This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Splitter gears

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juiceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Splitter gears
    Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 8:29pm
I know of the Sherman kits for wc's, and m&w and heisler kits for farmalls, but is there a way to split gears in a wd45. Don't want to do the wc trani in front, but would like some kind of option. The reason I'm interested is because a big cubed Farmall M with Splitter gears recently followed the dodge home, and I like the options. I don't remember the percentage the half gears are above direct drive, but they seem like they will come in very helpful to have. WIll the Sherman kits work for a 45?
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 6:34am
The M&W kits for the Farmall's didn't s split the gears but speeded them up. Depending on which option was chosen 1st could be faster than 4th
Juiceman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juiceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 6:37am
Well the M has actual half gears the guy bought off Gary Baker that speed it up a certain percentage in each gear. Thats what i'm interested in.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 10:19am
I know of an IH "M" that has gears from an "M" and "Super M" in the same tranny. I think he's got like M-2nd...SM-2nd.....M-3rd.....SM-3rd... etc. I'm currently trying to build a two-speed unit for a WD/WD45 and have the plans all drawn up. My only problem at this point is finding someone who is willing to build the gears for me at a price that I think is affordable. I don't think $6,000 for four gears is an affordable item.
Juiceman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juiceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 10:30am
Yes that is how our M is. All i really want with the wd45 is something close to the reductions of the diesel first gear, gas first gear, and diesel second gear. Already use the diesel 1st and second, and would like a gear in between. I don't remember the two shafts as far as which gear went with what on the counter shaft as far as if a guy could just alter 3rd or something. I have heard of that a lot with like the John Deere 820's; guys are changing third to in between 1st and 2nd. Just have the gears for third on bith shafts made for the correct reduction desired. I don't know if thats feasable or not i understand two cylinder trani's are a different ball game.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 11:22am
My design plan is a 15% reduction and direct drive additional gearbox to be placed where the hand clutch used to be. This would give you 15% slower 1st-2nd-3rd and 4th.........also leave you with normal 1st-2nd-3rd and 4th. The 15% speed reduction is perfect to give "in-between" speed selections. Could be made into an overdrive, but that's not what I want.
Juiceman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juiceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 11:36am
I think if a guy could get the design working good and proven those things would sell like hot cakes in the allis community. The stocker guys could step up to bigger tires, and the bigger engines would have more options to choose from. It'd be nice for sure.
mattb View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 8:20am
its cheaper to stroke an engine than have custom gears made. A small planetary gearset out of an automatics trans would fit in clutch housing making it where you can have more than one gear out of it would be the trick.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 9:06am
Generally, any planetary you're talking about will have a 25% or more speed reduction, which is pretty much a duplication of speeds.
mattb View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 9:48am
just checked the manual on my ford truck 2nd gear is 1.55 to 1 which is 50% slower. No easy way to do it that's why I started putting wc trans in front of them.
Juiceman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juiceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 10:01am
If you ran the wc trani and left it in 4th gear would you be loosing any efficiency? I know you would in other gears, but what about 4th since its direct drive. And I kind if disagree about the stroking and not worrying about it. Our tractor is stroked and are still looking for options. Lol
mattb View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 10:53am
you would lose a little because your still spinning some gears but it would be a lot less than spinning a hand clutch assy.
Juiceman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juiceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 10:56am
Well i might call talk to the guy out in washington who did it. I think the only club that won't allow it i know of is Natpa atleast from what i've heard i have never asked The tech official. Which we only pull with them twice a year so we could just leave the allis home i suppose.
mattb View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 2:32pm
its pretty easy to domake a bracket to hold your brake shaft and I used the splined coupler out the back of a wc trans has the same splines as wd input shaft
Juiceman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juiceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 3:20pm
So do have it on your tractor?
mattb View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 3:31pm
ive done 3 of them
Juiceman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juiceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 3:33pm
Do you have the shaft coming out of the wc trani into the 45 trani enclosed in a tube or something or is it visible with sealed bearings?
mattb View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 3:43pm
I made them with a piece of pipe between so I didn't have to worry ab sealing around the shafts
Juiceman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juiceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 3:52pm
Ok. So did you have to do anything special with the shafts or the bearings? Like if i rember right there is a bearing and gear in the front part of the toque tube. Is all of that taken car of with the front trans?
mattb View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 4:03pm
had to cut half inch off back shaft and all the gears are in the handclutch housing
mattb View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 8:23am
do you already have a diesel ring and pinion?
Juiceman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juiceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 8:59am
Yea. Regret it. Because at 3.5mph 1st is to slow with 15.5s. We can jump to 2nd in the 4000 at low rpm and sometimes the 4500, but run out of power in the 4500 on a good track. 1200rpm is hard on the girl. So yea
I wish we had the gas rearend back, but already sold the gas rear.
mattb View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 9:15am
I haven't put one in a tractor with diesel rear end it would prob b too slow unless you run the front one in fourth until you get into the 4500 then put both trans in 3rd. cant tell you for sure if that would be any faster than first gear with a diesel rear which is what I think your wanting.
Juiceman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juiceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 11:14am
Yea that is what i'm wanting. Well it gives you all those gears to play with i'm sure some combination would work.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic