This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

653 steering clutch question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter01922 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 653 steering clutch question
    Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 1:48pm
Hi gents, the new job ( rolloff truck driver) has been keeping me busy 65 hours a week or so and time has been limited BUT i finally got a better look at the clutches.Looks like the release bearings are not moving at all. Would certainly explain the lack of steering since with them stuck engaged the brakes wouldn't stand a chance at making it turn. Anyway, even after consulting the manual and peering into the compartment i can't figure for the life of me how the hell they work. Steer levers move fine enough for a good 6 inches or so and make the thing at the front of the compartment rotate. I see the pivot pin and linkages and whatnot but it doesn't seem like anything pulls on the arm the right direction to make it move. Looks like all thats there is a couple springs and they aren't providing much pull if any. On my IH 500C its got a rod with ball ends that fit into sockets connecting the steer lever with a rod that rotates and forces the fork to move to then move the release bearing, makes total sense and it very simple. This setup.....?????  If one of you could point me in the right direction as to how these work it would be helpful in determining what the heck isn't working right. I just hosed everything release bearing related with PB blaster and closed it back up for the time being. Maybe when i go back something will move Unhappy

Edited by scooter01922 - 05 Jul 2015 at 10:03pm
Sponsored Links

Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 1:33pm
can you post some pics ?
scooter01922 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter01922 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 5:11pm
Should be able to in the next few days. Kinda down a car since mine is totaled and the rental just went back today, kinda sucks to have no car while i fight the damn insurance co but oh well. Going to go tune up the motorcycle right now so i can get around town.
pinball View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 9:42pm
If my memory is correct when you pull back on your lever it engages the throw out bearing against the spring loaded tabs and trys to release the clutch disk some as to alow them to slip so when you pull back on the brake it will hold that side back some so the other side will turn faster. if it is working correct you can stop one side completely. You can put a bar next to the throw out bearing and you should be able to move it 2/3 inches in and out as it just slides on a collar and the big spring in front is what pulls it back unless your clip is broke off the bearing collar then it wont. Anyway that the way I think my h4 is and there suppose to be the same.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter01922 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 6:41pm
So theres the front as it sits, i see the spring but not how the heck it would do anything.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter01922 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 6:43pm
Theres the actual release bearing end. I pried around with a crowbar and nothing moves at all. Its a little crusty in there but the cover was well installed and there was no visible moisture when i opened it. Not sure how the heck its so stuck, but then again can't see how it should work either.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter01922 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 6:44pm
Sorry the pics are so dark, the dozer is located off the grid so i can't just grab a  shop  light and brighten things up, its flashlight or no light.
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 7:49pm
THE RIGHT STEERING CLUTCH IS SUPPOSED TO RELEASE THE CLUTCHES SO  THE CLUTCHES ARE NOT ENGAGED. I WOULD MAKE SURE THE TRANSMISSION IS OUT OF GEAR FIRST. THEN MAKE SURE THE PARKING BRAKE IS NOT LOCKED DOWN. THAT WOULD BE THE LEVER AT THE SEAT FRAME ON RIGHT SIDE, IT SHOULD BE BACK AGAINST THE SEAT. TAKE A PRY BAR WITH THE CLUTCH LEVER PULLED BACK AND SEE IF ANYTHING MOVES. YOU CAN PUT THE SHARP END BETWEEN THE SPRING ENCLOSED FINGERS TO GET SOME LEVERAGE. DON'T PRY TOO HARD THOUGH. REMEMBER THE AXLE WILL STILL BE ENGAGED FROM THE TRANNY TO THE CLUTCH PACK AND IF THE LEVER PULL BACK DOES NOT RELEASE THE CLUTCHES THE PRESSURE OF THE BAR IS ALSO APPLIED TO THE TRACKS. MIGHT WANT TO SPRAY SOME WD 40 TO LOOSED UP THE METAL PARTS ALSO. WATCH ABOUT SPRAYING ON THE BRAKE BAND PADS AND SURFACE WHERE BRAKE PADS WOULD CONTACT.  RANDAL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic