This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sand Blasting (Dont laugh !)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WDDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sand Blasting (Dont laugh !)
    Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 5:23pm

Can any of you seasoned sand blasters tell me how to keep my media from clogging in the bottom of my blaster.
   I spent most of my time banging or shaking the blaster or having the wife shake while I blasted
I am using fine media and have two dryers at the tank they are cheap ones so I thought two would be better.
   As you can see by the pictures I resorted to vise gripping a piece of metal to the wood splitter and to the blaster to vibrate to keep the stuff moving.
   Surely one of you guys have a better way??
Sponsored Links

Austin(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Austin(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 5:35pm
We usually only had that problem if the sand was either wet or the tank was low on sand.
"Better By Design"
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 6:23pm

Hey Dave,,,you might check the outlet valve at the btm of the tank,,,that should be a "ball" valve or "plug" valve and NOT a gate valve as the sand especially the finer sand tends to work it;s way behind the gate and plug off the flow of sand. As the other guys said,,,Wet sand will do it every time. What kind of pressure are you runnin on the pot?
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 6:29pm
I have one like it but only used it a few times. As I remember, which could be disputed, I had to restrict the flow of sand out the bottom. I couldn't have the valve wide open.  Air volume was my main problem so I bought a cup sand blast gun.  Course stone grit is what I use in the tool shop and I use a pail of grit with a cheap HF vacuum tube deal on big stuff.  The fine sand gives sand flow problems in the tool shop blast cabinet as well. Glass beads work the blast in the cabinet.
I bought course washed sand at a gravel pit and had it stored in the warehouse that worked well after it dried a year.  When I was running 24/6 one icy night it got used in the parking lot and drive.     
JOHN N/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOHN N/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 7:29pm
If it humid out like it is here today you will have problems
D-15IIG65,D-17IVG67,D-17D58,620
Billoh View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 8:01pm
I had that problem,I coiled up air hose in a tube of cold water,air gets too hot & creates mosture.
AJ View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 8:38pm
Get you one of the gravity feed ones. That what I blast with. Used it so much I had to replace the gun. Lol.
Can't fix stupid
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 8:42pm
When I bought mine it drove me nuts the first day. I had to learn where to set the valve on the bottom of the tank. Once I learned that it still gave trouble. I finally found a small piece of styrofoam peanut in the hose. I sweep a big spot clean on my shop floor and spread out the sand to help dry it. I keep a box fan a ways back and let it run a few days. I never had enough air to be very efficient  I ran some fine Black beauty through it once and had my best luck with it. 
On my blast cabinet I use Black beauty and have good luck. I sift it frequently and heat it with a heat gun if moisture becomes a problem.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 5:28am

Dave,,there is a "orifice nozzle" in the hose that has to be sized to your available CFM. If it is too big for the volume and pressure of air you got available,,,the compressor will not build enough pressure in the pot to keep the sand flowin,,,,The available air, the flow valve at tank, and the nozzle at the hose all GOT to be sized or the system will continue to give you fits,,, These pressure pot type of blasters are notorious for using huge amounts of air,,,,,!!!!
    Like AJ says,,,the gravity flow blasters are lots more efficient,,,but since you are blastin those big wheels,,it would take a really big cabinet,,,,,,WinkWink
alleyyooper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alleyyooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 5:39am
I have one just like yours only gray in color. Yes indeed you need a ball valve in the bottom of the tank to help in regulating the amount of sand. I found I also needed a AIR DRYER in the air supply hose and it worked best at 11CFM at 40 psi. Keep in mind you will be getting more ball valves unless you can run it wide open as the sand will eat away the ball till it does not work.

Al

Edited by alleyyooper - 24 Jul 2016 at 5:39am
WDDave View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WDDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 7:45am
   dessertjoe, my press at the tank is 110psi, compressor is on the low end at 10.5 scfm @90psi, 6.5HP. I blast for a bit then let it catch up.
   I started out with Black beauty 12/40 which I think is just too big for this out fit, then got some Black diamond 30/60 (fine) my tip started out at 1/8" but I used a diamond burr in a dremmel tool now its about .1800" in dia maybe too big now.
   You are correct alleyyooper the cheap driers I have aren't getting all the moisture I now see a little rust on the inside of the cap on the tank so Im getting some moisture in there.
   Several of you mentioned adjusting the valve at the bottom of the tank which is one thing I didn't do I just left it wide open ,I will try that today and it is at least a ball valve.
I want take all fittings and valves off of this thing anyway and re-do the pipe thd tape who ever they had taping up these fittings somewhere in china I think they had stock in the pipe tape company, their may be some tape balled up in there restricting the flow.
   Thanks for all of your input I will try your suggestions with what I have and what I don't will be on the wish list.    
WD ,wide front, with loader
AJ View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 8:54am
I just blast my out on the ground do have a big enough cabinet to put a tractor in. I use fine grade coal sl*g.

Edited by AJ - 24 Jul 2016 at 8:55am
Can't fix stupid
WDDave View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WDDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 9:11am
AJ,
   No I don't not have a large cabinet, In the one pic you can see part of my makeshift "blast box" I used metal roofing for the sides with a tarp on bottom and part of the top so I could re-use the blast media.
7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 9:23am
I had the same problem. I thought I would save some money and shoveled a bunch of dry sand out of the creek and spread it all out in my garage to dry, sifted it through a window screen into a 55 gallon barrel and tried blasting with the same unit as you, with 2 water separators. After spending 20 minutes on and not even completing one side of a fender I decided I was going to hire it done. Every time I drag that sandblaster out I give up and have a local guy do it. I wish I knew if it was just those cheap blasters or what, because I know my sand was dry and the air was dry, but I had to shake with one hand and blast with the other.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 9:41am

Hey Dave,,,,we'll get this figured out,,just have to get it all adjusted right. After goin back and re-readin the thread,,,I was remiss in NOT sayin the valve at btm of tank has to be adjusted,,from CLOSED position and gradually move to open as you observe how well the media is cleaning the work piece,,,Keep in mind,,these valves WILL wash out eventually,!!  You should have somebody holdin  the hose onto the wheel,,while you slowly open the btm valve,watchin how the sandblastin is going. This "adjusting" of the btm valve is really an ongoin thing as there are some varibles that affect the flow rate,,like air pressure, humidity, amt of sand in pot, that's why you see commercial blasters always have a "tank man"  pretty much standin by the tank and sometimes all they do is quick open the valve all the way for just a second and then re-set to the position that generally works best
  Wink,,I'm not sure what .1800 is but most likely,,dependin how much you enlarged the opening,,,you'll have to get you another nozzle as the orifice size is one of the biggest factors in the whole system workin as it should. In this process,,,smaller is usually better,,,believe it or else,,,,Wink
WDDave View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WDDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 2:38pm
   Misery loves company, LOL!!
Ok, you guys nailed it, it worked a lot better today I got more done in 1/2 hr today than I did all day yesterday.
   I had the same set up except didn't use the wood splitter or the wife to shake the blaster.
   I put a 1/8" tip back in then cracked open the bottom valve just till I had media coming out of the gun.
And just as desertjoe just said as the level of media in the blaster got below about 1/2 full I had to re-adjust the bottom valve.
   Just as I was finishing up I could tell I was getting moisture because it didn't want to work at all.
Thanks again guys for your help.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 3:14pm
I gave up on sand! the slightest moisture will give you fits. Glass beads or black beauty will make life a lot easier, although you will spend more for it. I don't know about you guys, but at the end of the day I would rather spend a bit more than to fuss with the dang blaster constantly and have little to show for my efforts
Also, respirator! you should be using one, whatever the media, but sand is more dangerous than glass beads or black beauty

my humble opinion
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 3:40pm

Well,,I'm glad it's workin out for you,,,just a little fine tuning and you'll have it blastin the gunk away pretty good,,,ClapClap
    Lou,,,you are exactly right and I plumb forgot to warn him,,,you HAVE to wear a good quality respirator when using regular sand blasting sand as it contains silica which is "SKULL & CROSSBONES" dangerous to your respiratory system,,,,!!!!!Angry
  Having said that,,,I still use sand blasting sand myself,,,,,cause I don't like payin what the black beauty costs plus the freight costs,,,,,but I do use my #1 grade half mask respirator  that I use when painting any of the paints that got isocyanates, which are also " Skull & Crossbones" dangerous,,,,!!!
 Glad you got er goin,,,,Clap
Rod in MN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod in MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 3:46pm
Hi, WDDave, On your air line the air dryers should be at least 40 feet from the compressor to give the air time to cool off. I was talking with paint shop that mixes my paint.  I was have problems they asked were my dryer was and it was a foot from the compressor they said could be my problem so I mover it about 50 feet away and it was good

Drain the tank once a week helps and the cold water works to

Rod in MN
alleyyooper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alleyyooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 4:30am
IK just buy my silica sand at Lowe's and Home Depot which ever place is the cheapest at th3e time.
I also set up shop vac to gather a lot as it leaves the piece being blasted.

I wear a respirator and a Hood, Tried with just safety goggles and respirator, didn't care so much for the face being blasted by back blast and didn't like all the media settling in my hair either.

Al
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 7:49am
I have a blaster like that and been using it for years - maztter of fact wore out nozzle supply hose.

Joe pretty covered all the bases.  Condensation is myt biggest PITA.  After a good workout my 10 cfm at 90 compressor produces a lot of hot air, which in turn takes the moisture right thru the separator and to the valve at the bottom of the tank.

I stumbled into an extra 60 gallon compressor tank and run the air from the main tank to the bottom of the extra and then out the top thru the separator and to the blaster.

Lou gave a good heads up on using sand.  I will never use it just cause i read about that irreversible silic (can't remember the spelling) that gets in your lungs and it goes downhill from there.

Also i have gotten black beauty that had trash in it right from the bag.  That brought everything to a screeching halt, so anything that goes in the tank gets screened.

Most times if the valve at the bottom of the tank shows some sign of getting wet and clogging, I give the valve a quick snap to full open and back to closed and start over.
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 6:36am
My blaster like that one gave me fits for quite a while...

I finally emptied it completely (completely!!) and found my little nephews had dropped a couple small pieces of gravel into the tank... Not big enough to completely plug it, but enough to make the media hang up and not flow consistently.

Gave up on sand a long time ago, Black Beauty is my preference now.

Just no gravel.... Kids said they were helping to fill the blaster... Um, thanks..... LOL
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
From listening comes wisdom and from speaking comes repentance.
Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2016 at 6:37pm
I have one of those too. I could never get mine to run Black Beauty without shaking it. I just buy silica sand from Menards and it works very well. It did come with a water separator on it and I've found that it works best to keep the drain cracked. Running it this way I can run a full load through it non stop. I'm running a pair of 3hp 60 gal farm store special compressors. 
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic