This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new to pulling allis 301 diesel could use some hel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwbigbaddodge540hp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new to pulling allis 301 diesel could use some hel
    Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 1:10pm
Good afternoom from ARK, well heres how my new tractor stands as of right know, stuck needs radiator and turbo and lines it was parked 5 years ago due to the need of a  rad and turbo, im working on getting it unstuck going to rering it and put new mains and rods in it beccause it will just be a puller, going to rebuild the head completly do some cleaning on the ports while i have it down, heres the ? its got 5200 hours on it do i need to reduild the head all the way or just valve job it sureface it ? moving on im thinking  of a stock turbo for right know just going to turn the pump up all the way and pull it, how would it pull with the set up it will just be  pulling at brush pulls? this tractor is a 190 xt serial number 1973 xtd,  is this a series 3 tractor   it has no landhandler deacls on it either but it has a two speed pto with the disengage lever on the left side of the seat like you are sitting on it i read that this  is a rare thing is it? the tires are at 75% life front and back there 18.4x34 , this tractor was given to me for in trade of putting a front idler in a casse 855 dozer so i really dont have much in it as far as money goes just a few hours time, i have baled hay with it for many days on end pd seams fine and trans doesnt jump out of gear, where is good place the get the supply line and drain for the turbo and a radiator for it used and how about a turbo as well, im looking forward to geting it going agian and getting back in to pulling know that my son is older i used to pull a nice h but sold it a few months back and when i was younger i pulled diesel trucks,  thank you all for any help sorry it was so long of a post just got lots of  ???
Sponsored Links

Mike Plotner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Plotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 4:51pm
when I re-did the turbo and pump on our 190 this fall, I had extremely good luck by find a BRAND NEW ONE on a tractor at a salvage yard. got it for a used price! $390! guy had just put it on along with new tires and other stuff but the engine knocked, so the guy just sent it to the bone yard. I would say a good place to get the lines would be any tractor salvage yard. there is a few place to buy new turbos, $425 was about the cheapest stock one I found on the internet. sounds like it would also make a really nice working tractor too!
2001 Gleaner R42, 1978 7060, 1977 7000, 1966 190 XT, 1966 D-17 Series IV and 1952 WD and more keep my farm running!
jwbigbaddodge540hp View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwbigbaddodge540hp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 5:45pm
I think so also for just every day farm work feeding cows and brush hoging, i found a 7000 turbo today used on e bay for a pretty nice deal scraping  the tractor out what a shame 200 buck shipped so i got that i can always make the lines for it using hyd hose and fittings to do  that all the time here at work on the 5.9 cummins, im going to check the tractor salvage yard in high hope of finding  a radiator for it, the pump seamed strong when i last drove it bailing  hay 6 years ago, can you tell me is it a series 3 or just a plan jane 190 xt? what is away you can tell the differnce in them? how does your 190 start for you?  this always had to have a shot of either first start of the day if it was 50 or so. who would be a good shop to send the injectors to for biger tips and to have them popped, who can get the fuel out of the stock rossa master pump for me yet keep it some what able to be  used on the farm? thanks james
7040 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 6:43pm
Gunther heritage diesel goes by (injpumped)on here.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 7:16am
Thanks for the referral Keith! Did you try getting the turbo drain line off the same 7000 your used turbo came from? I do set up quite a few fuel systems just like you're going to be doing. Prices vary depending on what kind of shape your pump and injectors are in now. pm for more pricing details. Oh, and I would have suggested a 7030-7060 turbo, since it is slightly larger. There's others on here who know all the actual housing and wheel sizes. A turbo expert I am not. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
BPM75 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BPM75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 7:28am
Are you sure there is not another digit in that serial #, because 1973 would make it a 64 model straight 190. First xt # 2849 built Jan 65. A series III will have flat top fenders w/ dual headlights, and serial # of
23001 and up.      
59 D17 gas nf, 66 XT 190, 69 220.
jwbigbaddodge540hp View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwbigbaddodge540hp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 9:08am
Thank you all so much for the help with this tractor it is a series 3 tractor, Ed Ill be getting a hold of you for pump and injector work im just looking for some zest how many cc can you get from the stock head on that pump? i got a hold of the man with the turbo and got all the lines give to me for it, who know something about a allis chalmers 3500 turbo i have a reman one of them to give to me from work we use to have a allis chalmers back up generator here at work and its been on the self for years not used, the generator is long gone we have a small kitty cat know 3412 Wink, how would that turbo run for me with enough fuel didnt the d21 use this engine? whats the air ratio on this  compered to  the 7000 turbo i have got as well could i even get on top of it or be under it all the time, for what i understand about diesel tractors and have read you what to be on the top edge of yor turbo all the time is this corect? sorry for the long post just read to learn some stuff about this all, i will have to pull it at north ark rusty wheels club if they will let mesince i have a turbo ill pull in the open class im sure not a hole lot of pulls left in Ark. if i go to the flat land the pull smokers all the time but i dont know if i could be competitve with them, any one on here  from Ark that pulls diesels?
Mike Plotner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Plotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 5:24pm
ours has always started well to about 40 or so. then a sniff of go juice helps. if it gets to about 20 a oil pan heater is a must! but we are in north central Ohio! I think the serial number should be like 190III if it is a series three but don't hold me too it! I do know that it should have the cross hatch pattern on the back of the rear axles though. the D21 has the bigger 426 cube 3500 engine, while the 190 has a 301 cube 2900 engine. for regular field work, you don't need to keep the engine completely wound up. the screw on the top left and side of the pump can be adjusted to give more fuel without too much work and its easy to return to stock. but with a little machining lots can be done. my grandpa built a 180 pulling tractor by adding a turbo and doing some machining to allow more fuel. it made 300 horse...
2001 Gleaner R42, 1978 7060, 1977 7000, 1966 190 XT, 1966 D-17 Series IV and 1952 WD and more keep my farm running!
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 10:10pm
There are alot of turbos out there that will work better than what was on a 301 or 426. A Switzer 3LM466 is a good turbo.    MACK
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic