This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sediment bowls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sediment bowls
    Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 8:51pm
Why do manufacturers put the rubber gaskets in the sediment bowls if they all leak? I have never bought one that didn't require to replace it with a cork gasket. What's the deal? Why put one in there at all if it's just gonna leak?
Can't fix stupid
Sponsored Links

Mrgoodwrench View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 9:17pm
That's odd my b and c both would not seal with cork but rubber baskets from rural king and no more leaks
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 9:33pm
trick with the rubber gaskets is set them when it's warm outside then they get a grove seal. it it's cold out, they will leak, and them all you can do is replace with a cork one. also check the top of the glass bowl, if it's a wide rim, that's the best, some will have a narrow rim and they usually always leak.
AJ View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 10:04pm
All I know is for what they cost you'd think the seal would be more reliable.
Can't fix stupid
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 4:39am
I agree!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 4:44am
today's junky gas eats up the rubber, stick with cork...Wink
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 7:15am
Half the time, I can't get em to quit leaking no matter what I use. Darrel
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 7:34am
Does away with a lot of problems to do away with the sediment bowl and put in an inline
cut off and an inline filter.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 8:10am
All our tractors came with cork gaskets.
I found that if I gave the bowl a little twist just at it was getting tight it would not leak.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 8:27am
I had to replace the cork gasket in my D-17.  The old gasket was very old and earned its retirement. lol
Made my own gasket from a sheet of gasket cork.  Very easy make.
Place the bowl over the sheet and cut with an razor knife.
Measure to find the exact center.
Measure the width of the old gasket.
Transfer this measurement to the new gasket and cut out the center.
Test fit.
Now you have a new gasket.  Does not take 5 minutes.  Saves a trip to town.  Another project you can brag about to your friends.  
K-Mo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K-Mo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 8:43am
It's been my experience that leaky bowls are the result of a warped base  assembly. Over tightening especially with the cork gaskets will distort the base. At that point rubber gaskets don't have enough give to seal. Set the bowl to the base without the gasket and check to see if it rocks back and forth. If it does, the solution is either replace the assembly or straighten the base.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 9:14am
Kent, I believe you have a good diagnosis there. Next time I have a leaker I will check to see if it is warped. Thanks!
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 9:16am
The problem with the in line filter is that the ones most easily found are made for systems with a fuel pump and they restrict the flow with only gravity feed. Gravity feed in line filters do exist but are hard to find.

Gerald J.
wbecker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 9:38am
I use the cheap see through plastic in-line filters and never had a flow problem with gravity flow system.
Bill B
Allis B, IB, Low B, G, D10, JD M, 8KCAB, C152
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 10:24am
Most of those cheap plastic filters are for lawn mowers. No fuel pump there.
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Allis dave Allis dave wrote:

Most of those cheap plastic filters are for lawn mowers. No fuel pump there.

I don't use those little  button size lawn mower filters,I use a regular filter that's
clear so I can see what is in the filter probably have them on 8 or 10 tractors.The only time
I have flow problems is if its full of rust or water has gotten into the filter and that will make a filter swell up and gas won't go thru it  otherwise the filters work just fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic