited by Ian Beale - 03 Jan 2018 at 4:07pm
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 7:29pm
Just one minor point worth noting.
The plug on the side of the heads on psb pumps is often mistaken as a bleed plug.
Its not; it covers the delivery, or check valve for the fuel pump.
Be very careful if you had that out. That its put back in correctly and the valve and its spring are seating correctly.  If spring was incorrectly installed; and bent. It will give you all the syptoms your having.
I discovered all this the hard way. . . .
As others have said, centre plug is the correct bleed port on a psb pump
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 2:54pm
Here are a couple of pages on timing a PSB 6 from the AC Forty Five manual.  Apologies for the one upside down

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 5:51pm
first page hadda come from a aussie manual...Wink
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 5:54pm
Dave

All positions from Jensales. 

Plus I was navigating upload at the time
ac_sd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac_sd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 6:43pm
Looks like an HD-15A and great Buy !!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garlic Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 7:25pm

I think I've found my problem.  It looks like my injector pump plunger is stuck up.  The pivot tang on the sleeve control shaft has also sheared off.

Here's a picture before disassembly:

Here's a picture of the model and serial number tag:

After removing the lines and connectors and the center plug, here is the flow I get when cranking the engine.  This flow is doesn't really pulse, it is more of a steady fountain.

Here is the sleeve control rod after removal.

This is the other end, which should have the little pivot tang attached which fits into a slot in the sleeve.

Here you can see the sleeve through the hole that the sleeve control shaft passes through.

Here is the hydraulic head after removal.  You can see the metering sleeve and slot in the window.

Here is the broken tang, which I found lying just under the sleeve.

Here's a close up of the hydraulic head tag.

In this picture of the hydraulic head, you can see that the injector plunger spring is all the way compressed.

When I first removed it, it was not completely compressed, but almost.  I tapped it with a hammer it moved slightly inward, but is now jammed with the spring completely compressed.  I can move the sleeve on the plunger shaft, but only by prying it with a chisel and tapping the chisel with a hammer.

The rotator gear does rotate, but very stiffly.  With the smooth, machined surfaces of the plunger, it is difficult to tell for sure, but I believe it is not rotating with the gear, leading me to believe it has probably sheared whatever drive interface it has with the gear.

I suspect my hydraulic head is not field repairable as it is.  I'll probably either have to find a good replacement or have this one rebuilt.

Any advice?

Pete.

Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 8:04pm
Pete

PSB6A - 100EH says it has a 10 mm plunger.  Allis played tunes on HD 11 pumps in that some had 9 mm plungers and some 10 - I don't know the inside story there.

Have a look at

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Ambac/AmbacMenu1.htm

from page 19 on to see how the internals of a PSB work

As far as I know you are in unobtanium territory now with that head as far as rebuilt.

A while back there was an outfit advertising remade or rebuilt ones for PSBs and M100s for pulling but then the PSB ones disappeared.  IIRC there is an earlier post of mine on that here somewhere and some replies.  Plus some on the injection pump saga we had getting our AC Forty Five going.

Back then I found an Ambac list of replacement heads (pdf so I don't think I can hook it on here) which lists HD5901 as a replacement for your number (HD5155A as I read it).  The one on our original pump was HD4607AR (R = rebuilt) for comparison.

Anyway unless you're lucky you're probably looking at finding a used pump that works or a diesel shop that has a hidden replacement head or at least one that is useable.

Maybe try Hector Gemme up in Canada who watches here and see what he has

Edited by Ian Beale - 13 Jan 2018 at 8:13pm
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 9:59pm
Something has sure gone thru. that pump that's created a nightmare. You might call Rick at Cell 314-479-7757 He's fooled around with AC parts for a long time and knows a lot of people.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 7:28am
Local Fuel Inj shop shudders every time one is brought in, parts are scarce, the new turn is to try to find a inline Bosch to replace the Ambac or swap to a Roosa Master style.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Local Fuel Inj shop shudders every time one is brought in, parts are scarce, the new turn is to try to find a inline Bosch to replace the Ambac or swap to a Roosa Master style.

DM

Any chance of more detail on these swaps?  Which pumps etc.  Seems to me that the Allis setup must run the pump at crank speed so the pump must have reduction gears??
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garlic Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 3:12pm

It is good to have lots of good support and people who have been there before.

One of the guys on the ACMOC board suggested heating it in the oven and cooling the plunger.  I put it in Garlic Mom's oven at 350 degrees for fifteen or twenty minutes.  (She left out one batch of roasted garlic to make space.)

At first it was no dice.  I even tried the ice on the plunger end trick.  It wasn't really hot yet, though.  I could hold my hand on it momentarily before it started to burn.

I put it back in for another ten minutes.  At that point it was really too hot to touch at all.  I got Garlic Mom's BIG junk drawer screwdriver and pried between the spring coils.  It looked like it budged.  I pried some more.  There was definitely some space between the coils now, so I had worked the plunger back up some.

It took quite a while of prying it up and tapping it down with a hammer, but pretty soon, the plunger was moving as far as the sleeve would allow.  The sleeve was still REALLY stuck on the plunger though.

I reheated it a couple of times and kept working it back and forth, using various wedges to hold the sleeve in one position or another.  Another twenty minute's work and it is now working really nice.

Here's a short video of me working it by hand.  You can see the sleeve moving with the plunger, but when it hits the stop, the plunger moves the rest of the way through the sleeve.

https://youtu.be/Nhum5QYOn-Y

And here's a short video where I've used a paperclip to hold the sleeve in one position.  You can see the marks on the plunger where the sleeve was stuck.

Now my only problem is going to be the sleeve control shaft with the sheared key.

rymram, you mentioned silver soldering it, but the sleeve has a slot and the key is rectangular so it needs to rotate in relation to the shaft to say parallel with the slot.

I bet I could get away with just putting a blob of silver solder on the end and shaping it into a round plug.  As long as the plug didn't bind in the slot and didn't come off, it should hold that sleeve wherever it needs to.  The sleeve can't really put much torque on the shaft, I believe it essentially floats in there, when it isn't bound up to the plunger.

I may just try the solder blob and see what happens.  It won't wear as well as the proper system, but it'll probably last for the rest of my life.

Pete.

JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 3:27pm
If you have some real good silver solder, why don't you just heat the two parts up and soldier them back together...have to clean the faces good good, and clean all the extra material away.  Good luck.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 4:02pm
You probably have a good chance of getting that part in useable condition out of a dead pump.  Then you'll know it is right.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garlic Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 5:15pm

Last weekend I succeeded in brazing a blob on the end of the shaft where the tang was.  Here’s a photo of the result.  It seemed to work quite well, didn’t bind and the sleeve moved up and down as it should.

I reassembled the pump and cranked the engine a bit.  I got fuel from one injector supply port, but only one!  I could control the flow by working the governor arm back and forth, from significant pulses down to nothing in the shutdown position.

I was confused about why I only got fuel from one supply port until I watched the rotator gear while cranking.  The gear wasn’t rotating anymore.  Looking closer, I noticed that the timing window through the sheet metal cover had shifted somewhat.  That is as far as I could get last weekend.

Yesterday, I took the hydraulic head off to see what was the damage.  The sheet metal retainer over the driven gear had rotated and gotten bound between the teeth of the drive gear and driven gear.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/lrozz4dn9/]https://s26.postimg.org/gga3eerkp/20180120_103615.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/m4ge5byhx/]https://s26.postimg.org/qdl47i1rd/20180120_103832.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/4eepk9q1x/]https://s26.postimg.org/h5svqrzu1/20180120_103833.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/7l993vncl/]https://s26.postimg.org/qqcidn20p/20180120_103835.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/jn4my09fp/]https://s26.postimg.org/ols5cjd8p/20180120_103840.jpg" />[/url]

I know the reason for this problem.  When I tried to reassemble the hydraulic head the first time, there was a small piece of sheet metal over the drive gear on the end of the quill shaft which interfered with the rotator gear teeth, preventing the hydraulic head from lowering all the way into place.

I fiddled and fiddled, trying to move the rotator gear teeth slightly one way or another to fish them past the little piece of sheet metal without luck.  Finally, I decided that the sheet metal over the quill shaft must have moved out a bit from the position where it belongs.  I bent it back just a bit with a punch to get it to clear the rotator gear teeth.

That adjustment allowed the hydraulic head to lower down, but apparently that piece of sheet metal over the quill shaft is supposed to prevent the sheet metal cover over the rotator gear from rotating itself and binding in the gear teeth.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/umpu9m7kl/]https://s26.postimg.org/ixlulngm1/20180120_103856.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/f18ipmdlx/]https://s26.postimg.org/667of3otl/20180120_103857.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/41nbe2cx1/]https://s26.postimg.org/yvukbsijt/20180120_103900.jpg" />[/url]

Since the pump was pumping, but not rotating, I knew the main pump drive shaft was rotating with the engine.  There had to be a catastrophic failure somewhere in the quill shaft or rotator gear.  I pulled the pump and disassembled to investigate.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/cc94lml91/]https://s26.postimg.org/yo6xf0kd5/20180121_082241.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/b9yy31zut/]https://s26.postimg.org/qvg9n0bt5/20180121_082236.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/fvv2bf0th/]https://s26.postimg.org/46r2ng9ux/20180121_082213.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/o1d49r4jp/]https://s26.postimg.org/9i5z8cbex/20180121_083015.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/egthmwa2t/]https://s26.postimg.org/lwsr8oxs9/20180121_083019.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/mmbjl0o11/]https://s26.postimg.org/t00mo9sx5/20180121_083219.jpg" />[/url]

Here’s the problem.  The quill shaft twisted off the helical gear on the bottom of it.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/ipy7p0nlx/]https://s26.postimg.org/hno16h4sp/20180121_083354.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/tcs0ufgbp/]https://s26.postimg.org/m9k5etaw9/20180121_083359.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/ax7jx2k7p/]https://s26.postimg.org/yo6xf6kex/20180121_083432.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/6bbfoqtjp/]https://s26.postimg.org/sahubyae1/20180121_083810.jpg" />[/url]

Here is a picture of the drive gear end of the quill shaft.  It turns out the sheet metal I saw wasn’t attached to the housing, it is a little sheet metal hat attached to the top of the quill shaft with a single little cutout.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/uf27d7js5/]https://s26.postimg.org/qiovh7ysp/20180121_083827.jpg" />[/url]

Apparently that sheet metal hat provides a guide to keep the sheet metal cover over the rotator gear from doing what it did to me.  The hat has a cutout to allow the hydraulic head rotator gear teeth to drop into mesh when the cutout is oriented properly.  I assume that the cutout is aligned properly when the engine has the No. 1 cylinder at top dead center, since that is how timing is accomplished.

Luckily, my buddy Daron has three surplus military deuce and a half engines, each with American Bosch fuel pumps.  I made a quick trip up the hill to California City for spare parts.

He acquired these engines through a government liquidation auction back around 1980.  They haven’t run or rotated since then, but they’ve been pretty well protected.  Two have the pumps still mounted and plumbed, but one had the pump removed and sitting next to the engine in the crate.  We took that one because it was easy.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/on2364f45/]https://s26.postimg.org/6x0el31jd/20180121_063430.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/oaaozy4k5/]https://s26.postimg.org/hju7qiheh/20180121_063445.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/lg7jmh7it/]https://s26.postimg.org/cl6pbyiqh/20180121_063512.jpg" />[/url]

It is a PSB6 pump, although a slightly different variant.  Hopefully the internal parts I need will be the same as mine.

The military pumps have an interesting timing advance mechanism between the pump and the engine accessory drive.  It apparently works from oil pressure, as it has a line that connects from the pump oil supply to its housing.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/7cboe1q0l/]https://s26.postimg.org/m8a7ln1fd/20180121_072609.jpg" />[/url]

I separated them and can see it has a slight helical gear with springs which push the drive out on the helix.  As oil pressure (or perhaps shaft RPMs) increase, the springs are compressed and the helix changes the injection timing slightly.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/5xa3pb9hx/]https://s26.postimg.org/8eluwkteh/20180121_072615.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/xxe79m03p/]https://s26.postimg.org/d0hz4y22x/20180121_072621.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/v3b1w5ihx/]https://s26.postimg.org/esaxzu609/20180121_072626.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/m8a7ll3z9/]https://s26.postimg.org/hme3d8ig9/20180121_072629.jpg" />[/url]

After separating the variable timing drive, the first order of business was to remove the governor control shaft.  If this sleeve locator tang was intact, I didn’t want to risk breaking this one.  Pulling the shutoff cover, the inside was promisingly clean and rust free.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/n80ihdylh/]https://s26.postimg.org/yx4i5cpk9/20180121_063623.jpg" />[/url]

I removed the hairpin clip on the governor shaft, pushed the shaft back through the pivot arm and removed the two shaft retainer screws and clamp.  They all came off nicely and easily.

I tried to be careful not to put any rotating force to the shaft at all.  I tried to pry carefully on the retainer ears and the governor arm itself.  Nothing wanted to move.

I gradually escalated my efforts, prying a little harder each time.  I couldn’t get the shaft or retainer to budge.  I finally resorted to trying to very slightly rotate the shaft retainer ears, thinking perhaps it was gummy or a bit stuck.

At first I couldn’t even get the shaft to rotate at all.  Eventually I was able to just very slightly rotate the retainer a fraction one way, then a fraction the other.  I felt confident that I wasn’t moving it enough to shear the tang off.  I was just moving it enough to have a barely perceptible movement.

I kept prying gently while very slightly rotating it one way, then the other.  One time, I pried a bit too hard and broke off one of the shaft retainer ears, but it still wouldn’t come out.

Finally, I decided to apply some heat, so I carefully and gently heated the hydraulic head around the area where the shaft penetrates.  I was taking a risk because of the rubber seal behind the shaft and the other passages and seals inside the head, but I had to get the shaft out one way or another.

Eventually, after several cycles of heat, working slightly back and forth and prying, getting it a bit hotter each time, I got the shaft to come out.

Unfortunately, once the shaft was out, it was apparent that its tang had been sheared long ago and the shaft, the sleeve and what I could see of the plunger were very crusty and corroded.  Apparently this part of the system had suffered from years of being empty with an opening to humidity.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/bb8vwymed/]https://s26.postimg.org/xzy2wj3s9/20180121_120220.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/rm8ztam1h/]https://s26.postimg.org/5ab6zwmxl/20180121_120227.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/n80ihdylh/]https://s26.postimg.org/yx4i5cpk9/20180121_063623.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/m5qbytd79/]https://s26.postimg.org/6x0el1jix/20180121_071148.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/lsyxsosdh/]https://s26.postimg.org/eczo6w4o9/20180121_071153.jpg" />[/url]

Obviously, this pump wasn’t going to be a donor for a sleeve control shaft.  That is O. K.  Daron has two more we can investigate for that piece and this pump still might have the other parts I need.

I pulled the quill shaft out, which looked great.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/uds9jrn39/]https://s26.postimg.org/ml1lrsh49/20180121_073008.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/lirf9960l/]https://s26.postimg.org/d0hz4wzi1/20180121_073041.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/js8e7ee39/]https://s26.postimg.org/cc94llqe1/20180121_073049.jpg" />[/url]

One point I’d like to confirm with those who have been there before me relates to aligning the sheet metal window on the quill shaft hat.  I assumed that I need to align the timing pointer on the pump drive with the timing mark, then install the quill shaft such that the window in the hat faces out, allowing the hydraulic head gear to drop in.

In this photo, you can see the pointer, with the timing mark about twenty degrees past the pointer.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/5lsncly7p/]https://s26.postimg.org/4jigu2feh/20180121_083817.jpg" />[/url]

Here is how I installed the quill shaft with the line aligned with the pointer.  It made me a bit nervous that the sheet metal hat isn’t quite centered, but I tried one tooth in either direction and this is clearly the best fit.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/oe4ig7a1h/]https://s26.postimg.org/urtljgexl/20180121_084239.jpg" />[/url]

Now, my problem is to find out how to put the No. 1 cylinder on top dead center of the compression stroke.  I found the timing window on the flywheel housing.  It is in an easy to get to spot which is impossible to see because of the torque converter hoses and other stuff in the way.

I pulled the valve cover and rotated the engine by hand a handful of times, identifying when the No. 1 cylinder valves were rocking from one closing to the other opening.  From there, I rotate the engine three hundred sixty degrees, figuring that should be close to top dead center.

Garlic Mom got her flashlight and hand mirror and squeezed between the tire and frame to watch the timing window for me.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/ax7jxbs05/]https://s26.postimg.org/rkz1ztmrt/20180121_095320.jpg" />[/url]

We went back and forth about thirty degrees on either side of where I thought top dead center was.  We decided that this hole and circle must be the top dead center mark, as it seemed to be just in the right spot.  That spot also corresponded pretty well with 360 degrees from the valve rock point.  Is this really the timing mark?

[url=https://postimg.org/image/iegrc3745/]https://s26.postimg.org/96oive021/20180121_100343.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/7245uab9x/]https://s26.postimg.org/pug0xv7o9/20180121_100531.jpg" />[/url]

If it is, I should be at top dead center for the No. 1 cylinder.  By the way, I assume that No. 1 is the one closest to the fan and furthest from the flywheel.

I see that the pump drive gear has a FRONT mark and a timing punch mark on a tooth immediately below that FRONT mark.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/v5uximjh1/]https://s26.postimg.org/xafajpl3t/20180121_102105.jpg" />[/url]

If I’m right about the position of the engine,  I expected to find a timing mark on the accessory drive gear.  I couldn’t find anything though.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/ipy7pf0l1/]https://s26.postimg.org/4w9v0d7zt/20180121_102304_001.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/qwq7gg0s5/]https://s26.postimg.org/e5c19xr09/20180121_102306.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/cc94m50tx/]https://s26.postimg.org/qiovhdbp5/20180121_102329_001.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/d31urcq6d/]https://s26.postimg.org/rm8zsrjbd/20180121_102330_001.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/te1yo6aj9/]https://s26.postimg.org/9w7b88dll/20180121_102333.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/6pcro7nw5/]https://s26.postimg.org/alq3k78vt/20180121_102355_001.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/ly2p2e29h/]https://s26.postimg.org/ypgv8wc1l/20180121_102358.jpg" />[/url]

I see that the pump drive gear has slotted bolt holes.  I assume I need to find the timing mark on the accessory drive gear and set the gear in, then align the pump drive flange score to the pump timing pointer, then tighten down the drive gear on to the pump drive flange.  That will ensure the quill shaft hat window will allow the hydraulic head to drop on.  At the same time, the hydraulic head rotator gear will be timed because the marked tooth will be aligned with the timing pointer in the timing window of the pump itself.

Those in the know, please confirm the above pump installation procedures.  If I’m right about the procedure, maybe I don’t need to worry too much about timing marks between the accessory drive gear and the pump drive gear.  As long as the engine really has No. 1 at top dead center on the compression stroke and I have enough room in the pump drive gear slots to align the pump drive flange score mark with the pump timing pointer, everything should be O. K.

Now for some questions about the rotating gear, the tin cover for it and the drive from the rotating gear to the plunger itself.

I can see that the tin cover is assembled by slipping it over the rotating gear and hydraulic head flange, then it is crimped in four places and staked at one place (which should keep it from rotating).

Since my tin cover got chewed up, I didn’t see any loss by prying it off.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/z289eszdh/]https://s26.postimg.org/6pcrocdnd/20180121_103818.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/ei3fgbrc5/]https://s26.postimg.org/96oivm59l/20180121_103819.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/ir85ihf5x/]https://s26.postimg.org/84ecd270p/20180121_103820.jpg" />[/url]

If I had to, I think I could straight this cover out and salvage it, but I think I’m better off to carefully remove the tin cover from Daron’s donor pump.  It appears to be in perfect shape and I don’t see any differences in this area between the two pumps.

If I can remove the tin cover from the donor pump, should I be O. K. to just recrimp in the same four places with a screwdriver, then stake it with a punch in the same place as is provided on both hydraulic heads?

Once I had the tin cover off, I could see what I think are other problems.  The rotating gear operates on what I think is supposed to be a one piece collar which has two ears engaged in recesses in the rotating gear and has a square opening through which the square part of the plunger shaft passes.

On my pump, this collar is in two pieces.  It must have split when the plunger was seized and the engine was first rotated.  It is possible that it is supposed to be in two pieces, I haven’t taken apart the donor hydraulic head yet.

I don’t think it is supposed to be in two pieces because the two pieces aren’t symmetrical and the plunger shaft is able to move rather a lot in relation to the rotating gear.  Here are some pictures of the assembly as it is now, including a couple which show the plunger shaft rotated within the collar one way, then the other.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/w8541chrp/]https://s26.postimg.org/7245uighl/20180121_105737.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/xafajvsv9/]https://s26.postimg.org/5ztzbypyh/20180121_105744.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/tqtcucddh/]https://s26.postimg.org/7evk0ye9l/20180121_105748.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/4ksengu2t/]https://s26.postimg.org/3v9mb3tjd/20180121_105752.jpg" />[/url]

The plunger does rotate with the gear, but I’d estimate there is probably fifteen or twenty degrees of play with the system the way it currently is.  I can’t imagine this is acceptable.  Without disassembling the donor hydraulic head, I can see that all the rotating gear and drive stuff is in good shape and doesn’t appear to have the slack that this system has.  Is it likely I can swap the drive collar from the donor pump onto this one?

I know I can’t swap plungers, as they’re matched.  I would expect this drive collar and the square part of the plunger to be standardized though, so I hope exchanging the drive collar shouldn’t be a problem.

That leads me to what I hope is my last question:  If the drive collar can be exchanged, I have four possibilities to assemble the rotating gear onto the plunger shaft.  How do I time the shaft to the drive collar?  Is it as simple as aligning the spill slot in the plunger with the timing tooth on the rotating gear?  Maybe there is a timing mark on the plunger shaft end that I haven’t noticed?

Thanks for any help the group can give me.

I think if I can accumulate all the knowledge and hopefully find one good governor control shaft with a good tang on it from Daron, I might be able to reassemble this thing and hear it run next weekend.

Pete.

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garlic Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 5:17pm
Apparently only the first photo link above worked.  The links worked in other posts, maybe my post had too many characters.  I'm going to try again in three pieces here.

Last weekend I succeeded in brazing a blob on the end of the shaft where the tang was.  Here’s a photo of the result.  It seemed to work quite well, didn’t bind and the sleeve moved up and down as it should.

I reassembled the pump and cranked the engine a bit.  I got fuel from one injector supply port, but only one!  I could control the flow by working the governor arm back and forth, from significant pulses down to nothing in the shutdown position.

I was confused about why I only got fuel from one supply port until I watched the rotator gear while cranking.  The gear wasn’t rotating anymore.  Looking closer, I noticed that the timing window through the sheet metal cover had shifted somewhat.  That is as far as I could get last weekend.

Yesterday, I took the hydraulic head off to see what was the damage.  The sheet metal retainer over the driven gear had rotated and gotten bound between the teeth of the drive gear and driven gear.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/lrozz4dn9/]https://s26.postimg.org/gga3eerkp/20180120_103615.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/m4ge5byhx/]https://s26.postimg.org/qdl47i1rd/20180120_103832.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/4eepk9q1x/]https://s26.postimg.org/h5svqrzu1/20180120_103833.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/7l993vncl/]https://s26.postimg.org/qqcidn20p/20180120_103835.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/jn4my09fp/]https://s26.postimg.org/ols5cjd8p/20180120_103840.jpg" />[/url]

I know the reason for this problem.  When I tried to reassemble the hydraulic head the first time, there was a small piece of sheet metal over the drive gear on the end of the quill shaft which interfered with the rotator gear teeth, preventing the hydraulic head from lowering all the way into place.

I fiddled and fiddled, trying to move the rotator gear teeth slightly one way or another to fish them past the little piece of sheet metal without luck.  Finally, I decided that the sheet metal over the quill shaft must have moved out a bit from the position where it belongs.  I bent it back just a bit with a punch to get it to clear the rotator gear teeth.

That adjustment allowed the hydraulic head to lower down, but apparently that piece of sheet metal over the quill shaft is supposed to prevent the sheet metal cover over the rotator gear from rotating itself and binding in the gear teeth.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/umpu9m7kl/]https://s26.postimg.org/ixlulngm1/20180120_103856.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/f18ipmdlx/]https://s26.postimg.org/667of3otl/20180120_103857.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/41nbe2cx1/]https://s26.postimg.org/yvukbsijt/20180120_103900.jpg" />[/url]

Since the pump was pumping, but not rotating, I knew the main pump drive shaft was rotating with the engine.  There had to be a catastrophic failure somewhere in the quill shaft or rotator gear.  I pulled the pump and disassembled to investigate.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/cc94lml91/]https://s26.postimg.org/yo6xf0kd5/20180121_082241.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/b9yy31zut/]https://s26.postimg.org/qvg9n0bt5/20180121_082236.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/fvv2bf0th/]https://s26.postimg.org/46r2ng9ux/20180121_082213.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/o1d49r4jp/]https://s26.postimg.org/9i5z8cbex/20180121_083015.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/egthmwa2t/]https://s26.postimg.org/lwsr8oxs9/20180121_083019.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/mmbjl0o11/]https://s26.postimg.org/t00mo9sx5/20180121_083219.jpg" />[/url]

Here’s the problem.  The quill shaft twisted off the helical gear on the bottom of it.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/ipy7p0nlx/]https://s26.postimg.org/hno16h4sp/20180121_083354.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/tcs0ufgbp/]https://s26.postimg.org/m9k5etaw9/20180121_083359.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/ax7jx2k7p/]https://s26.postimg.org/yo6xf6kex/20180121_083432.jpg" />[/url]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/6bbfoqtjp/]https://s26.postimg.org/sahubyae1/20180121_083810.jpg" />[/url]

Here is a picture of the drive gear end of the quill shaft.  It turns out the sheet metal I saw wasn’t attached to the housing, it is a little sheet metal hat attached to the top of the quill shaft with a single little cutout.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/uf27d7js5/]https://s26.postimg.org/qiovh7ysp/20180121_083827.jpg" />[/url]

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garlic Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 5:21pm
Sorry for the mess.  I guess it didn't like the hyperlinks.

Apparently that sheet metal hat provides a guide to keep the sheet metal cover over the rotator gear from doing what it did to me.  The hat has a cutout to allow the hydraulic head rotator gear teeth to drop into mesh when the cutout is oriented properly.  I assume that the cutout is aligned properly when the engine has the No. 1 cylinder at top dead center, since that is how timing is accomplished.

Luckily, my buddy Daron has three surplus military deuce and a half engines, each with American Bosch fuel pumps.  I made a quick trip up the hill to California City for spare parts.

He acquired these engines through a government liquidation auction back around 1980.  They haven’t run or rotated since then, but they’ve been pretty well protected.  Two have the pumps still mounted and plumbed, but one had the pump removed and sitting next to the engine in the crate.  We took that one because it was easy.

It is a PSB6 pump, although a slightly different variant.  Hopefully the internal parts I need will be the same as mine.

The military pumps have an interesting timing advance mechanism between the pump and the engine accessory drive.  It apparently works from oil pressure, as it has a line that connects from the pump oil supply to its housing.

I separated them and can see it has a slight helical gear with springs which push the drive out on the helix.  As oil pressure (or perhaps shaft RPMs) increase, the springs are compressed and the helix changes the injection timing slightly.

After separating the variable timing drive, the first order of business was to remove the governor control shaft.  If this sleeve locator tang was intact, I didn’t want to risk breaking this one.  Pulling the shutoff cover, the inside was promisingly clean and rust free.

I removed the hairpin clip on the governor shaft, pushed the shaft back through the pivot arm and removed the two shaft retainer screws and clamp.  They all came off nicely and easily.

I tried to be careful not to put any rotating force to the shaft at all.  I tried to pry carefully on the retainer ears and the governor arm itself.  Nothing wanted to move.

I gradually escalated my efforts, prying a little harder each time.  I couldn’t get the shaft or retainer to budge.  I finally resorted to trying to very slightly rotate the shaft retainer ears, thinking perhaps it was gummy or a bit stuck.

At first I couldn’t even get the shaft to rotate at all.  Eventually I was able to just very slightly rotate the retainer a fraction one way, then a fraction the other.  I felt confident that I wasn’t moving it enough to shear the tang off.  I was just moving it enough to have a barely perceptible movement.

I kept prying gently while very slightly rotating it one way, then the other.  One time, I pried a bit too hard and broke off one of the shaft retainer ears, but it still wouldn’t come out.

Finally, I decided to apply some heat, so I carefully and gently heated the hydraulic head around the area where the shaft penetrates.  I was taking a risk because of the rubber seal behind the shaft and the other passages and seals inside the head, but I had to get the shaft out one way or another.

Eventually, after several cycles of heat, working slightly back and forth and prying, getting it a bit hotter each time, I got the shaft to come out.

Unfortunately, once the shaft was out, it was apparent that its tang had been sheared long ago and the shaft, the sleeve and what I could see of the plunger were very crusty and corroded.  Apparently this part of the system had suffered from years of being empty with an opening to humidity.

Obviously, this pump wasn’t going to be a donor for a sleeve control shaft.  That is O. K.  Daron has two more we can investigate for that piece and this pump still might have the other parts I need.

I pulled the quill shaft out, which looked great.

One point I’d like to confirm with those who have been there before me relates to aligning the sheet metal window on the quill shaft hat.  I assumed that I need to align the timing pointer on the pump drive with the timing mark, then install the quill shaft such that the window in the hat faces out, allowing the hydraulic head gear to drop in.

In this photo, you can see the pointer, with the timing mark about twenty degrees past the pointer.

Here is how I installed the quill shaft with the line aligned with the pointer.  It made me a bit nervous that the sheet metal hat isn’t quite centered, but I tried one tooth in either direction and this is clearly the best fit.

Now, my problem is to find out how to put the No. 1 cylinder on top dead center of the compression stroke.  I found the timing window on the flywheel housing.  It is in an easy to get to spot which is impossible to see because of the torque converter hoses and other stuff in the way.

I pulled the valve cover and rotated the engine by hand a handful of times, identifying when the No. 1 cylinder valves were rocking from one closing to the other opening.  From there, I rotate the engine three hundred sixty degrees, figuring that should be close to top dead center.

Garlic Mom got her flashlight and hand mirror and squeezed between the tire and frame to watch the timing window for me.

We went back and forth about thirty degrees on either side of where I thought top dead center was.  We decided that this hole and circle must be the top dead center mark, as it seemed to be just in the right spot.  That spot also corresponded pretty well with 360 degrees from the valve rock point.  Is this really the timing mark?

If it is, I should be at top dead center for the No. 1 cylinder.  By the way, I assume that No. 1 is the one closest to the fan and furthest from the flywheel.

I see that the pump drive gear has a FRONT mark and a timing punch mark on a tooth immediately below that FRONT mark.

If I’m right about the position of the engine,  I expected to find a timing mark on the accessory drive gear.  I couldn’t find anything though.

I see that the pump drive gear has slotted bolt holes.  I assume I need to find the timing mark on the accessory drive gear and set the gear in, then align the pump drive flange score to the pump timing pointer, then tighten down the drive gear on to the pump drive flange.  That will ensure the quill shaft hat window will allow the hydraulic head to drop on.  At the same time, the hydraulic head rotator gear will be timed because the marked tooth will be aligned with the timing pointer in the timing window of the pump itself.

Those in the know, please confirm the above pump installation procedures.  If I’m right about the procedure, maybe I don’t need to worry too much about timing marks between the accessory drive gear and the pump drive gear.  As long as the engine really has No. 1 at top dead center on the compression stroke and I have enough room in the pump drive gear slots to align the pump drive flange score mark with the pump timing pointer, everything should be O. K.

Now for some questions about the rotating gear, the tin cover for it and the drive from the rotating gear to the plunger itself.

I can see that the tin cover is assembled by slipping it over the rotating gear and hydraulic head flange, then it is crimped in four places and staked at one place (which should keep it from rotating).

Since my tin cover got chewed up, I didn’t see any loss by prying it off.

If I had to, I think I could straight this cover out and salvage it, but I think I’m better off to carefully remove the tin cover from Daron’s donor pump.  It appears to be in perfect shape and I don’t see any differences in this area between the two pumps.

If I can remove the tin cover from the donor pump, should I be O. K. to just recrimp in the same four places with a screwdriver, then stake it with a punch in the same place as is provided on both hydraulic heads?

Once I had the tin cover off, I could see what I think are other problems.  The rotating gear operates on what I think is supposed to be a one piece collar which has two ears engaged in recesses in the rotating gear and has a square opening through which the square part of the plunger shaft passes.

On my pump, this collar is in two pieces.  It must have split when the plunger was seized and the engine was first rotated.  It is possible that it is supposed to be in two pieces, I haven’t taken apart the donor hydraulic head yet.

I don’t think it is supposed to be in two pieces because the two pieces aren’t symmetrical and the plunger shaft is able to move rather a lot in relation to the rotating gear.  Here are some pictures of the assembly as it is now, including a couple which show the plunger shaft rotated within the collar one way, then the other.

The plunger does rotate with the gear, but I’d estimate there is probably fifteen or twenty degrees of play with the system the way it currently is.  I can’t imagine this is acceptable.  Without disassembling the donor hydraulic head, I can see that all the rotating gear and drive stuff is in good shape and doesn’t appear to have the slack that this system has.  Is it likely I can swap the drive collar from the donor pump onto this one?

I know I can’t swap plungers, as they’re matched.  I would expect this drive collar and the square part of the plunger to be standardized though, so I hope exchanging the drive collar shouldn’t be a problem.

That leads me to what I hope is my last question:  If the drive collar can be exchanged, I have four possibilities to assemble the rotating gear onto the plunger shaft.  How do I time the shaft to the drive collar?  Is it as simple as aligning the spill slot in the plunger with the timing tooth on the rotating gear?  Maybe there is a timing mark on the plunger shaft end that I haven’t noticed?

Thanks for any help the group can give me.

I think if I can accumulate all the knowledge and hopefully find one good governor control shaft with a good tang on it from Daron, I might be able to reassemble this thing and hear it run next weekend.

Pete.

Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 11:23pm
Pete

Try that set of pages for the AC 45.  If yours is similar -

1.  You ought to have a timing mark on the top LHS of the flywheel housing under a squarish plate.  When you have No 1 (Fan end cylinder) about TDC you need the FPI mark lined up with that pointer.

2.  You need the marked tooth on the head lined up 1 tooth to the rear of that timing pointer.  If you have it lined up directly it seems the plunger is hydraulic locking until the distributor lines up with the injection pipe port - which doesn't sound good for the internals

3.  Then there is another timing pointer under a plate on top of the timing housing (the oil filler on an AC 45).  Which has to line up with the centre mark on the boss that holds the timing gear.  And the plunger spring wants to turn the shaft away from lining up with that mark.  You set that on the grader (blower engine) with a shaft that sticks out the front of the timing case which has a square end for a spanner and then tighten the 3 bolts as you turn the engine to get at them.  I'm not sure how you'll do that as I don't have a manual that covers  10000-on engines.  Would be in a comprehensive HD 11 engine manual if you can find one of them.

I've never been in the skew gear section so no help there.

When you do that spill valve shaft and the tang area make sure there are no tiny burrs on anything.  We had problems with throttle response from one which used to catch with the primary fuel pressure on it.  It took our very patient diesel mech son most of a day to find it.

How we got into this in the beginning?  We scored an unused short block with a supposedly reconditioned pump.  Which leaked fuel into the oil.  Because it was missing the bottom O-ring for the head.

Hope yours works
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 6:04am
When you load photos you have to use the photo load in the menu line above the writing block. Looks like a tree with an arrow on it. The site does not allow drag and drop nor does it seem to like odd hyper links. Will have to go back in and edit or delete as there is not much room in the site storage. Just my $.02.

Edited by DMiller - 22 Jan 2018 at 6:04am
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garlic Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 10:24am

Mom and I made a trip up to Daron’s in California City Saturday.  Along the way, we delivered Chad’s tail seat Twenty Two, which he had bought at the Doug Peltzer auction and picked up a nifty little Allis Chalmers WC grader that Daron had bought.

Here’s a little video of the loading process.  We had plenty of help.

https://youtu.be/N86qi0zmyZ4

Daron’s last spare engine had the intact sleeve control shaft that I needed.  It was a bit crusty, but still intact and looked like it would clean up nicely.

First, I soaked in some P. B. Blaster for a while.  After that, I very gently tried to work the tang back and forth by hand.  I couldn’t get it to move, so I tried some small pliers, just very gently and carefully.

At first, I still couldn’t see or feel any movement, but after a bunch of very gentle back and forth cycles, I thought I could see just a tiny amount of movement.  I just kept patiently working it back and forth, back and forth and eventually it got a bit easier each time.  Once it was moveable by finger pressure, I knew I had it made.

Once I was confident that the tang would free up enough to float freely, I started soaking and spraying the sleeve and shaft.  They moved, but were very, very stiff.

I soaked and worked them many cycles, but it was apparent that they weren’t going to come free enough to allow the governor to work.

I decided I’d better remove the nut and control arm from the splines and try to work the shaft out of the sleeve.  The nut and control arm came off the shaft reasonably easily.

With them out of the way, I was able to carefully use two vice grips to rotate the shaft within the sleeve while pulling them apart.

That shaft fought me all the way until the last micron.  It took a long time and a lot of working, rotating and pulling, but they finally came apart.

Of course the shaft and bore looked clean and shiny and as soon as they parted, they slid back together and worked effortlessly.  These are apparently a close enough fit that just a few molecules of rust are enough to create a bind.

Once everything was clean and moving freely, I reassembled the shaft, sleeve, arm, nut and lock.

Now, to remove the broken pump drive collar from the good hydraulic head and swap it with the good one from Daron’s donor pump.

The donor pump plunger was frozen in its bore, apparently partially compressed.  Mom helped me and we tried to compress the spring and remove the valve keepers from the head, but there wasn’t quite enough room to get them fished out.

I didn’t want to damage the drive collar, as I knew the other one was broken.  I tried wedging chisels in the spring coils to push the plunger out, but it wouldn’t budge.  Knowing this plunger and hydraulic head were no good, I finally just snapped the end off the plunger to get the spring and keepers out of the way.

Here are some photos of the drive collar installed on the good hydraulic head.  The collar has three flats and one curved side to match the pump plunger, meaning as long as it is installed with the right side up, the plunger will be timed to the drive gear properly.

It was easy work reinstalling the spring and retainers.

I timed the hydraulic head to the drive sleeve timing mark, following the instructions so that when the sleeve hash mark aligned with the pointer the timing tooth on the hydraulic head gear was one tooth to the right of the timing mark on the pump body.

Here is the completed pump, ready for installation on the tractor.

The rest of the installation was pretty quick and easy.  Just hang the pump then tighten down the three flange nuts.  I already had the engine set with the No. 1 cylinder at top dead center on the compression stroke.

After that, slip the timing gear in, then use the pump shaft nut to rotate the pump until the hydraulic head drive gear had the marked tooth one tooth to the right of the timing mark.  Hold it there and tighten down the three timing gear to pump drive flange retaining nuts, which locks the gear in relation to the pump drive flange.

Hook up all the fuel lines and it was ready to go.  I cranked the engine with the injector lines off until it primed up and pumped some fuel out of the injector supply ports.  Hopefully any dirt or grit in there would get pumped overboard.  It didn’t take long to have nice flow from all six ports.

I reconnected the injection lines and gave it a spin.  Here’s a video with me tightening the lines, then the first start and a bit of a run.

https://youtu.be/k6xtloV71N0

I still have several problems.  The suction line from the fuel tank has leaks and restrictions, so it is sucking air.  I believe the return line must have obstructions too, because I could see air bubbles coming from several bad places and loose connections on a few of the return lines to the filter manifold.

The governor also seemed to want to maintain the engine at a high idle.  I concluded that I likely didn’t index the arm correctly on the sleeve control shaft.  I think if it was a tooth off on the spline, the governor would want to maintain the wrong speeds.  I could control the engine speed by manually manipulating the sleeve control shaft (I had the shut off cover removed), but with the fuel supply problems, I couldn’t really run it long enough and consistently enough to diagnose.

I’m going to run new lines from the tank (which is up in front of the operator’s station) back to the pump, eliminating any restrictions and leaks, next work session.  (Hopefully next weekend).

I have taken a big step in resurrecting this tractor, mostly because of the help I received here.

Thank you all and I’ll keep you posted as things progress.

Pete.

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garlic Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 10:26am
Here are live links to the videos:

Loading the WC grader.

First run of the wheel dozer.

Pete.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garlic Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 10:37am

More Progress, More Questions.

I made more progress this weekend, but have more questions.

The first order of business was the last remaining issue with the PSB pump.  The governor seemed to work like on a generator set, not a tractor.  It maintained high idle, no matter where the throttle lever was positioned.

I knew it was working because if the throttle lever was put in the idle position, the governor would just slightly reduce engine speed, but as soon as the throttle lever was moved off the stop, the governor would increase engine speed again, but not overspeed the engine.

I decided to take apart the governor on Daron’s spare pump first, to learn how the mechanism works and hopefully learn something that would help diagnose the one on the tractor.  Here’s another situation where having Daron as a friend with lots of spare stuff really pays off!

As with most stuff on this American Bosch stuff, the system is easy to disassemble and pretty simple from an engineering sense, too.  Makes reverse engineering in the field pretty nice!

The governor separates from the pump by unscrewing five bolts, then just pulling the governor housing from the pump housing.

Here’s a view of the pump housing with flyweights.

Here’s a view of the top of the governor housing showing the sleeve meter control rod attachment point and idle and power setting adjustments.

And here’s the governor housing, with the collar upon which the flyweights act.

You can see the collar and hollow shaft with the governor springs behind.  There are a couple nested springs which are inserted into the governor housing under a round cover.  The springs press on the shaft attached to the collar.

You can also see the frame which the hollow shaft engages.  The frame has a pivot on the bottom and the attachment for the sleeve meter control shaft at the top.  Inside the housing on the right of the picture you can also see a copper colored spring which surrounds the throttle control shaft.

The throttle shaft engages a pivot on the bottom of the frame.  In a balanced state, centrifugal force of the rotating governor shaft pushes the flyweights out, the flyweights push on the collar in this picture, compressing the governor springs at the back of the shaft.  As the collar moves back and forth, it move the frame, the frame pulls the sleeve meter control shaft, which injects more or less fuel.

Engine speed is maintained at the point that the centrifugal force of the flyweights exactly balances the strength of the springs at the back of the shaft.  If the engine experiences more load, the rotational speed will slow, centrifugal force on the flyweights will decrease but the springs will maintain constant pressure, meaning the frame will get pushed away from the back of the governor housing.  This action will move the sleeve metering control rod, meaning more fuel will be injected, meaning more power will be created, engine speed will increase, increasing centrifugal force on the flyweights and the system will come back into balance, once again at the same set engine speed.

If a load is removed from the engine, speed increases, the flyweights push out, the frame moves into the housing, sleeve meter reduces fuel injected, power goes down, engine speed goes down and the system once again seeks balance at the same set engine speed.

The throttle on this governor is interesting in that it operates by moving the pivot point of the bottom of the frame.  Since the flyweight pressure and spring pressure will always seek to balance each other and opening the throttle moves the pivot point at the bottom of the frame, the top of the frame will be pivoted in the opposite direction of the pivot point movement.

Opening the throttle moves the bottom pivot point slightly towards the rear of the governor housing, meaning in a balanced state, the top of the frame will move slightly away from the governor housing.  This movement causes the sleeve meter control rod to move away from the governor housing, meaning more fuel is injected, meaning that more power and more engine speed will be selected for a given balance state of the governor system.

From all this deduction process and knowing that the pump on this tractor had sat for years exposed to the elements, I thought that perhaps the problem with the governor on the tractor was that one flyweight was stiff or frozen on its pivot.  That would only apply half the centrifugal force to the collar against the governor springs and theoretically, should result in the governor trying to maintain way to high an engine speed.  The only way to know is to remove the governor on the tractor and take a look.

Here’s a photo of the flyweights on the tractor.

And here’s a short video.

https://youtu.be/AnZI6iIJxXI

Obviously they are nice and free, so the governor weights aren’t the problem.  I spent some time looking at and comparing the two governors.  They were nearly identical and for a while I couldn’t figure out why the tractor one didn’t work.

After a bit of comparing and experimenting, I figured out that the tractor throttle linkage wasn’t working right.  When the throttle shaft on Daron’s was moved, it moved the bottom of the frame visibly back and forth and I could feel a difference in the spring pressure on the sleeve meter control rod at the top of the frame.

When I moved the throttle shaft on the tractor governor, the frame barely moved at all and I really couldn’t detect a difference in sleeve meter control rod pressure.

Here’s a short video showing the two moving.  The tractor one is a little hard to see because of the dark oil in there, but I think you can make it out.

https://youtu.be/ks0wOorcaVY

I think I found the problem.  I thought about disassembling the tractor governor housing and swapping parts or repairing, but decided to save that project for another day.

Comparing the markings on the two pumps, it looks like the tractor is set for an idle speed of 600 RPM and high idle of 2,200 RPM.  Daron’s governor is set for an idle speed of 650 RPM and high idle of 2,600 RPM.  The idle speed difference is probably O. K.  The high idle difference is more significant and would result in significantly more horsepower than this system is designed for.  While I have this governor on here, I’ll have to be careful about engine top speeds.

Here are photos of the two number plates.

Eventually I’ll either repair the tractor governor or figure out how to adjust Daron’s to bring the high idle RPM back down to 2,200.  For now, I’ll just be careful.

Here is a photo of Daron’s governor installed on the tractor.

And here’s a little video of the engine running with the new governor.  I didn’t check this video until this morning, so the audio isn’t great because of the radiator fan wind noise, but you can see and sort of hear what is going on.  I’m really happy with the overall control of the engine now.  I think I’ve completed the injection pump part of the fuel system work.

https://youtu.be/jmBVGGDxazE

Now that I’ve got the injection pump basically working, I started work on diagnosing a miss.  One cylinder is clearly not firing, but I don’t really have any puffs of smoke, so I suspect that my dirty field work on the injection pump has probably let a piece of grit or something into one of the injectors.

Here’s a video from the top of the engine with it running a bit above low idle.  I cut out several injectors in turn by cracking the lines at each.  Cylinder number two appears to be the one which caused no change in the engine when the line was cracked.

https://youtu.be/KapJ6AgSNVk

I feel I’m getting good clean flow and a good amount (at least similar to the other injectors) at cylinder number 2.  I assume that means this injector is bad and needs to be swapped, rebuilt or repaired.

Here is a photo of the injector in question.

Can someone help out with information about those injectors?  I assume the removal process is:

1.    Clean the top of the head.

2.    Remove the supply line and return line.

3.    Unscrew the two hold down nuts.

4.    Pry the injector out of the bore.

Are there any tips or tricks?  Does anyone know about these injectors, can they be field cleaned or repaired, or do they just have to be replaced?  I’ve worked on International injectors from the late 1940’s.  Those can be completely disassembled and cleaned with simple hand tools.  I don’t imagine these will be that easy.

Does anyone know where I could get a new or rebuilt injector?  How would I go about finding the specifications or part numbers on this one to begin the search?

While I was up here and had the engine running for some time, I noticed another missing piece.  Note the gap between the turbocharger impeller housing and the exhaust elbow.  It looks like there is probably a collector ring missing.

I see several about 3/8” bolt holes in the impeller housing.  The way the exhaust elbow is supported on the manifold casting, it can’t be that it has shifted outward, there needs to be a small piece to fill the gap there.  I think I can run it as is if I have to, although I might not put the hood on to capture all that hot exhaust around the engine.

I did see a tag on the turbocharger, but I don’t know that these numbers will be of any help.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to figure out what piece is missing and locate a replacement?

Since I’ve got the engine basically functioning, albeit on only five cylinders for the moment, it was time to turn my attention to other systems.  The hydraulic pump had been removed, but did come with the tractor.  It is mounted to the side of the engine and belt driven by two V-belts off the crank pulley.  Without the pump installed, I can’t fill the hydraulic tank.  It appears that the transmission shares the hydraulic fluid with the rest of the tractor, so I can’t test the transmission without reinstalling the pump.

I also can’t test anything because all of the controls in the operator’s station are frozen solid.  I decided to attack freeing up the controls first.  With the open station, you’d think that would be easy, but this thing is constructed of a half inch steel tub with a little square cockpit with the steering wheel and dash in front, a control stand on each side of a fairly narrow seat and the hydraulic tank and other apparatus behind the driver’s back.  When sitting in the seat, the sides of the frame are about halfway between the driver’s elbows and shoulders.

There isn’t much room and all the linkages and controls are down in the bottom.  The floor plates had already been removed (but also came with the tractor).  The only way any work could be accomplished was by standing on my head.

The controls consist of a parking brake and transmission control on the driver’s left and two hydraulic control levers, a transmission range selector and a diverter plunger on the driver’s right and air brake pedals on the floor.  Nothing moved.

To top that off, the first part of the project was replacement of the rotten fuel lines, which attached to the front fuel tank way down in the bottom front of the cockpit, about a foot below the floor plates.

Garlic Mom was a bit concerned when she came out to check on me and saw this.

It took a lot of grunting and some choice words and probably ten minutes, but I was able to wiggle myself into and out of that cockpit.

Here are some photos of the various controls.  I have removed the seat, control covers and anything else I could to facilitate access.

This is the parking brake and transmission control.  The transmission control provides forward or reverse in three speeds.  The control cover has a gated path through which neutral lock is centered and away from the driver, the first set of forward/reverse slots is low, middle set is intermediate and closest set to the driver is high.

You can see from the below photo that the linkage works by a forward reverse control rod operating a crossover shaft with a push-pull rod back to a transmission valve.  The side to side control rod operates off the side of the lever to a sleeve on the crossover shaft with another push-pull rod back to another valve on the transmission.

Here are the right side controls, two hydraulic control levers, transmission range selector and plunger to diver one control from tilt to blade face angle.

Here are the brake pedals.  You can see the fuel tank connections down below the pedals.

Garlic Mom’s pictures were taken as I was deep in the bottom changing those two hoses.

After I got the fuel lines fixed up, most of the other controls freed up surprisingly easily.  Each one only took some shots of P. B. Blaster and some vigorous jerking back and forth of the control to eventually begin moving.

I did have to stand on my head with the rosebud to heat that power brake pedal shaft.  It took several cycles, but eventually even that freed up.  It is pretty exciting using the rosebud down there around all the accumulated dirt soaked with fuel and hydraulic fluid while standing on your head and having to wiggle in and out over a ten minute period.  I used lots of water bottles putting out small fires.

The other exception to the freeing process was the two hydraulic controls.  They each worked a push-pull rod which went up behind the driver’s head to a bell crank which worked valves on top of the hydraulic tank.

The levers themselves freed up nicely, but the bell cranks didn’t want to pivot.  Here’s a phot of the control valves.  The bell cranks and their mounting pad have already been removed to the left side of the picture.

Those bell cranks had sat under the louvered cover and accumulated rain and mist for years and they didn’t want to move.

I heated them with the rosebud and eventually they yielded.  I was surprised that each had a needle bearing and set of seals.  I was also surprised that there was no grease zerk to service the bearings.  I guess they were supposed to be sealed for life.  I’ll have to go to Applied Industrial Technology this week to match the bearings and seals.

Next work session I’ll reinstall the bell cranks with new bearings and seals and all controls should be operable.

I’ll need to figure out the hydraulic pump connections.  The pump has two supply connections and two output connections.  The outputs split at a sort of relief valve.  This wheel dozer uses the hydraulic pump to lift and tilt the blade and also has hydraulic steering.  I assume that the relief valve split on the outputs is probably really a priority valve to supply the steering over the blade controls.

I can only see one system pressure connection and one supply from the tank on the loader, though.  I can see the steering system connections at the wheel and trace them down to where they disappear inside a frame rail.  I don’t see the other end terminating near the pump, though.  Next work session I’ll have to trace those or try blowing air from the steering wheel end to find the ends of those steering lines.

Once I can connect the pump and fill the hydraulic tank, I can see if this thing will move and maybe even lift the blade.

Progress, but in small steps and with many questions.

Pete.

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garlic Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 9:05am

Not much progress this weekend.

I was able to find a diagram of the injector.

These look pretty simple and probably field reparable.  With the bit of time I had, I decided to try pulling the dead injector.

Here's the top of the head after blowing off all the dirt and junk.

I pulled the line from the injector pump and the common return line.  The hold down nut in the top of the above picture came off easy.  The one on the bottom, not so much.

That hold down stud had rotted more than half through with rust, so it just twisted off without even putting much pressure on it.  Oh well - I'm committed now.  I know my buddy Martin is a good welder and if I get the injector out of the way, I'll bet he can weld on a washer and nut and we can get that stud extracted.

With the hold down nuts (and one stud) out of the way, I tried to pry that injector out of there.  No dice.  I had a nice pry bar with one of those short wedge heads that got good purchase under the shoulder of the body where it sticks out and the supply line attaches.  I was afraid to pry much on the hold down ears for fear of breaking them off.  That injector didn't think about budging.

I decided to try removing the cap nut, jam nut, adjusting screw, spring and spindle rod from the top.  If I was lucky, maybe I could run some fuel through from the injection pump under pressure with the spindle rod out and dislodge any debris.  I realize that the adjusting screw and spindle rod must regulate the supply pressure to the actual valve at the tip, so I counted the turns as I unscrewed the adjusting screw so I could put it back on with the same tension on the spring and spindle rod.

Here are the cap nut, jamb nut and seals.

And here's the adjusting screw, spring and spindle rod.

And here's the body, still in the head but with those parts removed.

I reconnected the injector line and ran the engine some.  I didn't get any fuel shooting out of the hole in the injector body.  Some fuel must have been making it through because some fuel did appear slowly rising from the hold into the cavity where the adjusting screw and spring would be, but it should have really flowed out of there.

I disconnected the injection pump line again and blew out the supply port.  I didn't see any area which could be further disassembled, no filter or other provision to service that port.  I did run some bailing wire down through the hole and was able to fish it down probably two or three inches into the injector body without any resistance or obstruction.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to get that injector body out of the head and unscrew the nut on the bottom, remove the actual nozzle and valve and clean or free them up.  I think that is where the obstruction or frozen parts are.  For now, I reassembled everything as it was and will live with the miss.

I installed the new bearings and seals in the hydraulic control bell cranks, re-oiled all the control linkages that I had freed up and that was about all I had time for this weekend.  Mom and I were a little busy, having to take a load of hand stacked parts and pieces over to Paso Robles Saturday and then Sunday we were asked to bring something small and interesting to Tulare for display at the big International Ag Expo, which is Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday this week.  They give us a booth or two to show the old stuff and promote the big April antique show which is held on those grounds.

We decided to take the HD-15AC and a sheepsfoot and Mom High Ten and potato planter.

Here's a couple of photos all loaded up and ready to go Sunday morning.

Mom drove the truck and I drove the pickup.  Here are some shots along the way.

Next week I should be ready to tackle remounting the hydraulic pump, figure out the plumbing and see if it'll lift the blade and move under its own power.  The hydraulic pump is a bit of a conundrum.  It clearly has a non-factory mounting bracket.  The pump itself may be original or may not.  It clearly has been mounted on the tractor before, the sheaves line up with the crank pulley, the non-factory mount and crossmember it mounts to show marks that it was mounted, the belts are there and match.

The pump has non-factory galvanized plumbing, including a Y on the supply giving two input connections and a Y and pressure diverter on the pressure line, giving two output connections.  One of the supply connections aligns with the non-factory galvanized connection to the hydraulic tank.  One of the pressure line output connections from the pump aligns with the factory main system pressure line connections.  I can't find a second return or pressure connection anywhere else on the tractor.

This tractor has the hydraulic steering similar to an International 806 tractor, where the steering wheel is just connected to a hydraulic motor which is plumbed to the steering rams.  No physical connection between the steering wheel and the axle.  It makes sense to me that the steering system might be supplied by the main hydraulic pump, but with a separate system to override hydraulic pressure to the steering over the rest of the tractor systems.  Most of these steering systems I've seen have their own little pump and reservoir, but clearly that isn't the case on this tractor.

I suspect I'm going to find that the second set of pump connections really are for the steering, but I sure can't see where the plumbing is on the tractor to connect it.  When I remount the pump, I'm going to plug the two extra connections for now.  That'll let me begin to fill the hydraulic tank.  If anything leaks out, it'll lead me to where the extra supply connection might be.  If nothing leaks, I'll try running it with only one supply and one pressure connection.  If everything else works and I have no steering, I'll have to begin tracing those steering lines and figure out that system.

Hopefully I'll get through that next weekend.

If anyone is going to be at the Tulare Farm Show this week, swing by booth G-52, back near Gate 17 and near the Southeast corner of the grounds.  Garlic Mom will be there all three days, along with the HD-15AC and High Ten.  She'd love you to say "Hi!"

Come to the Tulare Antique Farm Show April 20th through 23rd and the HD-15AC, the wheel dozer (assuming I get it running) and lots of other stuff will be there.  You can see them and run them, if you like.  They'll also be at the Santa Margarita show Memorial Day weekend, May 25th through 27th.  That show is one not to miss.  There is more iron there of every type than you can imagine.

Pete.

Edited by Garlic Pete - 13 Feb 2018 at 9:21am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic