This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

H3 dozer update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 8:04pm
Sponsored Links

OldSchoolRecovery View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 8:05pm
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 8:05pm
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 8:06pm
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 8:10pm
Contraption I built to move two stuck pistons.  Well the bar stock wasnt strong enough, but did put a little tension on the slugs.  Couple raps with a hammer moved both pistons about a half an inch down.  

I locked the sleeves down with bolts and washers.  But the starter wont move them yet, so I am soaking them some 50/50 acetone/transmission fluid.

cb1

Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 12:24am
You are well on your way. You do have the advantage of the pistons being high up in the sleeves...will be easy to hone out the deposits of crud once you're down a bit more. We'll look forward to your next report.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 9:09pm
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 9:09pm
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 9:10pm
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 9:16pm
Ok, Arhggg, had to pull the sleeve as I could not get the piston to move freely enought, i.e. with the starter, etc.

Glad I did as it looks like the rod bearing(s) are wiped out.  Looks like a complete now.

Pressed the piston out of the sleeve, yuk..

Oh, and I think I solved the riddle.  They (???) left the skid pan off and put a whopper of a dent in the oil pan, which in turn lifted the oil pickup out of the oil and walla, no oil, wiped bearings.  Then left out in the rain.

The good news is I really like this machine and how its put together.  Simple enough for even me.  And it doesnt look as bad as the pictures.

Now, pull the motor and put on a stand and the dozer on trailer back outside until the motor is dun.

cb1

JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 9:21pm
Well, I didn't count on pistons running dry before the bearings got wiped out... and then the rust formed on that dry steel... 
 you are right, your in for a full overhaul... and get that block cooked.  Check the oil pump too, see if theres rust in it and make sure the little springs that hold the vanes apart are good. Hope the pistons are salvageable.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 9:27pm
New pistons, rings and sleeves are $90 a pop, so not too terrible...

cb1

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 9:30pm
Where the crank stopped I can read M020, R030 and another number.  So shes been rebuild before.

Rods at 030 is a concern as Im not too sure if they (Allis) surface hardened thier cranks and to what thickness.

I see they have new cranks out there for $400.  A little pricey but may have too...

cb1

Edited by OldSchoolRecovery - 23 Nov 2015 at 9:30pm
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Ages Cat Ages Cat wrote:

We recently removed a stuck engine from a D grader. The cam lobes were rusted, the lifter faces  had rust, the cam gear, several pistons were stuck in the sleeves and the crankshaft was cracked about  150 degrees of the circumference. When you tear down a stuck engine, it is a pandoras box. The H3 may have been parked due to low oil pressure and if that is the case, then it is cam bearings, mains, rods , etc. Unless you completely dis assemble it, you won't know what you have. Our HD-3 is my favorite tractor and since these  are so much fun to own and operate, you want it to be dependable. The engine is the heartbeat of any tractor. You want it to be beating on all four.

Yep,

cb1
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by OldSchoolRecovery OldSchoolRecovery wrote:

Where the crank stopped I can read M020, R030 and another number.  So shes been rebuild before.

Rods at 030 is a concern as Im not too sure if they (Allis) surface hardened thier cranks and to what thickness.

I see they have new cranks out there for $400.  A little pricey but may have too...

cb1

Grinding your crank will be a hundred plus dollars. Buy a new one, you will save money on it and the bearings. Check the block,oil pump and galleys. A very stout engine if running correctly. Good Luck.
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 11:58am
I see rod bearing for sale at .040 over.  Seams like a lot to me.  Any thoughts?

cb1
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 1:35pm
Seems like getting a new crank is the way to go, expensive but in the big picture, the engine will be just like brand new.  040 over is a lot and a potential problem down the road, imho.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 5:48pm
Old school, did you delete pictures off the Allis storage site?   All your first pics are showing up as a boxed  X.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 5:54pm
I did.  Didnt want too many on there and I did not know that they would be gone.  Not sure if I put them back in there that they will show, but will try..

cb1
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 5:58pm
Pictures are back,

cb1
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 7:45pm
There is 20 megs of space... I have over 160 pics in there.... I need to delete some since I am getting close to maxed out. ... but that has been since sept. 2009.  Guess its time for a cleaning.  LOL
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 2:32am
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 2:33am
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 2:33am
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 2:34am
Got the motor out.  Took all of about an hour.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 2:34am
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 2:39am
New motor getting ready to go in!!
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 8:11am
Looks like a little more power!?
good shots! Maybe this will get me going on some of my projects:)
Regards,
Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 9:09am
Sugarmaker, It looks like he's yanking that old model A motor out to put in his crawler. Wink LOL 

OSR, yur makin progress...
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 12:12pm
You are really good with the wrenches!!Clap You have the virtue of being able to stay focussed. My Dad, soon 82, is the same, once he tears into a tractor he stays on it 'til it's finished making very good use of time. I wish for more of the same for myselfEmbarrassed  
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic