This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

clutch stuck on an hd6-b (drive)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onetrackmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: clutch stuck on an hd6-b (drive)
    Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 8:22pm
Gentlemen, new to the forum .  I know this question has been asked a million times here goes 1,000,001.  The first home remedy`,  fill with diesel,  acetone and auto. trans fluid,  pb blaster.  let set then find a big tree pull drive clutch handle and hope 4 the best.

worst case scenario buy anew clutch pack hoping the old one will come out without too much dynamite lol. OK enough clowin around.  what are the tried and true tricks to unstick a drive clutch?  with some patience and a heated shop will i need every tool ,torch, crane and comealong to get this done?  how about corrosives for a short period of time IE  muric acid.  Put in let set (time)?  and drain then add rust inhibiters and find that big tree.  Is it or should I say can it be areal bear to replace a drive clutch?  Any and all info. is greatly appreciated.  Thank you,  Clyde
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 5:26am
Generally the clutch disc takes a set with minimal corrosion to the flywheel or pressure plate and the trans input shaft to disc center hub thus keeping it engaged to the flywheel unable to move away enough to disengage. While corrosion inhibitors are fine for metals they are not so hot on clutch facings, same holds true for all the additives suggested in your post, a little diesel and flush out with acetone then allow to sit where will air/dry out, maybe try to get PB Blaster on the input shaft but that could be troublesome then find that tree. As to removal the only issue would be getting the trans shaft free of the disc center hub, any amount of wrestling will persuade that without much trouble. Used to have to deal with this very issue on old grain trucks, mice nests, rust from sitting in barn, age related wear and still they come right out where would not disengage.

Edited by DMiller - 18 Oct 2017 at 5:27am
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 7:14am
Adding any liquid to the master clutch can make a worse mess. Start the HD6 in gear with the steering clutches tied back. Drive it using the steering clutches. If this does not work adjust the master clutch for less engagement.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 8:12am
Be real careful with the hand clutch. This is real important because the final drives are marginal at best on a 6. You can shell one out before you know it.
onetrackmind View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onetrackmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Dozer Dozer wrote:

Adding any liquid to the master clutch can make a worse mess. Start the HD6 in gear with the steering clutches tied back. Drive it using the steering clutches. If this does not work adjust the master clutch for less engagement.

Dozer,  would you please  help me to understand how starting in gear with the drive clutches tied back will help my situation.  would that help unstick the left side???  The right side works beautifully.  thanks,  1TM
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 8:17am
If the master clutch is frozen making the machine work with the master clutch disengaged or adjusted loose will usually free it up. Usually the steering clutches freeze up. To free up steering clutches see below.

With the motor running, the steering clutches disengaged, and the master clutches disengaged the dozer will not move if the steering clutches are working properly. If both steering clutches are frozen the dozer will move forward. If one steering clutch is frozen that side will turn with all of the motor power directed thru the frozen steering clutch. If you make the dozer work you may be able to unlock the steering clutch
onetrackmind View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onetrackmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 12:23am
Originally posted by Dozer Dozer wrote:

If the master clutch is frozen making the machine work with the master clutch disengaged or adjusted loose will usually free it up. Usually the steering clutches freeze up. To free up steering clutches see below.

With the motor running, the steering clutches disengaged, and the master clutches disengaged the dozer will not move if the steering clutches are working properly. If both steering clutches are frozen the dozer will move forward. If one steering clutch is frozen that side will turn with all of the motor power directed thru the frozen steering clutch. If you make the dozer work you may be able to unlock the steering clutch

Dozer,  OK,  Master clutch is disengaged,  and the steering clutches are disengaged.  The engine is at an idle.  I shift the trans.  into for ward or reverse.  I engage the master clutch and depending on what gear, forward or reverse it rolls straight in either direction.  When i engage the left steering clutch and apply the left brake,  nothing it still goes straight.  When  I engage the right steering clutch and apply the right brake it qworks just like it should.  I recently bought it I'm begining to wonder if the left brake band is not adjusted p[roperly.  What does it sound like to you?  Thank you by the way 4 your response. 1TM
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 8:23am
The master clutch is working properly or you would not be able to start it. The function of the steering clutches is to disengage power to one side. To turn RIGHT disengage the RIGHT steering clutch and apply the RIGHT brake.
It sounds like you can turn right going forward. To turn left use the right steering clutch going backward. Drive it around and make it work that is the bast chance of loosening it up. If you can only turn right going forward then the left steering clutch is bad. Before you try to wash the clutch with solvent be sure the steering clutch compartment is reasonably clean. There is a pipe plug under the tractor. Verify that it is open and not blocked with junk. I tried to wash my steering clutch with diesel. It has a mouse nest and the diesel made the situation worse. I have NEVER been able to free a stuck steering clutch with solvent. My post "Like I need another project" shows problems removing the steering clutch from my HD5
Good Luck
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 11:07am
The brake and steering clutch both have adjustments. If the left steering lever has a lot more free travel than the right that is a good clue it needs adjusting. But the bad is clutch plate rusting together in machines that sit a lot is common. Ether way time to start looking at buying the books that cover your machines serial number.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic