This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing seal on hydraulic track adjuster.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 9:14am
Hello again

on my stuck and very hard to get to move hydraulic track adjuster. A question. I have been using brute grease force to get the slack adjusters to work. As said earlier, the left side has no adjustment showing meaning that I don't think they have been adjusted in over 30 years or more and I have full adjustment available. This track appears to have broken loose and I am not getting some piston movement.

On the other side an inch of piston is showing and has been since I started. I pumped for what I thought was a long time before it started to feel like I was building some pressure and then I noticed fresh grease pushing out around the bottom of the piston which I assume is a seal rupture. What I have not checked and i will do, is to take the idler wheel covers off and see if the "slide bar" on both sides is clear and not rusted or built up with 30 or more years of cement hard dirt. The tracks were not cleaned it appears ever. Am I on to something I should have checked at the start of this to be sure the adjusters would in fact slide freely or is this just wishful thinking.

After scouring posts going back a year with key words looking for ideas from past posts it dawned on me that the track adjusters must move on something in order to actually move the idler wheel.

Ideas and opinions welcome. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links

jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 8:21pm
Hello Group

Working on the tracks of my HD16.

Got the left side unfrozen and taking grease. Piston finally broke loose with a bang and piston moved out from flush position to showing about an 1/8". Left side had 1" of the ram exposed so I have a lot of adjustment left. Unfortunately after much pumping grease started to push out around the seal and piston not moving. To replace a seal on the adjuster do you have to split the track or can you do the seal replacement with the track on. Shop manual not here yet so using the forum for advise.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic