This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Photo's of Checkmate LEGEND at Bowling Green

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Photo's of Checkmate LEGEND at Bowling Green
    Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 4:01pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzsRuX7Vlr4

Checkmate was Built in 1976 by my Father. "RIP 2009"

I restored Checkmate the fall of 2015 and spring 2016 for the 50th anniversary of the National Tractor Pulls at Bowling Green Ohio, and as a tribute to my Father.
I joined the group of pullers called the "NTPL" LEGENDs and have made many good friends.

HOPE YOU ENJOY MY PHOTOS !!! Just to make things official for this site I requested a D17 Tow Tractor.

Edited by Macon Rounds - 26 Aug 2016 at 8:30pm
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
Sponsored Links

Macon Rounds View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 4:28pm

[IMG]

Edited by Macon Rounds - 26 Aug 2016 at 6:07pm
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 5:02pm
2016 Bowling Green Legend Drivers

Edited by Macon Rounds - 26 Aug 2016 at 5:22pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 5:07pm
Photo above is Legend Drivers at Bowling Green 2016.

Checkmate_in_Anex_Tripod.jpg

Trophys.jpg

Checkmate_in_Anex_with_Trophies.jpg

Edited by Macon Rounds - 26 Aug 2016 at 5:39pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 5:27pm
Just to make things official for this site I requested a D17 Tow !!!

Checkmate_and_D17_Tow.jpg

Edited by Macon Rounds - 26 Aug 2016 at 5:38pm
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 5:46pm
[TUBE]vzsRuX7Vlr4[/TUBE]
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 5:48pm
Thanks Dave

This is photo of Checkmate BEFORE we started restoration. The main changes we made were to add the rollbar and a seat suitable for a safety belt and security of the driver. Fenders were added after our first NTPL safety inspection. Grrrr !!! 30 hours of modifications time which included cutting the roll bar to narrow it and widening the roll bar supports on the axles. We kept the fender low and tight so as not to change the original appearance. The hitch was also modified for safety purpose.
The lettering on the black paint is all original but the lettering on the frame rails were repainted by the "original PAINTER" and as you can see the style is spot on to the original. I believe my old Pap would be HAPPY !!!
Even though it looks like original I have about 750 hours of time into this restoration, every nut and bolt has been cleaned inspected and or replaced. Every switch and piece of wire has been replaced and secured for function and appearance. Painting was a meticulous job in an effort to save the original lettering were we could.       

Edited by Macon Rounds - 26 Aug 2016 at 6:58pm
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 10:02pm
That is Awesome!!!! I am sure your dad would be proud
Education doesn't make you smart, it makes you educated.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 11:03pm
Thanks John

Paying tribute to my Dad was my main goal along with having my hometown Folks re-live some long lost memories. One young man said he remembers Checkmate at 3 years old and immediately went home and started drawing/scratching out pictures of it and posting on his wall. I am a bit older but I remember doing the same thing as my Dad was building it.    
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 11:05pm
Her are some additional LEGEND tractors
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 7:49am
I wish I'd been paying attention to who was there. I just didn't make the connection. I was there with the two green smokers for Maryland. You can see me in the line up with the "Smoke Grinder" Tank engine modified at the front. I'm  the little guy standing in front of "Deere Power 1".  
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 4:56pm
Sorry I missed you Paul.
It's challenging to keep up with all the names and places when there are so many people around.
Will catch up with you next time.   
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 7:50am
that is really a treat to see those legends brought back. 
 how the heck do you put a v8 in a 2 cyl chassis?
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 8:01am
The story there is: the fellow was and old time racer that got tired of racing. He removed the G crank and cut the race car  rear down to go in it's place. With adding a couple of discs to the JD clutch it holds up. What was really neat was the homemade 6x2 manifold feeding the 392 Hemi.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic