This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My C Restoration (Update 9 July 16)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My C Restoration (Update 9 July 16)
    Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 6:09am
My early C Kerosine-burner is rough and has had a hard life.  She deserves a proper overhaul.  I realize that this tractor will never be worth any more than $2000 or so, but I really like restoring tractors.  She was running, but water was getting in to the crankcase somewhere--probably through a sleeve.  I began the teardown.  I will have many questions in the future! 

Edited by Hubnut - 09 Jul 2016 at 8:44pm
1940 B "Lucy"
1941 B w/ Woods L59 "Flavia"
1942 B w/ finish mower "Dick"
1941 C w/ 3-point "Maggie"
1947 C SFW w/ L306 "Trixie"
1972 314H
Sponsored Links

B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 6:43am
Tractor restoration does add up to some real money BUT as I tell people it's my hobby. A few years ago I had just finished a RC and drove it up to the house to show it off to the wife, she looked out the window at it and asked "how much is it worth" to which I answered "maybe $2500" she then asked "how much do we have in it" and I answered $3500.   A couple years latter I sold it for $2400 so I was real close on the estimate. To me the big payout is the enjoyment of working on them, making friends who share the same interest, and satisfaction of looking/useing them after they are like new again.    Keep us posted on your progress!!
sandman2234 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 6:48am
I think that the side engine weights "bolt" needs a longer bolt and a short piece of pipe to make them stay on. The short piece of pipe acts as a bushing.
   Tear down looks like fun!
  David from jax
A proud member of the Allis Express movement!
               Northeast Florida
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 7:35am
Hey,
 It looks a whole lot warmer down there!
Nice project you have started too. Yea don't count up the dollars as these do take on a life of there own.
The first tractor I bought was a very nice gray and red Ford Jubilee. The owner bought it from a guy that said he had over $7,000 into it. I bought it for $4000 and it is a good tractor and has not needed many things. So you can buy them cheaper than you can build them. But I like to fix them also. So that's why I am here to learn about AC machines.
Please keep us posted of your progress.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 8:53am
any hobby is gonna cost ya money!
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 9:36am
And if it has family history then a $2500 tractor could cost you $10000 by the time it's finished and I would consider that money well spent. Very few will get rich restoring tractors, for most of us it's a labor of love.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 10:12am
You never make money doing a "proper" restoration.  You do it for the love of doing it and the feeling of preserving history. You might be able to make some money doing a 30 minute paint job, but I do not consider that restored at all.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 10:58am
It will be much cheaper and much less frustrating than chasing a little white ball around a cowpasture!

Edited by PaulB - 07 Mar 2015 at 10:59am
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 5:52pm
Thanks for all the comments.  I made some progress today.  I can't get the dang the brake drums off the pinion shaft.  Any suggestions.  Tractor is missing a bunch of stuff and it's been ridden hard and hung up wet.  May be just a parts tractor really.  I need to think about it. 

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 6:11pm
On B & C tractors there is a set screw with a jam nut that holds the brake drums to the pinion shaft. You have to go in through the hole in the bottom of the axle housing.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 6:25pm
Like Paul said there is a setscrew you can get out from the bottom. After the set screw is out I use a hydraulic press to the shaft out. the square key takes a nice slice out of the seal but you will need to replace it anyway. It the housing was full of trash causing a lot of rust on the shaft I scale it off the best I can before pressing it out.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 7:51pm
I'll give it another lash tomorrow.  While I'm asking, how do you get the brake pivot out?  I see a through hole to drive one pin out, but the pivot has no corresponding hole.  
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 9:01pm
You have to make it.

Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 5:10am
Doh! Got it.  Thank you sir.
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 8:28am
If you lived closer to Henderson Texas You could find any and all the missing pieces you need for your C except for kerosene engine parts. I also have complete 1947 C ready to reassemble if your interested. This C drove absolutely great before tear down for painting. $600 loaded on your trailer. New Battery box and brakes and C parts book. I would love you to have it.
Or anyone else for that matter.                          Kenny
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 4:37pm
Those pins didn't come out easy.  I got 3 out.  One I had to cut and punch the pieces out.  Didn't mess with the brake drum.  I need to ruminate on it a bit.  Got all the pieces sorted and parts bagged.  Now the really hard part starts.  
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 4:38pm
Kenny,
I'd take you up on that off if you were closer.  Thank you.
Hubnut
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 6:34am
What? No snow? What's up wit' dat?? LOL!
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 8:17am
Well dad left us with his very first and last tractors, so they have sentimental value. The 1948 C I decided to fix up under a "whatever it takes mandate".

Tally so far parts and supplies from tires/wheels and sheet metal
to nuts and bolts and paint is $5340.

Currently spending money on the cultivator system, shanks and such.

And oh, did I forget to mention I didn't touch the inside of the engine, it needs rebuild. I figure that will be $2500.

The shop had been "raided" over the years by relatives. Not a single
tire changing tool could be found for instance.
I decided to "go for it" tool wise and buy air compressor and sandblast cabinet air tools and other tools, floor jacks... Tool total=$5700
Now under lock and key.

Time spent working I would estimate at 600 hours, countless trips to hunt for parts and tools and supplies and time on the web.

My idea of fun.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 9:21am
Hubnut. I made a brake drum puller using 3/4 allthread, nuts, washers and a 5x5 piece of 3/4 plate drilled with the appropriate holes. With the finals off and the set bolt out of the drum, work nuts and washers under the drum and thread 2 foot long allthreads thru opposite holes in the drum. Slide the pulling block over the allthread and secure with nuts and washers. center block on end of axle so as to pull drum up and out of the housing. I hope you can visualize how this homemade puller works. It helps to clean and lube up the axle shaft as best as you can before trying to pull the drum over a rusty axle. As you tighten the nuts some heat on the drum hub helps. A good rap on the block under tension to get the drum loose and moving helps. Once broke loose it goes pretty easy. I have broken a few drums using this puller but 9 out of 10 come out in one piece. Good luck

If your old axle seals are ok you can work a set of new brake bands in place without pulling the drums.

Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 4:02pm
Ken,
Thanks.  Can you tell me what seal your talking about?  The only seal I see is the one on the hub stub shaft, just outside the bearing.  Thanks.
Steve (hubnut)
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2015 at 5:55pm
Got the pinion shaft out.  Unfortunately the brake drum broke in the process.  Did a few things this weekend.  The main transmission shaft is really worn and needs a replacement. A few parts ready for the powdercoater. 

Edited by Hubnut - 15 Mar 2015 at 5:56pm
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2015 at 5:58pm
A few more

Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2015 at 7:18pm
Your getting there!
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2015 at 8:27pm
Thanks for the help Dick.  It's going slow, but been fun.  
sandman2234 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2015 at 11:31pm
Does look like it is coming along nicely!
David from jax
A proud member of the Allis Express movement!
               Northeast Florida
rasman57 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rasman57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 6:07am
You are into it now for sure.    Enjoy the process.   Your attention to detail is evident so it will be fun to watch.   You will be preserving and restoring another one...well done....keep sharing your hard work!
ACJohn View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 6:37am
Nice looking repair on that tapped hole!  Had to do the same on a G.  Now, that worn spline on the other hand...good luck!
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 8:48am
Great pictures and work you are doing on the C!
Repairing that broken out hole looks real good.
Will you sand blast the parts you have masked, then powder coat?
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 8:58am
Humm. With the hundreds of old Cs in pretty decent shape out there I would have been looking for something in more complete and better shape to restore. I do admire your spunk to take on something run that hard and put up that wet.
Make me a list of parts you know you need and I will assemble a pile of pieces on a pallet and we can figure a way to move the pallet from Texas to Florida by AC parts express.
   Sandman from Jax got some rare B fenders moved from YX to FL using AC express delivery.
   I have a good C tranny ready to go and final drives too if your interested. 12 cents a pound. I will toss in a extra Brake drum for free.
   Is your powder coater able to match PO#1. What us purist AC restorers notice the most is the wrong color orange. However. It's your C and you can paint it blue if you like blue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic