This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GaryL's Model B Build Thread - Take a Peek

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 6:08pm
I guess it is good to be safe but my tractors are never left in gear on level ground. Them things are really heavy and in my experience they don't roll well when I need to get that last little bit to drop a pin in. I grew up with the theory leave a car in gear but a tractor you slip it in neutral when you shut it off and wait a bit to see if it rolls at all if it doesn't it won't.   There are about 3 places here they can trick you cause it is cement that isn't level but on dirt they just sink in enough to not roll. I bet there isn't a 1 of my 5 tractors in gear. Honestly the bigger risk is someone walking up and turning the key while one the ground standing in front of the rear tire. I get the not wanting it to roll away. Just be safe I have know people who where long time farmers who ran their foot over that way. Wasn't a pretty site even after the fact left me paranoid.
Sponsored Links

littlemarv View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 7:08pm
Back on the first page someone said to buy a C and put the B rear end on it to make a handier mowing tractor. Why?
The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
sandman2234 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by littlemarv littlemarv wrote:

Back on the first page someone said to buy a C and put the B rear end on it to make a handier mowing tractor. Why?

Narrow front turns quicker, narrow rears make it easier to mow right up next to items.
David from jax

Edited by sandman2234 - 22 May 2016 at 8:45pm
A proud member of the Allis Express movement!
               Northeast Florida
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 9:56pm
Gary,
 You must be done with school? Looks like you have been spending some quality time with the toys! Hole for muffler came out very good.
I had a B just about run over me after a quarter turn of the crank! I was lucky! It was bucking up a tree when i finally got the shifter out of gear. Scared the crap out of me!
Regards,
 Chris

Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
corbinstein View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corbinstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 7:28am
while you're at it, check to see if you can get the clutch to pop all the way over and upside down..  MAKE SURE IT'S NOT RUNNING. then push on the clutch till it goes all the way over, past the stop. If it does, FIX IT!  I had one do that while I was pulling another B off the trailer. 

Now I'm standing a wheelie, no way to shut it off (make sure the shutoff works too), and the clutch has just flipped over. I snatch the gearshift back, and it went into reverse..... Now it's trying to climb over the IB that's on the trailer.....I finally hit it as hard as I could with my fist and it went out of gear...  I climb off and kill it.  Nursing my hand and cussing this disaster........
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 7:50am
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Gary,
 You must be done with school? Looks like you have been spending some quality time with the toys! Hole for muffler came out very good.
I had a B just about run over me after a quarter turn of the crank! I was lucky! It was bucking up a tree when i finally got the shifter out of gear. Scared the crap out of me!
Regards,
 Chris

Regards,
 Chris

Yes Chris, I am now finished with school.  I've spent the first two weeks out of school doing absolutely nothing.  I wanted to take some time to acclimate myself to the fact that I am not rushed for a few weeks before returning to classes (I made sure to take a class each summer term).  

I went back to re-read my post, and it seems a few of you guys getting bent out of shape over my having hand cranked the engine missed a key detail:

Originally posted by GaryL GaryL wrote:

I pulled the spark plugs and hand cranked it for three full revolutions.  A massive amount of water shot out of the back cylinder, then one of the others.

But I appreciate the warnings of exercising caution.

Originally posted by corbinstein corbinstein wrote:

while you're at it, check to see if you can get the clutch to pop all the way over and upside down..  MAKE SURE IT'S NOT RUNNING. then push on the clutch till it goes all the way over, past the stop. If it does, FIX IT!  I had one do that while I was pulling another B off the trailer.

I don't quite understand what you're saying.  Do what with the clutch while the tractor is not running?  Dale was able load it onto his trailer when he picked it up and then back it off his trailer, with no issues.
corbinstein View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corbinstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 9:38am
take a careful look at the clutch pedal. Press it forward. Then MASH it forward further. Will it go past the stop? Mine did. If it goes past the stop, it can then pop over and underneath. Kapische?  What I found that caused this was the rod that goes thru the torque tube sideways that the bottom of the pedal attaches to and pivots was worn and allowing it to bypass the stop. Nearly bit me. 
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 9:44am
Originally posted by corbinstein corbinstein wrote:

take a careful look at the clutch pedal. Press it forward. Then MASH it forward further. Will it go past the stop? Mine did. If it goes past the stop, it can then pop over and underneath. Kapische?  What I found that caused this was the rod that goes thru the torque tube sideways that the bottom of the pedal attaches to and pivots was worn and allowing it to bypass the stop. Nearly bit me. 

Ahhhh, good to know.  I will  definitely check that out.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 8:36pm
Gary,
Some of us older folks get a lot more cautious with age.
You got the points on safety. All that being said these tractors start real quick and easy. You should love it! Enjoy your time off!
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 8:32am
Many thanks to Kyle for the Woods mower.  I want to clean it up, get it attached, and put it to work once I get the B running.  I had to unload it myself.  An old water heater and the fulcrum principle worked great.

He had previously shipped the pulley and cylinder needed for making the mower operational.

Can anyone deduce which model mower this is?  It definitely needs new blades.

Edited by GaryL - 28 May 2016 at 8:33am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 9:48pm
Gary,
 Looks like a great project for the "B"! Lots of rust there. I would recommend getting it sandblasted and then go from there. If you have all the parts that is a big plus.
Regards,
 Chris
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 10:49pm
Woods 503. Great mower. Got one under our "C". Under the tin there is an idler pulley arm on a spring. Drill, tap, and put a grease fitting in it.
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Gary,
 Looks like a great project for the "B"! Lots of rust there. I would recommend getting it sandblasted and then go from there. If you have all the parts that is a big plus.
Regards,
 Chris

That's probably a good idea.  I was giving it a once over yesterday and noticed a few of the grease fittings were rusted.  IIRC, Kyle stated the tractor had been sitting for a long time, so a complete teardown of the mower is probably a good idea.  I'd rather do it once and cry once but will be satisfied knowing it was done right the first time.

Originally posted by Unit3 Unit3 wrote:

Woods 503. Great mower. Got one under our "C". Under the tin there is an idler pulley arm on a spring. Drill, tap, and put a grease fitting in it.

Thanks for that information and the advice regarding the grease fitting Thumbs Up
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 1:45pm
It's a Woods L503 , a left handed rotation mower a Woods 503 is right hand. Blades are left handed and spindle has left handed thread to hold the blade on.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 29 May 2016 at 1:46pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

It's a Woods L503 , a left handed rotation mower a Woods 503 is right hand. Blades are left handed and spindle has left handed thread to hold the blade on.

I was looking up information on Woods mowers and noticed a reference to left handed threads.  There is a dealer in my area; however, I'm looking for some web sources where I can find parts. 
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2016 at 6:14pm
I have the B moved into my garage so I can make some tweaks and see if I can get it running this weekend.  

The steering wheel has approximately 6"-8" of play.  I don't believe adjusting it will be of use, so I would like to pull it to rebuild it.  Is there a diagram or How-To posted anywhere?
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2016 at 6:27pm
Gary,
You'd be surprised how much play you can remove with the adjuster screw at the back of the box.  Give it a go.
Steve
1940 B "Lucy"
1941 B w/ Woods L59 "Flavia"
1942 B w/ finish mower "Dick"
1941 C w/ 3-point "Maggie"
1947 C SFW w/ L306 "Trixie"
1972 314H
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2016 at 8:32pm
Gary the steering box is fairly simple and a few of us have been through them a time or two. Help is right here. I did have a book when I did mine. A forum member sent me a PDF. Parts can be found and the pin can be made. I lucked in to NOS parts when I redid my last one. That will make a very good mowing machine. If I remember correctly there are two different gear boxes. What year is your B? I had a 1940 with the same adjustable wide front.
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by Hubnut Hubnut wrote:

Gary,
You'd be surprised how much play you can remove with the adjuster screw at the back of the box.  Give it a go.
Steve

Steve,

That much play in the box tells me there are deeper, underlying issues.  May as well bite the bullet, pull the box and tear it down.

Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

Gary the steering box is fairly simple and a few of us have been through them a time or two. Help is right here. I did have a book when I did mine. A forum member sent me a PDF. Parts can be found and the pin can be made. I lucked in to NOS parts when I redid my last one. That will make a very good mowing machine. If I remember correctly there are two different gear boxes. What year is your B? I had a 1940 with the same adjustable wide front.

This B is a throw together (has a C rear end).  I'll pull the cover and get some pictures of the box posted by Saturday.  Some Google searches have directed me to threads and diagrams from this forum; however, some pictures posted in the threads are now dead links.
wbecker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 9:00am
It looks like from the Woods mower pictures that the rear mount bracket for the mower is for a B, if so it will not fit if you have C final drives.
Allis B, IB, Low B, G, D10, JD M, 8KCAB, C152
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 10:53am
The pictures he posted, show a B rear with the single nut holding the wheel hub on, with C wheel centers bolted on as weights. I would guess somebody put a C tranny in it if it has a C tractor number. Unless somebody changed the axles out somehow, I would think it has B final drives.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 11:06am
It sure would help if I had some reference for how to remove the steering box.  So far, I have removed: the steering wheel; battery box & associated wires; steering arm; and have loosened the outer cover.

I have the tube partially slid upward but cannot see how the shaft disconnects from the box, unless the three bolts holding the small cover are the secret sauce.
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 12:51pm
OK, I figured out how to dismantle this.  I had no idea the steering shaft didn't break at the worm gear.

The upper bearing only had 9 balls, which I believe it is one short.  The end of the housing looks like it's been beat.  The pin is mashed on the arm, so I'm wondering if I should cobble together a new box or get a new/rebuilt unit.  It shouldn't be that difficult to rebuilt considering I have a neighbor who is a machinist and can turn a pin.

Edited by GaryL - 23 Jul 2016 at 4:54pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 2:20pm
Gary,
 Thanks for the pictures! I have never had one apart! You are right into it now! Good luck on the steering box rebuild! Looks like a lot of old grease in there. Better than no grease!
Regards,
 Chris
wbecker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 2:27pm
What I do is drill out the pin, and replace it with one from Tracy martin, or buy one from John Deere for a John Deere M, they are replaceable in that tractor and are the exact same profile as the wore out one in the B Allis.
Also Steiner has one from China for about $100 for the whole lever shaft.
Your neighbor could make one but he wouldn't know the profile etc without a good one to look at, and it needs to be hard material.
The seal # is CR 9838
Allis B, IB, Low B, G, D10, JD M, 8KCAB, C152
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by wbecker wbecker wrote:

What I do is drill out the pin, and replace it with one from Tracy martin, or buy one from John Deere for a John Deere M, they are replaceable in that tractor and are the exact same profile as the wore out one in the B Allis.
Also Steiner has one from China for about $100 for the whole lever shaft.
Your neighbor could make one but he wouldn't know the profile etc without a good one to look at, and it needs to be hard material.
The seal # is CR 9838

OK.  Thanks for that .  Does anyone have some rebuilt pictures or an exploded diagram?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 6:33pm
Gary I'll look for pics from when I rebuilt mine. It was a few years back and my memory isn't keeping up. I should have pics of the whole process if I can find them. I'll also look in the shop and see what parts I may have hanging on the wall. I have a good C box bu I don't think I have a complete box for a B.
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

Gary I'll look for pics from when I rebuilt mine. It was a few years back and my memory isn't keeping up. I should have pics of the whole process if I can find them. I'll also look in the shop and see what parts I may have hanging on the wall. I have a good C box bu I don't think I have a complete box for a B.

Thad,

I would really appreciate that.  How do I go about drilling the pin and installing a new one?  Is it press fit or welded?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 8:58pm
Gary, I didn't replace the pin on mine. I lucked in to a NOS shaft from a friend, Tracy Martin on the forum makes new pins and could probably tell you how it's done. I've been looking for pics and haven't found them yet. I wish I could remember what I did for the bearing at the bottom. I'll keep looking for the pics. Keep this bumped or start a thread on the steering box and others will also be able to help with parts and advice.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 9:04pm
One more thing. I wish you could find another donor box for parts. It would have the needed ball and possibly other needed parts. I will look in the shop in the morning.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic