This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD21B put in service

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD21B put in service
    Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 12:01pm
So since the logging show we've been working on this HD21B. We acquired this tractor many many years ago after the previous owner had removed the transmission to do repairs. It sat for several years after they had repaired the transmission, but no one wanted to put the transmission back in. We picked up all the pieces and got it home where it sat some more. photo P3260205_zps3l2umgjk.jpg
We actually went back into the transmission and changed some main bearings that we could see had some rust showing up from moisture. After we got it going we got to busy to work on it, so we parked it and the sprocket shaft final seal promptly leaked oil. Knowing that needed fixing before we could go on (kinda took the fun out of it). That was 4 years ago, so fast forward to today. We have a opportunity to do some vineyard prep (ripping and digging stumps etc.) for a neighbor. Here's the story so far.  photo P3270217_zps0bn1rkpp.jpg
Get the swing frame off, a big forklift helps. Build a outboard bearing wrench photo P3280001_zpshdwzeldn.jpg
This is the puller setup we use to pull the bearing photo P3280004_zpsaloy6hal.jpg
Then you get your big sprocket nut wrench out photo P3280008_zpsbrzm30vi.jpg
After the nut is loose you have an after work beverage while you set up the sprocket press photo P3280011_zpseqpvu3rg.jpg
The sprocket press looks like this (and makes a loud pop!) when it comes loose at 60 tons photo P3280012_zpsjpzvb53w.jpg
Use the forklift to remove it. photo P4030006_zpsafmspxuh.jpg
It looked like the metal sealing ring was not tight against the bearing retainer allowing the rubber seal to slip out the bottom and leak ( I think that was the smoking gun) photo P4030001_zpsjoec0llp.jpg
Press it back on like this. photo P4040010_zpsaqzqeli9.jpg
Had to get more creative for the outboard bearing press, but it worked.  photo P4060007_zps8bifyfmh.jpg
So David's got the paint shop open now. We had 10 gallons of Caterpillar paint unopened from 8 years ago. We got some clean buckets and began stirring and dumping back and forth. As you know we haven't needed much yellow paint lately,but this late model AC stuff (LOL) needs to be yellow as it was when new. We have used the Cat paint for yellow. It's good paint and just about as economical as any thing else. photo P4150019_zpsyfno3hxu.jpg
John finished washing and we also did some sanding photo P4150021_zpsfizuywjj.jpg
 photo P4150022_zpskmy5y148.jpg
 photo P4150025_zpsvnnlf7z5.jpg
So this was what it looked like yesterday. The rest of the paint is going on today photo P4150026_zpstg0mf3c6.jpg
Stay tuned
Sponsored Links

darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 12:57pm
You and your crew never cease to amaze me. I think you must get more stuff done in a day than I do in a year. Love all the pictures and stories to go with them. Glad you are bringing new life to all of this old Allis equipment. Thanks, Darrel
donoman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 2:19pm
It would be great to see a video of it ripping the stumps out when its back at work
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 5:39pm
My uncle had a 69 HD 21 from 73 until he died. He worked on the finals a number of times.The last several times he used a guy from the oil fields that had equipment put to liquid nitrogen on, so parts would slip together with the bearings and such. He covered the garbage for the city of Paso Robles Ca for about 15 years.Lots of stuff to wrap into the finals and take out seals when some of the pour help didn't clean them out.Don't know how similar this final is to the older ones he ran.May not be rocket science to repair one but not possible without good lifting equipment and the special wrenches. Uncle was  one to sit and have a cold one if things would not go together rather than get impatient with it.
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 6:37pm
Its gotta be those beverage intervals that help these boys get so much work done on the tractors. We should all follow suit to increase productivity and reduce stress.
Great work Mel
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 7:01am
Wow you guys have all the stuff needed to do the heavy work!!! Most amazing and thanks for posting all the great pictures.
ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 9:22am
Yeah!! A big, bad 21! Clap Great work, Mel. Thumbs Up
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 11:59am
Darrel in ND, when you said, "You and your crew never cease to amaze me. I think you must get more stuff done in a day than I do in a year." I was thinking more on the abilities that Mel and crew possess, they use more of their abilities and talents in one day than some have had in the totals of their lifetimes.
 As always Mel, you guys do excellent work at bringing them old machines back to life and useable conditions again.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
scooter01922 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter01922 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 3:13pm
Excellent work, we are going to absolutely REQUIRE some vid of that brute back at work and lookin pretty. Keep it up Thumbs Up
hd16b View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hd16b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 7:42pm
Mel,I wish I could borrow your tools and knowledge.i also have seals leaking on my 16b. Been putting it off because I don't know how I am going to pull off and press on the sprocket. I just love working on old dozers,if I was close to you I would work in the off season for you for free,doing it just for the experience.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 11:11pm
Thanks for all  the nice comments guys. So here's how the painting has gone so far photo HD21 ALLIS CHALMERS BBQ 003_zpsdytca3an.jpg
 photo HD21 ALLIS CHALMERS BBQ 006_zpsqayxuorv.jpg
 photo HD21 ALLIS CHALMERS BBQ 011_zps373nfm3d.jpg
 photo HD21 ALLIS CHALMERS BBQ 014_zpsbj1xndwt.jpg
 photo HD21 ALLIS CHALMERS BBQ 002_zpsciv4kyyo.jpg
 photo HD21 ALLIS CHALMERS BBQ 001_zpsdycyzrb1.jpg
So the track went on yesterday, the canopy and sweeps today, the blade tomorrow and hopefully a trial run. I placed an order with Speer Seat Cushions for the seat and armrests.
   Also we'll get some video to happen when we get going.
jorstad brothers View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jorstad brothers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 7:52pm
mel thats a nice 21 u have there all of them up in this country are wore out 
remember plunder than burn
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 11:43pm
Todays events looked like this photo 019_zpsly3t7urj.jpg
 photo 022_zpsrfnjxnis.jpg
 photo 023_zpsxjldwf65.jpg
 photo P4210031_zpstatigimo.jpg
 photo P4210033_zpsnn1yavtu.jpg
 photo P4210038_zpsj3sl7rb9.jpg
 photo P4210041_zpsktt4mhip.jpg
Ok so I've got video but having trouble geting it uploaded. I know, I know, any one that can work on these old tractors should be able to upload video too. (I'll get it)
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 2:02am
Day~um, those pics were so good lookin that I could almost smell the new paint and the smoke rollin... She sure looks like its working good. 
 As always , you guys really do a good job bringing the dead back to life... and looking best they have in many a years...
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 2:14am
how come you don't paint the inside or outside of the tracks? and you guys are like the "king of obsolete" or he's like you guys! great job!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 4:17am
Ol' girl looks good in new dress, looking sharp. How did the 21B end up with split segment SALT rails? Wish I had a set for my little 7G.
hd16b View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hd16b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 5:52pm
She looks wonderful mel, first chance you get I would love to have a close up on the muffler set up,I have been wanting to make mine like that
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 10:48am
Thank you so much for the pictures and the hard--hard work to get these old gals back in operation. Now if I could only get my old gal---well never mind.
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 10:16pm
Nice looking 21 to be sure.  Also curious as to the rails- maybe from a D8?  Would like to test out a 21B or 21C someday...
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 9:49am
Yes those are D8 tracks (Berco). The previous owner had put those on with the help of a mechanic who had done the research knowing that the pitch was the same as the 8s. Everything was compatible and it sure made it easier to work on.

Doug, I'll get some close ups of the muffler and email you. 

HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 3:56am
yep both are the same; D8H and HD21; 9 inch pitch
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 12:11pm
Here's an update for the 21B. We got a gig ripping some vineyard ground for our neighbors.
 photo P5100016_zpsekbcw0ao.jpg
We had to load it on the cozad and move it 1/2 mile down the road
 photo P5100018_zps8nqdhs0z.jpg
 photo P5100020_zps8fffw1tr.jpg
We postponed the job for 2 weeks because of over 60'' rain.
 photo P5100021_zpsb8htiwb1.jpg
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 12:56pm
Good Greif that is one healthy looking bruit. Great Work Guys
Lee Bradley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee Bradley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 2:31pm
As has been said, nice tracks.  Just looking those look like extreme service rock grousers.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 10:30pm
Another wonderful looking and running machine, I, along with everyone else on this forum are really impressed with your work.
I was on a farm tour in your area about 20 years ago and we came past a vineyard that had just been dozed out, two D9's or D10's sitting next to a big pile of posts. wire and plants.  Vineyard owner had decided he had two many of that variety of grapes, going to replant something else.  Some people out there must have more money then sense!

Darrel, the reason they get so much more done then you is there are more of them and it's not 40 below and snowing half the year!

Edited by JohnCO - 12 May 2017 at 10:31pm
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 12:21am
Originally posted by JohnCO JohnCO wrote:

Another wonderful looking and running machine, I, along with everyone else on this forum are really impressed with your work.
I was on a farm tour in your area about 20 years ago and we came past a vineyard that had just been dozed out, two D9's or D10's sitting next to a big pile of posts. wire and plants.  Vineyard owner had decided he had two many of that variety of grapes, going to replant something else.  Some people out there must have more money then sense!

Darrel, the reason they get so much more done then you is there are more of them and it's not 40 below and snowing half the year!
an that is pretty close to true.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 9:12am
Awesome machines, saw one years ago working coal pile at one of Ameren's stations, was HUGE! with a coal blade on it.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 3:32pm
What a load. How much does it weigh ?
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 11:46pm
Wow that's a cool dozer. You sure do get a lot done with your projects. I think I'm a little jealous.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 10:08am
We think it weighs over 80,000 lbs. We tried to weigh it the first time we hauled it, on our truck scales. There's an incline to our scales and the lowbed is close enough to the ground that it high centered with the truck axles on the scales and the trailer axles still coming up the ramp. Well that took some weight of the truck axles, so the air bags dumped some more lowering the trailer onto the ground all the way. We got if off by pulling it backwards with one of the 11Bs. That was difficult cause the ground is hard packed and it just wanted to spin. So we haven't tried that again, but someday we'll get the exact number.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic