This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ever hop on the tractor and go hmmm...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ever hop on the tractor and go hmmm...
    Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:02am
I have a D10-III and D12-II, the throttle action is opposite on each one.
I get on and have to reset my mind, which way to push or pull...

The WD45 needs no choke while cold, the D17 needs full choke.... or is the other way around?

Why do I pull out on the fuel cutoff to start the 190D while other brands I pull out to stop?

Wink
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Sponsored Links

Adam Stratton View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:32am
Been there! I complained about a smiliar situation to a guy once who told me about having 2 big grain trucks that were identical except for the transmission and shift pattern!
BradH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 8:21am

The reason for all this is safe operation.  If you try to start a tractor and pull the fuel shutoff out it won't start.  Then you're awake and alert because you think something is wrong.  You're also a little annoyed about it but that's not the point.  I have two awn mowers, one is a hydro and the other isn't.  I sit on one and try to push a clutch that isn't there and turn a key that has moved somewhere else.  Then I know I'm alert and ready to mow safely.  It's a global safety cooperation between all equipment and vehicle manufacturers for our benefit. 

Later,
Brad
P.S.  My wife says I'm so full of crap my ears are brown, not sure why..
Warning! Blind man with a tractor! Head for the hills!
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 8:31am
I get it now.
My Cub Cadet engine died and the Hydro lever was on the right. The Torro I have now is on the left, I am constantly reaching for the wrong lever....
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 8:31am
I was in the same boat as Adam...2 identical trucks (ferds) and two different trannys. always had to check the visor to see which was which! they were fertilizer spreader trucks.
Dave in il View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 9:57am
My brother in law once told me when he was a young man he and his dad were working on a piece of equipment, his dad went to raise it and pulled the wrong lever, he thought, gee wiz dad it's only two levers. He told me now that I'm that age I know it's just a 50/50 shot!
AGCO My Allis Gleaner Company
dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 10:03am
all our vehicles are standards but one.....about throw myself through the windshield hitting the brake looking for a clutch.

I keep looking for a foot throttle on the d14, after 4 years of running a 5020!!!!

just bought a 7016h, never owned a hydro, I hop on it and think were the heck is the shifter......when I do get it going I just keep thinking this ain't right........LOL
Just cause it's orange don't make it a tractor, there's only one..Allis Chalmers
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 10:20am
Restored a B and made cultivators for it .Plowing neighbors garden and concertration on the row .Reached for lift leaver on left of steering ,same place of a farmall cub .Been forty years but I spent many a day on a cub in my teens.
sparky View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 10:30am
I've recently experienced this myself. My 175 fuel shut off is pulled out and my new to me 185 is pushed in.
It's the color tractor my grandpa had!
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 11:09am
Seems the more years go by the more hmmmm I hear,even on the same tractor,same day,same hour!! Ain't got nuthin to do with age tho.
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 12:28pm
Every time I drive my mom someplace and she demands we take her car, I shift the windshield wiper into drive.
Owner of OKtractor.com PM for an instant response on parts. Open M-F 9-6 Central.

We have new and used parts. 877-378-6543
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 3:11pm
Jump from a 9 speed to a 10 speed in a big truck and see how many times you skip a gear.
BradH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 4:57pm
Just last week I backed my recently painted Cub Cadet through a woven wire fence.  Was trying to reach that pedal on the left to stop myself.  Never did get to it, it was eight miles away at my own house, on my other mower.  Good thing the wire was pretty loose.
Later,
Brad

Warning! Blind man with a tractor! Head for the hills!
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 8:31pm
Lmao Charlie! Done it many times. I tried to start the xt the other night after 6 months of not driving it and of course didn't pull the pump out. Needless to say she wouldn't start until I realized my mistake. Pulled out and she fired up. And then the key doesn't do anything when ya turn it off, gotta push in the fuel to shut her off. Ford 8600 is opposite, pull out to shut it off.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

I was in the same boat as Adam...2 identical trucks (ferds) and two different trannys. always had to check the visor to see which was which! they were fertilizer spreader trucks.

Now we know why Fords are low with youWink. You was going up town a shifting them gearsEmbarrassed,and you spotted this pretty girl a looking. Brain went in neutal Embarrassed,then gear box is clangEvil Smile ,bang Evil Smile,and maybe boomAngry. And we all  know it was the trucks falt,Thumbs Up no driver error atEmbarrassed all.

Yes my wife thinks I am putting her car in the  wrong gear going the wrong way every time I drive it. First automatic with a floor shift I had the privilage of herding around.
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 5:06am
Push pull knob is the opposite on the 160 than the 7000 and 7060.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 9:31am
Originally posted by JimD JimD wrote:

Every time I drive my mom someplace and she demands we take her car, I shift the windshield wiper into drive.
YEP!!  BTDT!!  LOL

Used to push my left foot through the floor all the time.  Haven't done that in a while since everything is an auto now.

But  yeah, which one am I on and where is the switch at?  Somebody stole the key.  Climb back off and turn the gas on........as you age, your brain slows down a bit so as to give you exercise......
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
sandman2234 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 11:01am
My 2 Harley touring bikes controls are different. Even the length of the brake pedal is different. The one I notice the most is the HORN due to all the idiots on the road!
David from jax
A proud member of the Allis Express movement!
               Northeast Florida
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 5:39pm
A problem that's come up for us older guys are our pants we get anymore. Used to be that all there was, was zipper button and belt. Now we have zipper, clip, button, belt, and suspenders. With our shortened memories guess which one we forget. So we often hear XYZ. LOL
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by DanWi DanWi wrote:

Jump from a 9 speed to a 10 speed in a big truck and see how many times you skip a gear.

That is no joke!!

During harvest back when my dad, grandpa, and uncle all farmed together, we all pooled our equipment.  The combine was owned in thirds, the grain cart was grandpa's and typically pulled by his 7060, and ALL of the trucks were from their respective owners.  Dad had two or three, my uncle had three, and grandpa had two when we used them.

All were 80's Kenworth over the road trucks, all had essentially the same grain trailer, but that is where the similarities ended.  Cats, Cummins, Detroits from 300 to 450hp, one had a 7 speed spicer, a couple of 13s, one 15, one 10, all had different wheel bases, some had different rear gears.......  In this truck the tach didn't work, in that one the speedo didn't, another.....you get the idea.

Well you can imagine, being the "trucker" late at night, dawg tired, jumping from one truck to the next, taking sometimes 15 seconds, to remember how to drive which ever truck I was in, and yeah, I kissed many a gear in those days. 
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 10:14pm
I do stuff like this all the time. I have two Honda 4wheelers, one electric shift, one manual. I'm always pushing the starter button on the manual shift trying to shift gears (while it's running). I have two New Holland cab tractors and the forward and reverse levers are on opposite sides. I'm always reaching the wrong way for it. Also, the joy stick that operates the bucket tilt on the loaders works opposite on them. This has caused me to drop some things in the past. I tried to reverse the hoses on one of them once to make them both work the same and the loader wouldn't work at all. I had to change it back. I just have to get my mind right when I use them.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 5:57am
OK...in the silly..boy are we 'programmed'..things we do....

DECADES ago ,after a long week in my 67 stang, I hopped onto the CB450 for a 'breather'.
First thing I did was try to buckle up.....

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 2:18pm
My dad always used the spinner knob on the steering wheel on my CA using his right hand.  I almost always use my left hand (leaves right hand open for the hand clutch or hydraulic lever).  When I asked him about it, he said it was just habit from driving a WD or WD 45 for over 40 years; the hydraulic lever is on the left side of the steering pedestal on those tractors and that's what he was familiar with.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic