This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis hd6 help pls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kinghunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis hd6 help pls
    Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:07pm
Trying to remove nose cone on my hd 6 got back bolts out cant get front bolts loose. Are these pivot bolts lefty loose? Or righty loose? Ive put a lot of pressure on them. Before I get rough with them I want make sure I’m moving correct way. I removed blade and cylinders and front weight. Need nose off to fix radiator any help appreciated.
Sponsored Links

Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 7:19am

Both are right hand threads. Loosen but do not remove.
You will have to pry the rear of the nose peace as there is a ratchet
that holds the nose piece for installation of the rear bolts
Tilt the nose piece forward to remove the radiator.   
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 7:46am
USE Caution rolling the hard nose, really heavy, best done with another tractor or a sling or a comalong to hold it as being lowered.

Lower front bolts are a PITA to remove, radiator has to come out first to access the HUGE nuts on the backside and tapered washers.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 5:37pm
Several I had never came out even with two large torches heating the bolts. Good luck with them.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 5:57pm
As noted the lower front pivot bolts are not intended for general removal, the radiator needs be removed so one can use heat on the nuts, the bolts are massive, fine thread and catch all sort of trash in the pockets they rest in.

I got the ones out of my donor tractor after having the front end stripped where I could clean the pockets out and torch the nuts away.

Edited by DMiller - 11 Oct 2017 at 6:00pm
kinghunter View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kinghunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 8:46pm
I don’t want to completely remove nose just loosen to roll forward. So do I need to hold nuts on front bolts or no just to loosen allitle?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 6:10am
should pivot on those, are tapered head. Need to spread the hard nose slightly at the back two bolts and it will tip forward.

Edited by DMiller - 12 Oct 2017 at 6:11am
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 6:52am
Heating the head of the pivot bolts does not help because the nut holding them is in a pocket on the inside. You will need quite a lot of torque to loosen them (see picture). I used a short grade 8 bolt machined square for a tight fit on the square hole in the pivot bolt. I used the correct socket for the hex head of the bolt and the hydraulic jack on the ratchet wrench. I twisted the first of my machined bolts off before I got the pivot bolts loose. I removed the pivot bolts and used never seize to make it easier for next time.
donoman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 12:37am
I weld a nut onto the pivot bolt the same size as  the track spanner and a ten foot pipe , something usally gives
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kinghunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:12pm
That’s what I’m doing in morning. Going weld nuts on both and see what happens. Tomorrow’s my birthday and wife asked what I’m doing? I told her fixing the ole allis what else lol.
david weldon View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david weldon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 6:05pm
hi there I removed the two big bolts on the nose cone with a inch and a quarter solid square bar about 12 or 13 inches long welded to the center of the bolt showing 6 or 7 inches each side then give it a few blows inwards with lump hammer followed by hammering it to open each side of center bolt and when it moves put a bar on it these can be very tight fine treaded .
ac_sd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac_sd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 11:23pm
Be careful when tipping hard nose forward, I had one contact injection pump bracket on left side...
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kinghunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 10:29pm
Well here’s update. Got one side loose. Broke wrench on other side. I havnt given up yet. Im halfway there
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 4:59am
If you can see the nut, heat it with a propane torch to about 500 º F, then apply bees wax to the center, and let it wick down into the threads...Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic