This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New John Deer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubcap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New John Deer
    Posted: 15 Mar 2015 at 6:26pm
I saw the new john deer lawn tractors at lowes,,, they look really nice,,,, so new and shiny I wonder if they are chinese made
Sponsored Links

NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2015 at 6:50pm
I was looking at the JD dealer at a 1025.  That thing looked like it was atleast 50% plastic.  I've heard they crack alot.  I bet they are china made.
1955 WD45 S#205467, 190XT #6652 DXT
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2015 at 10:20pm
when i look up deere parts the riding mowers espesally on the 100 series        on john deere parts look up they have diffrant parts,   it will say on the look up                    [ only homedepot models]  so we have to watch close when we order.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 5:18am
When I'm in the box stores, I always pass around the equipment section just to take a gander at what's sittin' there. I guess I'm so used to my old tuff stuff, I look at how chinsey the pressed steel looks and how they're put together I just say to myself how long will that thing last? They do have shiny paint jobs tho, I'll give ya that. That's probably what helps make em' sell....
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 8:43am
i will take my 101 simplicity or 855 wheel horse  [ both1965] any day of the week over the stuff that comes here every day
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 1:02pm
they burn fast too!
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 8:35pm
SHAMLESS how fast do they burn ??
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 1:52pm
They are made by JD in the United States. That is the word from JD.
Tom
Dgrader View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dgrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 7:52pm
I had a Deere once. Once was enough.
Ya cain't fix stupid.
ctbowles58 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctbowles58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by NDBirdman NDBirdman wrote:

I was looking at the JD dealer at a 1025.  That thing looked like it was atleast 50% plastic.  I've heard they crack alot.  I bet they are china made.

I have a John Deere GT242 that I bought in 1996 its still a good mower but the hood cracked and fell apart from heat and vibration,it was a $4500.00 mower with a 45 cent hood.
190XT 2WD45 WF D15 D14 CA BIG10 302 & 303 bailers 77G rake 80R mower 6 plows and alot more
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 3:23am
well....a new one just thru sum sparks out and caught the grass on fire, while it's rider ran for a garden hose, the garden tractor caught fire, and while the owner was still looking for the hose, the grass burned over the the garage and it caught fire burning up 2 restored vehicles inside plus all his shop tools! was a very windy day, dunno why he was mowing short dead grass! I blame it on a city dude moving out to the country! said he bought the new JD this winter...guess he was itching to try it out! so....in the time he was running to find and hook up a garden hose, (and call the fire dept) he lost his yard, his new JD tractor, his garage/shop, his restored 1949 Ford and restored 1940 ford pickup and all his tools and equipment! the fire dept did save his house! the paper showed the pics....and yes...there is ALOT of plastic on the new JD garden tractors.
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 3:24am
Dgrader...yep...we made that mistake too!
LionelinKY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LionelinKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 6:44am
There were 2 separate lines of "100" series tractors. The 1st of course were the original L&G tractors from the 1960s-1970s such as 110s and 140s. Then in the 1990s I believe they used this designation again for their lawn tractors such as L130 and such. Does cause confusion for parts ordering but obviously they don't compare otherwise. 
I like to tease the green boys as much as any other AC nut but I also will give credit when credit is due. I have a 1984 JD 210 L&G I bought from my aunt and uncle's estate back in the late 1990s which makes me only the 2nd owner. It is still all original and has never failed me. I've even been impressed on more than 1 occasion with just what this thing is capable of pulling and pushing whether it is downed trees or 2' of snow. While I prefer running my AC B110, IMHO this JD 210 quaifies as just as bulletproof. I would put either 1 of them up against anything made nowadays.
"My name is Lionel and I'm an Allisoholic"
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 8:08am
If you're looking at a Home depot, it ain't the same JD as dealers sell. Better off going ot Farm and Fleet and buying a Ranch King.

http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 9:48am
The 'big box' distribution chain gets machines that are manufactured by MTD. Deere doesn't actually manufacture lawn tractors below like the 200-300 series or so.

My Dad has had six or seven green lawn tractors over the last 15 years... two were 100-series just prior to MTD, everything after have been the low-end Deere-made units. They mow... which is about all they're good for... and with the funky 'swinging deck' he had on two of 'em, they didn't mow very well. When mowing across a grade, the deck would drop one side's blade tips into the ground, and totally miss the other. He was too proud to mention it at first, but I brought my 60" Bobcat down last fall while he was recovering from surgery, and he noted how much nicer my deck did. He refuses to climb onto my ZTR, but he really, really should...
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 9:54am
And as a more relevant note...

With an exception of a 140 he had for a few months when I was very, very young, If my dad hooked up all of the other Deere 'tractors' he's owned, and chained them to his Dodge pickup, they would not be able to pull his pickup.

If I hooked all the Deere tractors he's owned, AND his Dodge pickup, to my IH Cub Cadet 109, it would pull them ALL, and survive it with no issues whatsoever. With appropriate tires and ballast, his 140 could have done that. That's the difference between a lawn tractor, and a garden tractor...
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
ACmowerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACmowerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 4:52pm
The "new" 100 Series are not made by MTD. They are made in a Deere facility in Tennessee. The are made to compete with MTD and Craftsman.

Article about Greenville factory:

Edited by ACmowerguy - 19 Apr 2015 at 4:54pm
10 various B-series garden tractors, AC Homesteader8, 416 hydro,710 gt, 914, 916H, 917H, 920D, and many misc attachments
Toscani NE SD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toscani NE SD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 9:51pm
those deere 100 series you see at lowes are the same 100 series at the john deere dealer,the local john deere sets them up for lowes!
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 6:53am
Originally posted by ACmowerguy ACmowerguy wrote:

The "new" 100 Series are not made by MTD. They are made in a Deere facility in Tennessee. The are made to compete with MTD and Craftsman.

Thanks for posting that link! I stand corrected. Well, I'm glad they're made in Greenville, I was saddened to see that Schwinn couldn't keep their operation solvent there, because the Greenville-made bicycles were very nice.

I can't say that I'm impressed with any of the 100-series that my Dad had, but then again, they're lawn tractors, not 'garden' tractors. They're trying to compete with MTD, which I think is substantially below what a customer would expect from green and yellow. I can't say any better for MTD-made Cub Cadet... nobody builds machines like they used-to- if they did, the 'disposable lifestyle' we live, would be forever altered.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 8:58am
they still have alot of diff parts and are shown in the jd ipl sold only at lowes home depot units the john deere dealer over inthe other valley does all of the lowes stuff no matter what color they are a big dealer over there
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic