This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Got another B with mower

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got another B with mower
    Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 10:17am
Dragged another B home.  Runs great, mows great!  The mower deck looks really nice!  Came with new blades, new belt, all the correct Woods guards, manuals for everything, and tune up parts.  A few things need to be addressed.  It's missing the oiler line for the governor and the fuel is plumbed weird.  Even the rear wheels are tight.  I've never seen these front wheels before.  Nice.  Came out of Minnesota.  Anybody familiar with this business?
Best,
Steve

1940 B "Lucy"
1941 B w/ Woods L59 "Flavia"
1942 B w/ finish mower "Dick"
1941 C w/ 3-point "Maggie"
1947 C SFW w/ L306 "Trixie"
1972 314H
Sponsored Links

Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 10:36am
Serial number is B52588, which is a 1940.  There is no number stamped into the flange on the engine.  Any thoughts to why?  Is this a run of the mill B, or do I have something a little rarer here?  Thanks.
Steve
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 10:44am
With no number stamped on to the engine, it is usually an indication that the engine (or block itself) was changed at some point in its life.  Just a run of the mill B in my opinion, nothing special about it.  Decent looking tractor though.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
AJ View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 10:57am
Some of the earlier serial number were stamped on the top upper side of the block. Just in front of the gas tank support and just below where the head meets the block. They can be a little hard to see.
Can't fix stupid
Jonny B 1938 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny B 1938 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 11:28am
Nice score!
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 11:37am
As AJ said the early BE engines are stamped on the top rear of the block and the only way to see the number is to split the tractor.  Also that oil line is correct for that early of a serial number. Those front wheels are also used on early tractors. A nice unmutilated early B 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 12:40pm
NICE LOOKING B.  You were lucky to get a pre war B.  There were some things on them - the front wheels, the engine serial number - that were quite different from the Post War units.
Wonderful to get the specifications on the manifold.  Usually - even when we sold them - that had disappeared.  The dealer sticker was probably attached when sold used.  That AC LOGO was not around when the tractor was new.  Also, the magneto with the specifications on it it a real find.   Even the mower looks good.  The B sticker was added when re painted.  B stickers were not on the pre war B's.  In fact did not appear till somewhere in the 50's  The tires - to me - appear to be auto tires.  Lot of people added them cause they were cheaper even when we sold them and if working on grass did not leave as much of an imprint.  
Take good care of my favorite.
Good Luck!
Bill Long

ps:  Sorry!  Got a little windy but a real nice looking B for it's age.  
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Hubnut Hubnut wrote:

Serial number is B52588, which is a 1940.  There is no number stamped into the flange on the engine.  Any thoughts to why?  Is this a run of the mill B, or do I have something a little rarer here?  Thanks.
Steve

B52588 is a 41, B49720 was the last 1940 but those front wheels are likely from a 39. An engine for 39 would be stamped at the top cent rear of block right above the bell housing flange. It looks like the toolbox is from an early one because the back end looks cut off to make room for the battery.
 I would guess somebody put 2 together to get this one so they could have electric start.
 Here is a picture of where the engine number is for the BE engines.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 27 Aug 2016 at 1:19pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Jonny B 1938 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny B 1938 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 2:14pm
That's where I have a number stamp, I also have one on the trans. My number 19628.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 4:00pm
Thanks everyone for the help with this thing.  It really runs well.  I just started my punch list of things to do.  It's in such nice shape I may take it apart and paint her up nicely (All PO this time).  Charlie, Bill, the tool box is not molested and is a perfect specimen.  It is gapped between the battery because the battery box is not correct.  Would 1941 tractors be available with electric start?  The block has the proper taps for the generator bracket.  Another thing, when was this front wheel type typically used?  During what years.  I will pull the tank tomorrow and try to get the engine serial number.  I love her!
Steve
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 4:27pm
So does she have a name yet?
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 4:29pm
Also...a little off topic, but I'm still at a loss for what you are supposed to use to tighten those rear wheel nuts in the center. Sockets don't fit, so what do you do?
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 4:39pm
Jon B
I thought your B Tractor Number on the Tranny was B9628
Steve
Nice B Probably a composite of several different Bs to make one. The front wheels with the hubs riveted to the centers were used on new Bs for most of the 38/39 models
The engine SN numbers Were Stamped into the top back of the block up until early 1940. Very early short arm, hand brake Cs with the CE engine were stamped into the back of the block also.
All in all a ordinary combination of different year B parts to make a not so rare one of a kind B. It is absolutely amazing how complete Bs can be built from pieces from every year Bs were built.
Remember the "Build a B" project at the Haymaker AC museum where forum members like myself donated and gathered B parts from all years along with some C parts and a gang of guys lead by Richard Akin built a B in one day assembling all the different parts. Talk about a Frankin B. This one was one for the book. I understand it was retired from the museum collection and now lives with Richard Akin who donated the complete engine.
We got to do this Build a B thing again sometime. This time we need to put in writing what the future of the built B will be after the fun is over. I would like to see a Year/Model like a War B on Steel come together from donated parts to go into a Museum

Edited by Ken in Texas - 27 Aug 2016 at 4:46pm
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 4:49pm
Greenville MI is Greenville Michigan. that is North East of Grand Rapids Michigan.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 4:52pm
Creston
A forum member makes and sells a BIG wrench for those odd nuts or you can cut them off and buy new hex nuts from Fastenal
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by CrestonM CrestonM wrote:

So does she have a name yet?

Creston,
My wife names the tractors.  She's leaning toward Minnie.  We are not the most creative people.  Minnie for Minnesota Wink 
Steve
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by Ken in Texas Ken in Texas wrote:

Jon B
I thought your B Tractor Number on the Tranny was B9628
Steve
Nice B Probably a composite of several different Bs to make one. The front wheels with the hubs riveted to the centers were used on new Bs for most of the 38/39 models
The engine SN numbers Were Stamped into the top back of the block up until early 1940. Very early short arm, hand brake Cs with the CE engine were stamped into the back of the block also.
All in all a ordinary combination of different year B parts to make a not so rare one of a kind B. It is absolutely amazing how complete Bs can be built from pieces from every year Bs were built.
Remember the "Build a B" project at the Haymaker AC museum where forum members like myself donated and gathered B parts from all years along with some C parts and a gang of guys lead by Richard Akin built a B in one day assembling all the different parts. Talk about a Frankin B. This one was one for the book. I understand it was retired from the museum collection and now lives with Richard Akin who donated the complete engine.
We got to do this Build a B thing again sometime. This time we need to put in writing what the future of the built B will be after the fun is over. I would like to see a Year/Model like a War B on Steel come together from donated parts to go into a Museum

Thanks Kenny.  I guess based on your comments and Charlie's, you guys think I have a Franken B.  I was sure it wasn't a cobbled together tractor because there are markings on it that indicate it was owned by a municipality.  I think this is why it's in such good shape.  We'll never know I guess.
Best,
Steve
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 7:04pm
Steve
I ran that SN again in Terry Deans Allis Chalmers Data Book What you have is a 41 Tranny.
What is the last number of the casting number on the mag side of the block? Looks like a 12 in the picture. That would mean the block was cast in 40. It is not impossible to have a unmolested 41 B with a 40 cast block early in a 1941 production.
I presume it has foot brakes. The front wheels in 40 and up were the 5 bolt automotive type with separate hubs.
The arched front axle was used every year the B was built along with adjustables like on Haney.
Along with foot brakes came the tall seat frame. I can't tell for sure but I think you have the early hand brake low seat frame by the look of the rock shaft pivot brackets.
There seems to be something odd about the seat back supports. Can you post a better picture of that area?

Edited by Ken in Texas - 27 Aug 2016 at 7:27pm
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 7:46pm
There are sockets built to fit 8 sided nuts. I have one, but not that size.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 7:50pm
Steve you are getting herd of them. Nice looking tractor for sure pretty soon you will not need a mower though because your lawn will be all tractors.   Not that I am complaining I wish I had then here. Lol
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 7:56pm

Creston
A forum member makes and sells a BIG wrench for those odd nuts or you can cut them off and buy new hex nuts from Fastenal
Thanks! I need to post a couple pics of mine. I think they were cobbled up by the PO, so I need to double check before I get a wrench. 
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Dan73 Dan73 wrote:

Steve you are getting herd of them. Nice looking tractor for sure pretty soon you will not need a mower though because your lawn will be all tractors.   Not that I am complaining I wish I had then here. Lol

Dan,
You are so right my friend!  I plan to just line them up and kill the grass on my postage stamp.  I like getting them with some kind of tool that is useful--hence the mower deck.  Thanks for the encouraging comments. 
Steve
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 8:19pm

Steve
I ran that SN again in Terry Deans Allis Chalmers Data Book What you have is a 41 Tranny.
What is the last number of the casting number on the mag side of the block? Looks like a 12 in the picture. That would mean the block was cast in 40. It is not impossible to have a unmolested 41 B with a 40 cast block early in a 1941 production.
I presume it has foot brakes. The front wheels in 40 and up were the 5 bolt automotive type with separate hubs.
The arched front axle was used every year the B was built along with adjustables like on Haney.
Along with foot brakes came the tall seat frame. I can't tell for sure but I think you have the early hand brake low seat frame by the look of the rock shaft pivot brackets.
There seems to be something odd about the seat back supports. Can you post a better picture of that area?

Kenny,
Thank you!  I thought that a 40 engine and 41 tranny were possible.  I'll get the engine number tomorrow and the seat pics tomorrow too.  The seat looks cobbled together to me, but it is very low.  I'm 6'5" and it puts me really close to the pedals! 
Thanks for helping me figure out this ole gal.
Steve
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 8:47pm
Steve,
 Congrats on the nice looking B. Minne will fit her just right too!:) They are a good tractor to have around and we know its in good hands now!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Tractors View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Tractors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 1:56am
I'm no expert on B's, but the only thing I see that I don't like, at least for a working tractor, is the inline fuel filter.

Robert
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 6:49am
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Steve,
 Congrats on the nice looking B. Minne will fit her just right too!:) They are a good tractor to have around and we know its in good hands now!
Regards,
 Chris

Thanks Chris.  You ever get that CA for your boy?
Steve
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
NICKMI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NICKMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 10:33am
Larry hubbards was in my hometown nice find looks like it has the early b pressed steel wheels and the early b tractors did not have a line going to the gov I hope you enjoy the tractor

Edited by NICKMI - 28 Aug 2016 at 2:35pm
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Dick L Dick L wrote:

Greenville MI is Greenville Michigan. that is North East of Grand Rapids Michigan.

Sorry guys.  You can tell that I'm a southern boy (or real dumb).  MN minnesota, MI michigan.  Minnie may need a new name. 

Here are a few more pics of the interesting modifications.  I like the ladder.  The man I bought from said it was getting harder to get on and off the old girl.  Hand cranked her this morning on the first try.   I like the kooky sediment bowl setup.

Kenny, do these seat pics help you?  I haven't gotten to the tank yet--so no engine number. 

1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 3:06pm
If it a really early motor, it would not have the threaded boss for the generator? alternator bracket.  Some have drilled two holes in the block wall and threaded the holes to hold an alternator.. If there is no cast boss on the block around the hole, then they were drilled and tapped later.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 4:21pm
I pulled the tank and found the engine serial number: BE53457G.  So, the engine and tranny are matched at 1941 based on the Clemson site (http://wsmth.people.clemson.edu/SNFind/esn_tsn.htm).  Obviously the front wheels are not period correct.  Thanks for all the help.
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic