This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD15 RESTORATION HAS BEGUN

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD15 RESTORATION HAS BEGUN
    Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 10:41pm
Ok, so this is the current project to go under the wrench and to the paint booth (that would be an organic outside paint booth weather permitting) It's been sitting where we parked it when we picked it up in November. photo P1190004_zpsqmtbpk09.jpg
I'll post the link at the end if I can make it work for members who didn't get to see the adventure to retrieve it. We gave it a push with the 7G to get it over to the wash hose photo P1190006_zpsnpqje5ve.jpg
Of course being a detroit it fired right up. (needed to steer) photo P1190007_zpsrre3wcsw.jpg
Standard restoration procedure starts with a bath with the 1-1/2'' fire hose nozzle photo P1190011_zpsbt6vbarq.jpg
It works good. It has about 90 PSI and washes off all the big chunks and the rest of the rat nests that the leaf blower didn't get in the original startup photo P1280007_zpsjwugwpgd.jpg
So, then it was out of the bath tub and a couple of days later dismantling the big parts photo P1280012_zpsery5dnvu.jpg
The canopy needs some re fabrication and repairs. The tank guard is tweaked enough that we're going to replace it with one in better shape from a donor tractor. David will be sand blasting most of these parts before he paints. photo P1300016_zpswh4ioseh.jpg
So that being said the sandblast and paint shop has also opened photo P1300019_zpsjvuweciq.jpg
David remembers the HD5 project 2 years ago had a lot smaller parts to sand blast and paint. We might opt for a bigger portable compressor before we're done photo P1300021_zpslawdnam4.jpg
But we got a truck load of sand bags. photo P1300022_zpsn7to58zp.jpg
It got a couple more wash jobs with the hot pressure washer before moving to the shop. photo P1300024_zpsehdafmsv.jpg
I actually fixed the starter solenoid and started it to move this time photo P1300025_zpszitwyg7m.jpg
Most everything is working almost right. We'll put it up on some blocks so we can get under it to work, wash, paint. photo P1300026_zps99aj3vvn.jpg
The first thing we're planning to do is a new head gasket. The previous owner thought he was having a problem. Also ordered a new water pump today that appeared to be leaking.

So, we pulled this off 2 years ago restoring the Core HD5 to take to the Redwood Region Logging Conference  antique equipment display and for some reason we think we can do it again with this HD15 (but man all these pieces are twice as big!!) It's not till the third week in March and we think the HD5 and the big brother HD15 would be a good show.

I'll try to post the forum links for members that might have missed them.

http:// www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=97198&KW=&PID=773500&title=hd-15-to-ac-collection#773500

If that worked it would be the link for retrieving the HD15

These other links would be retrieving,restoring and showing the Core HD5 2 years ago
http:// www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=62066&KW=&PID=485175&title=hd5-dozer-for-restoration#485175

http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=64995&KW=&PID=510463&title=hd5-dozer-restoration-has-begun#510463

http:// www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65907&KW=&PID=517837&title=hd5-restoration-paint-shop-is-open#517837

http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66486&KW=&PID=522251&title=hd-5-restoration-almost-complete#522251

http:// www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66714&KW=&PID=524321&title=hd-5-restoration-complete-its-showtime#524321

http:// www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=67420&KW=&PID=530238&title=hd-5-6-at-the-2013-redwood-region-logging-conferen#530238

Sponsored Links

AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 10:45pm
Ok, it looks like only 2 of those links work. I'll work on that later??
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 1:06am
Good stuff Mel.
After I`ve rebuilt my tractors, they look about how yours do BEFORE you start work on them!
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 9:06am
It's always a pleasure reading and viewing your threads, Mel. Still looking forward to having the time and money to make it out there to see all of this stuff firsthand! Darrel
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 9:58am
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 2:40am
Great pics boys; cheers for sharing them with us; you guys do great work
cheers from kiwiland
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
marion View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 7:03pm
looks to be sight glasses on aircleaners on hd15,

what are those??

have seen them on other videos, just wondering

thanks
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 7:55am
Thanks for sharing your  photos of the HD15 restore.
Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 10:21pm
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 10:46pm
Ok, I'll try that again. We got the head off and didn't find any serious problems other than the forklift wouldn't fit under the shop and lift the head at the same time. (had to make an adjustment) photo P2080001_zpsdb4ok1pl.jpg
It was pretty easy to clean up and it didn't show any signs of unwanted water intrusions photo P2080005_zpsglv0vqq6.jpg
we put it back on with a new water pump that started leaking while it was sitting photo P2080007_zpshjobrsf1.jpg
 photo P2080004_zps0kjox4z6.jpg
Took it for a hot lap. We had also drained all the other oils and put some old diesel in the transmission / finals to rinse and flush everything out photo P2190046_zpsyvw6wxge.jpg
We needed to drain the diesel out of the fuel tank cause it had been in there for maybe 30 years (it looked like red diesel, but that was before they made it) photo P2190048_zpsy2czfp2b.jpg
All that went as expected. It pretty much ran out of all the finals and everywhere else it might leak. But it did flush everything out when we drained it again. photo P2190050_zpsjcossusr.jpg
The paint shop is open now so I'll get some of that posted soon
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 4:08pm
Thanks Mel, for taking the time to post the pictures and comments that go along with them. When we see everything that relates to your projects ..... shop resources, nice weather, expertise and your productive way of getting the job done in short order...it all adds up to what dwells only in the wildest imagination for so many of us. It does me so good (and many others I'm sure) to see you do what we dream about. It comes so naturally for you, I'm sure without much thinking. Your generous way of sharing with us what you do gives the feeling that we are included. Hats off to you and your helper(s)!!!!!
Eric
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
R.KYLE View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.KYLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 8:41pm
MEL WHAT MAKE IS THE WINCH ON YOUR HD15
Josh H View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 9:07pm
This makes me excited to look at an L crawler for sale this weekend!
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 10:51pm
Eric, Thanks for the nice comments. Yes, it is a lot of work, Yes it is a lot of fun. We still have are day jobs to keep going too. This is usually the best time of year for us to pull this off. Especially having to do most of it outside. The weathers been good for the project but we need more rain. Reassembly has started, so maybe we'll getter done.

Roy, Both the rear winch and the front cable control are CARCO. The CARCO brand was popular for ACs in the 1950s in this area.

I'll try to start a new post soon since orange paint is now showing up in the yard.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 9:43am
Ac Mel sure appreciate your sharing pictures. As far as red diesel, I sold that as premium diesel fuel starting in 1974. Hauled millions of gallons of it to the farmers. I guess all that has changed now.
R.KYLE View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.KYLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 10:53am
MEL WOULD THE REAR WINCH BE A J120 CARCO
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 9:32am
Roy, The CARCO winch is a G model (G4) direct drive or sliding gear. The CARCO J120 is a bigger winch and might also be powershift.
hd16b View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hd16b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 8:06pm
Mel I am looking for a winch to put on my 16b.I think the winch like is on your 15 would work perfect,I know my machine is a power shift but with the modulating clutch I think I can use it like a direct drive.
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 1:59am
G80 PS winches should be easier to get hold of.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 10:43am
Doug, Yes a direct drive winch like that would work on the HD16B. (we've done that before with dd on powershift 11B). Mactractor is right though, a GS 80PS would be the proper fit and make a nice unit.
Those are still out there if you look.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 12:14pm
Mel,
Great posts on your work.
I have a small loader dozer (off brand IH) model TD6. I have had it a year and only moved it from its original farm to my daughters place.
It is very worn, maybe worn out? It did move under its own power after some coaxing.
interesting engine starts on gas and then switch over to diesel.
All systems seem to work but sloppy and worn. We did a little work and run the right track off. So we know those are loose too.
Trying to decide what to do with this unit? Any suggestions? I know these tracked units can be money pits too.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
hd16b View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hd16b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 2:31pm
Mel,I also am looking for some bang pads like are on your 15.WHen I push a side load my track hits the pushbeam.THe parts book does not show one but I have seen them on the b machines.WOnder if one off an older 16 would work.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 10:32pm
Chris, I'm not sure what model of TD6 you have.We're familiar with some International tractors. The TD6 is a very popular tractor in Ca. There are lots of them still working in the farming community. We got a TD6 dozer from a cousin in trade for some construction work once. It had been sitting for many years and we were sure with our expertise we could rebuild it and trade or sell it for something AC ORANGE. (LOL). I got it started an drove it almost 3 miles with 1 steering clutch working (said a lot of bad words) on the way.   photo td6 002_zpszh9zdiuw.jpg
It had a really nice straight blade with a hydraulic tilt also. We got the steering clutches out, found a donor tractor for parts. But for us it just wasn't as user friendly to work on as our ACs. (but that's all we know). But since you ask, if you can do all the work yourself, it would be ok, parts are still available out there. It's a nice little tractor if you can fix it up. Truth be known the people that took this one actually took it for the blade and hydraulics, they had 4 of them already ,but no blades.  So when we dispatched it we used our big forklift that we use to move concrete septic tanks. photo td6 004_zpsj6uulqor.jpg

Doug, I know what you're talking about with the "bang pads".  Ironically this HD15 has an angle blade with a C frame where that wear doesn't cause a problem. I'm sure there are some out there for the16B series. But judging from the photos you've sent me you could do this in your shop. They bolt on to the front idler,where it slides, I'll see if I can find some more info and get it to you.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 8:19pm
Mel,
Sorry to go off topic on you here.

Thanks for the remarks on a non orange unit. I think the TD6 I have might be just a little smaller than the one you show in the pictures. Mine is a early 50 machine. I like the way you loaded the TD6!
Here are a couple shots as I was getting it started.

Does it take two men to run one of these?

I had fun just getting a different machine running.

Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
scooter01922 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scooter01922 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 3:41pm
Hi chris, not a bad looking little guy you got there. If you want more info, advice or anything head HERE http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/index.php?s=2b3d0704272169eddb092c2f4a8bccac&showforum=9
I usually hang out there but since i bought a 653 recently just joined up here. Its a great bunch of guys that know everything there is to know about IH equipment.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic