This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rotary mower size for WD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rotary mower size for WD
    Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 1:05pm
Im looking at getting a new 3pt king kutter rotary mower for my wide front WD.   I'd like to get your input on what size a WD could handle. I'll be cutting knee to waist high grass and weeds and some small saplings. The 60" is approx 535 pounds and the 48" is approx 430 pounds. Also would I need front weights with either implement. My WD does have a loader. Thanks
Sponsored Links

Pete32 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 1:07pm
I forgot to mention that my land is pretty flat. Thanks
Dans 7080 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dans 7080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 1:22pm
5ft won't cover your wheel tracks. I run a 6ft with a WD45, same conditions without a problem. If you plan on keeping it maintained after the first cutting I'd go 6ft, you might have to use the hand clutch a little bit the first time through. Always had a 6 ft 3pt on a nf 45 no weights or loader, front end always stayed down.
When someone tells you Nothings Impossible, Tell them to slam a revolving door
Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 1:52pm
Get one with a slip clutch or a shear bolt smaller than the bolt that is in the WD pto shaft. If you get a slip clutch one, DON'T let it rust tight.

Rotary mower and snowblowers cause most of the pto damage on those old tractors.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 1:56pm
I used to run a 7 foot and it played with it chopping stalks.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 4:46pm
I use a 6 ft finish mower in knee high grass with a WD 45. the first pass I need to cut alittle high because theres no place to discharge. after that I just drop on the ground and mow. No weights and the loader is removed just the mount brackets. lifts easy no front lightness and it covers the wheeel tracks. the same mower on the CA the front gets so light its scarry to steer on any kind of a slope. Ive pulled an 8' woods without any problems. i dont think I could lift one though. My 7' IH snowblower is heavy enought that you cant keep the front on the ground. it wieghs around 1200 lbs. My mower wieghs just about 800 lbs. I wouldnt go any heavier than that without adding front wieght.
Pete32 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 5:01pm
Thanks everyone. I'll check into a six footer.
ctbowles 58 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctbowles 58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 5:25pm
it will handle a 6ft good .

EPALLIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPALLIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 8:34pm
I run a 6ft with my king cutter on the WD. I do have factory front wheel weights. I also need to use the hand clutch now and then but not often. Seems to handle most weeds and grass fine to me. I don't mow volunteer trees down though. Hope that helps.
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 9:02pm
Woods made a pretty good two blade mower.  We sold quite a few of them.  I wish I could remember the model number of it.  Was a good finish mower.  Also, we put a mulcher screen on them and used them to mulch leaves.  Worked GREAT!  
In fact, we pulled them with a CA.  
Good Luck!
Bill Long
littlemarv View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 9:02pm
Here is a 5 foot trailer type King Kutter. It didn't even make the WD grunt.

You don't go and check the food plot often enough, it sure gets away from you.....

Edited by littlemarv - 22 Feb 2017 at 9:03pm
The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
EPALLIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPALLIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 10:12pm
Bill: I also have a Woods 2 blade finishing mower. Great mower. It is Model #:RM-306. Was that the one you were thinking of? Thanks.
Auntwayne View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auntwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 10:34pm
As wide as the tractor tires out to out .
Dad always said," If you have one boy, you have a man. If you have two boys, you have two boys". "ALLIS EXPRESS"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic