This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fascination of old bulldozers...your input??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fascination of old bulldozers...your input??
    Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 11:02pm
I have often wondered over the fervent interest that is sparked and surrounds old bulldozers?? Is it their power to push? ...capability to navigate difficult terrain?...what they can accomplish in one day?...is it how they make you feel when you operate them? how they could make you richBig smile or make you go brokeCry...or? I don't think there is necessarily right or wrong answers. When you observe how many views and responses to topics on this forum dealing with old bulldozers and interesting at thatClap...just compare that to wheel loaders or backhoes for instanceWink. Would be fun to hear some thoughts on this - Thanks!  
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Sponsored Links

Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 7:15am
My opinion:
I noticed that things that were made before I was born were made to last a long time. Things could be repaired and put back into service again. The technology was crude but understandable. The machinery of the era has a determination to keep on working although out of date and outworked by technically advanced equipment.

From the heavy equipment perspective:
I have an HD7G track loader with turbocharger, torque converter, and hydraulically assisted controls. When it became problematic I invested in repairing it but it kept on having problems. Fix the first problem then find another problem. The HD7G is a grand machine when all of it is working.

So I purchased an HD6G that is less powerful and less sophisticated. When something broke I fixed it. It was hard work but it was not frustrating. Then I bought another HD6G. Then I bought another HD6G to use as a backup machine. I marvel that these old machines are able to keep on working.

Perhaps like everyone else I am getting old but I still enjoy working in the mud.

Dozer
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 9:55am
After moving dirt with a IH 300 utility tractor with loader and back blade ,working in sand it became apparent tracks were needed - AND then the projects started -a AC - HD5G and next a truck and trailer to move it.
 Everyone needs a bigger machine - so after looking and pondering many - a Cat D6 -9U was next and ended up being a money pit . Was a reason previous owner parked it in back row of his storage lot . But for 3 years I ran it and put money into it . New D5 track and segmented sprockets - other track work and couple transmission problems - then steering clutches - and then bearings in engine - and then it ended with a trade off for a HD4 loader and hoe.
 And as everyone needs a dozer found a HD5B that needed a new home - and 2 more HD5G machines that felt lonesome .  Add in a Pettybone SA15 4x4 loader and a Adams 411 road grader along with several tandem dump trucks one realizes you need to focus your efforts . 
 Sold all but one HD5 - traded HD4 on a New Holland 785 skid steer, bought a AC715B-D TLB and then a Fiat-Allis FD5 dozer and started doing sewer and water work.
 Moving from old equipment can have it's advantages but the HD5G is still a great machine for some jobs around here as well as low cost and easy to work on machine if it needs it.  

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
donoman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 10:00am
I agree with Dozer I have had my HD6G for 30 years, I also have HD6E' s with the power brakes and steering great to operate but when one side gets hot and will not steer, the fun starts, while on the 6G there is a rod from the lever to the throwout bearing on the clutch pack and thats it, Hard work pulling levers all day but very basic and reliable
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 6:46pm
Eric, the scent of hot clutch linings and transmission fluid when the ol girls are working hard does it for me. Any older machine has that, but walking track frame crawlers are special to me for their capabilities on logging, pioneer roading, and land clearing in the mountains. These rigid undercarriage crawlers they build today are a waste of good iron IMO.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 7:21pm
I began mechanicing when many of these machines were in their infancy, 1975, great times for those machines so stalwart and bare of creature comfort but they worked and working on them was not so much intense as intensive as todays machines get under my skin with all the codes and electrical malfunctions derived from yet still old fashioned mechanical faults.

I probably yearn for my youth when I weighed but 160 pounds and could squeeze my lanky frame down head first in the crawlers and trucks of the day, now I am beaten up, considerably heavier and a taste less patient but still get the work I need to done albeit slower. I can still see those machines when they were new, they still look good to me even after 40 years.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 8:10pm
We're all just big kids, at heart, playin with bulldozers, in God's sandpile...
Steve (MT) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve (MT) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 10:42pm
Crawler tractors are one of the best inventions of all time in my opinion. I like the yellow ones, red ones but my favorite is still by far the ORANGE ones. In fact we still use a few for our dryland wheat farming operation here in Montana. 1969 HD11AG, 1957 HD16A and a 1973 Cat 98J SA.  
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 12:39am
There is just something about a machine on tracks, hard to explain.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 12:30am
Great to hear the variety of comments....I think I can relate to all of them. Having started out with a backhoe - versatile as they are, it was such a sweet surprise when I got my first bulldozer (a Cat 955K, sorry not AC for this forum). No more spinning tires and very productive results in short order! I had my initiation with a $8000 repair bill (30 years ago) but then I had two years without pulling a cotter pin...by then I was impressed what an old bulldozer could do. Like Mac said about the scent...you know you're in the presence of "a friend". JohnCo summed it up well by saying "there's just something about a machine on tracks...hard to explain", a bit of mystery to make it interesting. Thanks everyone!! 
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 8:29pm
Been running crawler tractors to farm with since I had the muscle to steer one without any hydraulic help.First was AC model K on butane. Uncle was making a living with a HD 14C so I got the desire to move mountains at a young age. Never really had the opportunity to move mountains. But yes something about the power to change the earth. 

Coke I can feel you pain in the Cat D6 9u but you were so close to having it rebuilt.Been their done that put every thing from transmission back new in one in 83.My main tillage tractor for 25 years.None abrasive soil and the tracks still have some life left.Need the same treatment to a HD5 B that was the seeding tractor for 40 years but they all wear out some day. 
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 12:48am
Ray, I'm wondering why you use tracked machines instead of articulated 4 X 4's?  Other then the crawlers are along ago paid for.

Edited by JohnCO - 18 Apr 2015 at 12:49am
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 7:54pm
I was to poor to afford anything newer to begin with.Then started cultivating walnut orchards .Many  of them were to steep to turn a side hill harvester around on.Just driving a combine across stuff that it will not level on no big deal but turning around is. I know pictures would help,could probable  make you pucker sitting at your computer.Now Cat D6 9u 's are going cheap ,so I just get another instead of fixing a broken one. 
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 10:43pm
You ought to talk to Mel about the HD41 he found around the Bay Area, that would impress the neighbors!
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 6:37am
I still remember when as a young boy (about 6 maybe) I was invited to ride along on a dozer, thinking it may have been a TD6, anyway I still remember the smell of diesel fuel and resh dirt. Thinking that happy time had much to do with my future love of dirt moving machinery
ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 10:02am
I'm in agreement with B26240. My fascination with bulldozers started at a very young age.
I too remember the smell of diesel and fresh turned dirt as well as recently fallen timber--Redwood, Doug Fir etc.
My uncle was a cat skinner and timber faller for many years when I was a wee lad. This was in the early '70s. He would occasionally take me to work with him (when it wasn't too far from home) and let me ride with him on the dozer. He ran 3 machines for different people--HD16, D-8, and a TD-24--but the 16 is the one I rode most on and is probably responsible for my preference for AC.
The whole experience on the dozer I just loved--the smells, the sound of the straining engine under load, the ability to climb obscenely steep hills, the tracks digging in and powering through where no wheeled machine could, building a road where there was previously nothing but mountainous terrain and--last but not least-- the looks of the machine. Dozers just look tough and purposeful. New machines just don't have the tough, no-nonsense look about them (especially those high-track contraptions Tongue) that the old dozers did. 
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 11:12am
I was raised riding in the seat with my Uncle while he cleared our land and then build a dam with a pull scraper. It was a old WWII surplus D-8 cable blade. I remember sharing the seat as a 3-4 year old finally falling asleep to the roar of the engine as he worked.
Little did I know then that it was the start of a life long love of equipment! I can still remember it being parked and abandoned at the far end of our fields after the lake was completed. It became the envy of all kids who came to visit as we climbed all over it dreaming of working it again. Boy would I love to have it back now! Such memories! 
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 5:41pm
You are right about newer machines AC Crazy. Mid 1980`s was the end of the good crawlers. Fiat closing Springfield plant and discontinuing Allis Chalmers engineered products, IH constuction machinery division sold, Caterpillar leaning to the link chewing high drive design, and the Japanese deciding the best way to drive their logging winches was to bypass the torque converter and drive straight off the flywheel???
Was all down the crapper from there
donoman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 12:00am
Sounds like the D65A-6 that i've got, what were they thinking of?
Josh H View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 6:08pm
What's not to love. I built my career and business around excavation and love it. Moving dirt is fun and my previous wife never did understand my love for equipment, its just steel to those people. If you ever get on a good size crawler you'll answer your own question!
220allis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 220allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2015 at 7:09pm
Pushed our k in the shop today spent some time on my 1850k case cummings 8.3 burying a junk pile this morning good theropy for sure makes me want all our old ones running got hd 7 of brothers to fix my ad6 cletrack to give some action to or a turboed td 14 in the thresher shed someday maybe we will have them all fixed up
Lee Bradley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee Bradley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 12:46pm
Nothing like the sound of a diesel on a hard pull and the smell of fresh turned dirt under fir and cedar forest.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic