This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GaryL's Model B Build Thread - Take a Peek

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GaryL's Model B Build Thread - Take a Peek
    Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 1:16pm
Although I've had to pause in work on my WD due to school and job requirements, I have been considering another tractor for both play and smaller jobs.  That led me to believe a Model B, with a belly mower, would be perfect for maintaining my pastures as well as the ditches.  I may even look for other implements for future use.

I found this project tractor on Craigslist and have inquired if it is still for sale.

Feedback is appreciated.

Quote For sale is a allis chalmers b parts tractor. Most everything is there except the head, and it set outside without a head for years before I got it. It came in a package deal and I don't really need it. I have most of the sheet metal but it's rough and the gas tank is trash. But it's got what appears to be a good transmission and rear end. I just can't stand to take this thing to the
Scrapyard so someone please buy it! $250 OBO. Possible trades for man stuff, guns, tools, whatever ya got let me know, worst I can say is no.

Edited by GaryL - 24 Jul 2016 at 9:08pm
Sponsored Links

ksbowhunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksbowhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2015 at 7:06am
Gary 
You might be interested in this one unless you are set on a B.
2-37 WC
37 wf127
37 wf130
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2015 at 7:30am
Gary,
That is a big project for sure! It can be done just need lots of time, parts and dollars.
Brush hog on the WD might work just as good? My 2 cents.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2015 at 8:17am
Originally posted by ksbowhunter ksbowhunter wrote:

Gary 
You might be interested in this one unless you are set on a B.

Oooohhhhh.  Thanks for that.  I may have to follow up on those two.

Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Gary,
That is a big project for sure! It can be done just need lots of time, parts and dollars.
Brush hog on the WD might work just as good? My 2 cents.
Regards,
 Chris

That's the plan, but in some cases a smaller tractor will be more appropriate.  Besides, I like playing with tractors Smile

Edited by GaryL - 01 Nov 2015 at 8:17am
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 8:16am
I finally heard back from the seller on the B.  Am waiting to talk with him a bit later today.
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 8:36am
don't get in to big a hurry to find what your looking for. with scrap prices low you can get more of what your needing to start with for around $100. $250 for that $50 parts B is not OK
   sitttin out in the rain for years the tranny is probably full of water and rust

Edited by Ken in Texas - 08 Nov 2015 at 8:43am
Steve Zidlicky View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Zidlicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 9:36am
there are more out there and that one is not anything special.I would like to sell you parts for that one because you will need LOTS OF THEM. Buy one that runs and repair small stuff and paint or do what tickles you and it will still be a project for you and much less spent in the process.
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 10:46am
I'd really like a B with the belly mower.  Are they proprietary or are mowers an aftermarket add-on that can easily be adapted?
sandman2234 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 11:34am
I think there are at least 3 mower manufacturers. Woods, Artsway and ....at least one other. Woods are the most common, Artsway makes a good one also.
   The B's pictured are definitely projects, with a lot of work and money involved.
   David from jax
A proud member of the Allis Express movement!
               Northeast Florida
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 11:50am
You MIGHT be able to pry $50 out of me for that B but no more !! Unless you hear them running ANY tractor is a BIG gamble and will cost hundreds or thousands to get 'up and running'.
There's one for sale up here $1000 ! NOT running,needs tires,muffler,handcrank(says it's 1938)....who knows IF the hand brakes work, etc.
It's the silly little things like... will the rad HOLD water ? how much oil is in the water in the tranny ?...6V or 12V, genny or alt ?....Probably 20 'must know' questions[ maybe someone will make a list], you should find out before handing over any cash.
Up here scrap is 3 cents a pound aka $50 a ton more or less AND it's going down....so if the seller figures in fuel costs to haul to a yard you are doing HIM a favour giving him the $50-75 that's a fair price for a little tractor with a LOT of big unknowns...

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 11:55am
I would venture to say if they were givin to you it would cost way to much in parts alone to bring any of them back good enough to mow with.

GaryL. How far are you from Henderson Texas? I'm ready to thin out my collection of Bs and Cs that run.    Ken

Edited by Ken in Texas - 08 Nov 2015 at 11:59am
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Ken in Texas Ken in Texas wrote:

I would venture to say if they were givin to you it would cost way to much in parts alone to bring any of them back good enough to mow with.

GaryL. How far are you from Henderson Texas? I'm ready to thin out my collection of Bs and Cs that run.    Ken

You have a PM.
Ted in NE-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted in NE-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 12:37pm
A "B" with a Woods belly mower  L-59 (most common) is not a brush hog, it is intended to be a finish (lawn) mower. If you get into tall grass the belt will just slip.
CA, WD, C, 3 Bs, 2 Gs, WC, I-400, 914
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 12:47pm
That looks like a parts tractor, but for $200 it might have some parts for a better tractor that you find latter on down the road, I'd keep looking.
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 7:19am
There are a lot better B n'C's out there than that one. I would think in your state, they'll be in excellent shape compared to around these parts. Western states always have nicer iron because of the weather conditions. Sounds like Ken can fix ya up with somethin' nice and running! Now that's a plus! LOL!
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 6:03pm
2000 lbs of B @$2.50/cwt = about $50 scrap value.  Before scrap went up, B's used to go for about 3-400 bucks for a running one...
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 6:49pm
Someone sent me a link to a project B very close to me.  I have a friend who can dicker like no one, so I sent him the link.  Since he's retired, he may very well be able to pick it up for a song; otherwise, there's always whatever kinds of treasures Ken has available.
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 9:13pm
Gary,  I sure hope you get a B.  Love to see another one brought back to live and get some TLC. 
That said, I would suggest you look a little further.  Seems like there is so much missing from the one I see and having it SIT OUTSIDE for an extended period of time seems like poor odds with what may well be needed to bring it back to life
Wish you the best though.  Just do not repeat do not want you to get frustrated by a real difficult never ending job.
Let us know how it goes.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 7:27am
Originally posted by Bill Long Bill Long wrote:

Gary,  I sure hope you get a B.  Love to see another one brought back to live and get some TLC. 
That said, I would suggest you look a little further.  Seems like there is so much missing from the one I see and having it SIT OUTSIDE for an extended period of time seems like poor odds with what may well be needed to bring it back to life
Wish you the best though.  Just do not repeat do not want you to get frustrated by a real difficult never ending job.
Let us know how it goes.
Good Luck!
Bill Long

Thanks, but I'm good.  One of my hobby interests is metal shaping, and I'm on a metal shaping forum where you wouldn't believe the kinds of scratch work some guys produce.  Reproducing the gas tank for the Model B (in the ad) is something I was considering.  No matter as I passed on the project.  The seller said it was OK as he has another buyer coming to look at it.

Once I do find something, I will definitely post here.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 12:12pm
Gary
I'm moving stuff in the shop around and taking pictures. I got my image
transfer problems solved so I can email pictures or PM them. Everything AC here has to go except for my CA puller and everything I need to finish building a 38 handcranker exactly like the one dad had before I was 10 years old.   3 Bs and a C all with running engines. plus parts. Some assembly required. I'm just too old to finish all the tractor projects I started.
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 7:25am
Thanks to all of those who responded to this thread either directly or via PM.

Yesterday, Ken and I officially sealed the deal on a B that he has that will be perfect for my current situation.  It was great talking to him, especially after learning we both grew up in northern Illinois.

Pictures of the upcoming retrieval and post assembly to follow.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 7:36am
Great to hear! You da' man Ken!!

Edited by Steve in NJ - 16 Nov 2015 at 7:36am
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
WC7610 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WC7610 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 9:07am
Buy a good running C and also this one for parts.  Put the B rear end on your good running C and you will have a much handier mower tractor.
Thanks

Most Bad Government has grown out of Too Much Government- Thomas Jefferson
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 10:09am
Gary,
 Congrats on the purchase of the B. Looking forward to pictures too.
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 11:16am
I received a message from the hauler a while ago.  My B is loaded and on the way to its new home!  I suspect it will be later tonight when he arrives.

Edited by GaryL - 13 Feb 2016 at 11:17am
45 turboa- View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 45 turboa- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 11:34am
Looks like a nice B that green thing up front is probably the only 2 cyl worth having I had a H jd once never again   Junk !
turbocharged
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 2:15pm
That's a very nice looking B......I now have "B" envy!!!   
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 2:23pm
If you're just using the B for small jobs and don't want those extra rear wheel centers, hit me up!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 3:10pm
Gary,
Good looking B! Got some nice tires on the rear too! Your collection is growing.
Regard,
 Chris
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 3:40pm
Gary,
Nice looking B.  If it's anything like the parts Kenny sends me, it's perfect!  I've received primo parts from him over the past year or so.  Good man to deal with.   I've been wanting to get over Kenny's way for a while now.  Who did you use to haul? 
Steve
1940 B "Lucy"
1941 B w/ Woods L59 "Flavia"
1942 B w/ finish mower "Dick"
1941 C w/ 3-point "Maggie"
1947 C SFW w/ L306 "Trixie"
1972 314H
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic