This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD15G TO THE ALLIS CHALMERS COLLECTION

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD15G TO THE ALLIS CHALMERS COLLECTION
    Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 11:18pm
Ok, We took a day off of our day job to rescue this HD15 loader for our collection. We're still working on the Grapple Facelift and I'll get some posts up soon.
  We've known of this tractor for over 20 years and have tried to make a deal for the last 10 years. The owner was in failing health when we made a deal last November. It was last run 5 years ago. I made a trip to start it but it was not cooperative, I suspect a blower problem similar to the HD19 that we posted earlier. We opted to maybe hire someone local to bring a tractor and load it for us. In the end we just took our own dozer.
   This is where it sat when we started.

photo P7070070_zpscu4wqxvu.jpg
So one of the biggest challenges was getting the lowbed set up. That actually went well and it's the video here.

http://vid966.photobucket.com/albums/ae147/doowder1/HD15%20NOYO/Cozad%20at%20Noyo_zps9zcrbvff.mp4

So the reason we took this D5 instead of the 11B was because it was smaller and more hauler friendly. photo P7070081_zpshmgtpxxm.jpg
So we didn't know what to expect when we started pushing. photo P7070084_zpsai5yseie.jpg
It went well because it moved. Had to move it past a tree to push it sideways to get it going the right direction photo P7070089_zpsfp1g9gvx.jpg
Got it going the right direction pretty easy. photo P7070094_zps3ctou8hy.jpg
It's a brute!!!
 photo P7070095_zpseungsydi.jpg
It looked like we were on a roll so we had to set up some blocks to run up on the lowbed. photo P7070100_zpsvmhm31za.jpg
Grandson Trenton was on his first tractor recovery event and set up blocks on the lowbed. photo P7070115_zpsauk7fjbj.jpg
Ok, so that's how we set it up so far. Here's a 6 min video of loading it. I spliced it together but didn't edit any of it, but you get the idea.

http://vid966.photobucket.com/albums/ae147/doowder1/HD15%20NOYO/HD15%20LOADING%20NOYO_zpsjiqtrajd.mp4

So once it was loaded Trenton secured wide load flags. photo P7070163_zpslwct4srj.jpg
There was a large homemade bucket that has slots for the log forks to hook in. John used the septic tank boom truck to load it. Don't know that we'll use it but it came with the tractor. We had the boom truck for extra loading power but didn't need it. photo P7070160_zpsxvudkv5e.jpg
Sat on the truck for several days before we got around to unloading it. photo P7080165_zpscwhosfg0.jpg
There's more, but I'll have to do it tomorrow.
Sponsored Links

JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 12:41am
Did you have to make another trip back to get the Cat?

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 9:57am
John, yes David went back with a different lowbed trailer to pickup the Cat the same day.
 FYI that's the only Caterpillar dozer we own (nice tractor too). But we did unload it with a "mans tractor"

http://vid966.photobucket.com/albums/ae147/doowder1/HD15%20NOYO/HD%2015G%20UNLOAD_zpsdv1hz4qv.mp4

So we also found this little guy down in back that needed to be moved out of the way. Truth be known we're getting them closer to the AC museum building in the back round, maybe it will get a roof this winter.

http://vid966.photobucket.com/albums/ae147/doowder1/HD15%20NOYO/HD5%20RELOCATION_zpsq3xt3ann.mp4

photo P7200202_zpshoagqqty.jpg
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 11:59am
What a tank!  Weight wise what series Allis would it equate to as a dozer instead of loader & how much weight?  About what year?
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 12:37pm
HD15 ship weight is 27,500 and has 6-71 detroit.  guessing around 37k with loader parts? produced '50-'55
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 1:33pm
Might be time to go pick up the HD41!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 11:33pm
Dave, This is he same as the HD15 dozer. Cals right about the shipping weight. If you wanted a dozer and maybe a winch, then your dealer put all that on, and they had different manufacturers to draw from for blades, canopys, winches, etc. If you want a loader configuration then it would come from the factory with the "TRACTOMOTIVE LOADER'' setup. AC later bought out the tractomotive line from the owner, Vandobus, (probably didn't spell that right). So this HD15 dozer tractor with Carco blade,front unit,A frame, winch, canopy, guards, etc. weighed 40,000 lbs. (I know the exact weight is posted in the past posts somewhere). photo spring steam fest lumpkin fire 044_zpshkvp9izs.jpg
So we had allowed as much as 48,000 for this tractor to weigh based on our research and (self inflicted expertise LOL). But to our surprise it weighed in at 53,000 lbs. It weighed as much as the HD19 in an earlier post. We weighed it on our truck scales when we brought it in and were totally shocked!!!  We did not get an over weight permit because we knew it didn't weigh that much. (If we had to pay that fine it would have put us back at least 3 or 4 tractor buys LOL) The tractomotive setup is very heavy,the forks are extra, the winch, the canopy, there's probably at least 2 tons of dirt on the swing frames still. The swing frames have been welded on with 1'' steel fish plates, inside and out (1000 lbs?)

John, Haven't heard from the HD41 guy (Really don't want to go there, but yes would love to have it in the yard)
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 9:01am
I had no idea that the early loader/dozer attachments were not essentially delivered with the tractors but had to be ordered from suppliers.  As to the weight WOW!  That is a mass of iron and 1" plate at last figure was 40+# a square foot.  Still cool to watch you all fix them up to functional and running.  I can only dream of doing so here.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 9:12pm
Just Awesome! Thanks for posting the recovery and info about the weights of these machines!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 4:02am
Re the HD 41

Little brother HD 31 mentioned here.  This might be have come up before  but helps explain why there seems to be a certain reluctance on that project

http://www.vannattabros.com/dozer.html
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 5:44pm
Massive machines, meant for large excavations and pits not just run of the mill users.
Lee Bradley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee Bradley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 12:44am
Loaders are heavy.  I ran a 12G for a while building logging roads and moved it from job to job.  The owner said if I got caught at a weigh station just leave the keys. That thing weighted more than the gross tonnage of the lowboy (68,000). Those loaders don't look that heavy because they're so compact.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 9:30am
Those 5H's are sweet tractors.Don't know if they live as long as the old 6C's but comfort and ease of operation is something else!It's a pleasure to watch the guy who owns the one I played in cut a waterway with it.
Acdiesel View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 7:46pm
great work and great pictures, i like your passion.

dan
D19 diesel,D17 diesel SER.3 D14 NF,D14 WF, D15 SER.II wf
D15 SER.2 DIESEL,D15 ser.II nf
D12 SER.I, D10 Ser.II
2-720'S

Gmc,caterpillar
I'm a pharmacist (farm assist) with a PHD (post hole digger)
R.KYLE View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.KYLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 8:20pm
MEL WHATS ON THE TRACTOR FOR A WINCH?
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 10:27pm
Roy, It's a Carco model G. It was the standard size for HD15s and 16s. The HD9G next to it has a model F standard for HD9s and 11s.
R.KYLE View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.KYLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 9:05pm
MEL I HAVE A CARGO J120 WOULD IT FIT AN HD15 OR 16?
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 10:47pm
Roy, I think it will fit a 15 or 16, but it's actually designed for 19, 20 and 21s or a D8 size tractors.
Josh H View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 11:25pm
Like to see the youth involved!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic