This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Finally got my WC, some assembly required......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 5:33am
Marv look at the steering shaft u-joint as now would be a great time to change it while the engine is out. Also the worm gear is held on the shaft with a pin and I have seen these loose. On the bottom of bolster shaft the spindles are keyed to bolster shaft and this big key is probably a little worn. These are the easier things to fix. A little wear here and there and it all adds up.   Mark
Sponsored Links

BenGiBoy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenGiBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 7:38am
The looseness of the steering wheel is just from wear in the steering box, probably. I have been told that they can be adjusted, but then you mess up the wear pattern and it binds, so it is just better to leave it how it is. JMHO..
'39 Model B
Tractors are cheaper than girls, remember that!
littlemarv View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 9:41am
When I visited Ken this spring, he mentioned putting oversize pins in the shift tower?

The shifter felt pretty good, actually, before I took it off the tractor. I removed it because the reverse interlock linkage was rusted and froze tight. A little soak with some homebrew penetrant and it freed right up. I was just going to put a new boot on and reassemble, but I thought I'd take a peek at those pins.

However, I cant get the shift lever out. I removed the snap ring and pulled this spacer out from above the ball, but the lever wont come out. Am I missing something else?

Edited by littlemarv - 25 Aug 2017 at 10:18pm
The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 10:11am
flip it over, you will  need to take the reverse lockout mechanism and spring off before it will come out.  fun to do with rails and forks on

Edited by CAL(KS) - 13 May 2016 at 10:13am
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 10:48am
As I was trying to get it out, it crossed my mind that that mechanism must be involved somehow.

Well, new boot and new gasket and back on she goes. Not going to dig into it at this time. Thanks.

B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 3:48pm
Marv if you ever do take the shift rails out of the shifter top be VERY CAREFULL of the detent balls as they can come flying out at warp speed due to the fact that they are under spring tension.
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 3:51pm
Marv have you checked the wear items I listed in regard to the steering yet? If so what have you found?     Mark
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 7:33pm
Well, the u-joint has a little play, and actually the pin that holds the yoke on has a little play too. Haven't looked into the pedestal itself yet.

I hope to pressure wash the entire chassis and bring it in the garage sometime in the next few weeks. Garage has been rather busy. Two weeks ago, block garage sale. One week ago, painted the topper for the truck. This weekend, Courtney's birthday party. Next two weekends, camping. Every weekday, work all day, pick up kids, do homework, make supper, then at least one sporting event if not two. I don't know how we got so busy, but I sneak in a little tractor tinkering here and there.

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by littlemarv littlemarv wrote:

Well, the u-joint has a little play, and actually the pin that holds the yoke on has a little play too. Haven't looked into the pedestal itself yet.

I hope to pressure wash the entire chassis and bring it in the garage sometime in the next few weeks. Garage has been rather busy. Two weeks ago, block garage sale. One week ago, painted the topper for the truck. This weekend, Courtney's birthday party. Next two weekends, camping. Every weekday, work all day, pick up kids, do homework, make supper, then at least one sporting event if not two. I don't know how we got so busy, but I sneak in a little tractor tinkering here and there.

Your 'livin" Marv! Good job!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 8:45pm
This is a great post. I hope it inspires me to get back on mine. The steering was very loose on mine. The biggest problem was the keyway in the bottom of the main shaft where the spindle block goes was wore bad. I finally bought another used pedistal and used the best parts from each. I was able to get bearings and races through NAPA. Keep up the good work and thanks for taking the time to share pics with us when time is so valuable.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 12:32am
Alright, its go time. I told Courtney to get on the tractor and steer, I would pull with the 416, and Carter could take a few pictures. Carter let out a screech and the argument was on! We tried rock paper scissors, pick a number, 7 and 10 year old logic, bargaining, but nothing seemed to yield results suitable to all parties involved. Finally, I told both of them to get on the tractor, Courtney steer, and Carter work the brakes. Finally! Peace returns!

So I had to take the damn picture.

Pulled it in the garage, installed some guide studs, and plunked the shift tower into place.

Scraped gunk for awhile, found some pretty nice paint inside the framerails.

I removed this piece. The only thing good on the toolbox is the hole...

Fired up the pressure washer.

Before

After

Hold up! Today is the last day of school. This calls for ice cream. Everybody pull up a chair.

Scraped out the bellhousing, and went in after the trans input seal. Removed the clutch return spring, the fork keeper, the throwout bearing, the fork jam bolt, and pivoted the fork down out of the way. Removed the sleeve over the input shaft, only to find out there is no input seal. The shaft is spiral grooved to keep the oil in. I told my dealer I had an unstyled WC and they sent a cork seal about 2" in diameter, but that must be for a styled one?

But, at any rate, I got to see how it all comes apart, and inspect and grease everything. Replaced the throwout bearing.

Edited by littlemarv - 25 Aug 2017 at 10:25pm

patrickmull View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickmull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 5:43am
look at that wide foot plate in the middle looking good i just got mine done

Edited by patrickmull - 03 Jun 2016 at 5:45am
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 5:49am
Allis always had the spiral with the cork or felt seals, it helps work the oil back away from the seal.
My 41 WC had a felt seal with a steel guard
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 5:55am
Originally posted by patrickmull patrickmull wrote:

look at that wide foot plate in the middle looking good i just got mine done

What is the tank and platform on the front used for? I haven't seen anything like that and as far as it hangs out in front it must have a good purpose.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 7:36am
Well, I need to be sure on the tranny seal. The seal that I got is about 1/8" thick, 2" O.D., and 1 1/8" I.D. I didn't see any remnants of an old seal, or anyplace for the seal to actually go. There is a thin steel sleeve that goes over the input shaft, and has a flat flange on it that bolts to the front of the tranny with two 3/8" bolts. The part number on the seal is 70202086.

My tranny does look like the picture in the post above, do I have the right seal?

Any ideas?

Edited by littlemarv - 03 Jun 2016 at 7:40am

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 8:00am
wc should have the felt or cork whatever it was and wd and up have a rubber lip seal.  both numbers are listed in the agco parts book.  if i remember correctly the seal is clamped between the  thin sleeve and bellhousing.  when we put a starter bellhousing on my brothers 38 we used a wd bellhousing and seal holder.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickmull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 11:10am
that's a pulling tractor that's my fuel tank and weight bracket 
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 12:10pm
So you don't use the normal gas tank? Just curious.   Thought it might be a weight bracket of some kind.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickmull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 2:37pm
No I wanted to get as much weight out front as I could with as much engine as i have I have trouble keeping the front end down
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 3:50pm
When I bought my seal from Sandy Lake it was felt, if you take the AGCO part number it crosses out to a rubber seal, I'd call the folks at Sandy Lake and ask them.
By my parts book and all my pictures, you should have the felt seal in the recess, the seal retainer over it (the piece in my above pic) and the throwout bearing tube bolting down and holding it all in place.
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 12:46am
Dove back in to look at that trans input seal. Pulled the sleeve off the input shaft,

Poked around in there a bit, sure enough, there is a steel washer and a rock hard piece of cork in there.

So, cleaned that out and installed a new seal.

There are actually two small holes 90 degrees from the mount holes on the sleeve, must be weep holes.

So, got that up to snuff. Only thing left before the motor goes in is the steering u-joint. If I can tighten it up there a bit, I can eliminate 3" of steering slop. Took the u-joint out. Never saw one like this before. No caps, just has pins through it?

Anyways, I have an extra one from a WD laying around, so I popped that one apart. Will have to try and find one locally tomorrow, as it will be holding up progress...

Cleaned up the input shaft, made sure the disk slides nicely and the pilot bearing fits.

Edited by littlemarv - 25 Aug 2017 at 10:37pm

Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 2:47am
That is comming along nice. You will be driving it around before you know it. Nicely done.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 10:37pm

I seem to remember the steering joint runs pretty close to the block. I installed two 3/8" by 2" bolts, then ground the heads down and cut the excess off. Looks good.

Edited by littlemarv - 25 Aug 2017 at 10:39pm

KenBWisc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KenBWisc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 8:28am
Roll pins work well. I also ran safety wire through the pins just in case they decided to move. 
'34 WC #629, '49 G, '49 B, '49 WD, '62 D-19, '38 All Crop 60 and still hunting!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 10:21pm
Cleaning out the gas tank. Install 20 3/8" nuts, 5 5/8" nuts, a gallon of diesel fuel, and a plug in the bottom....

YES, I counted the nuts so we get them all back.

Apply tank to tractor wheel, with a wooden buffer....

Yet another reason why you need more than one tractor!

And, cruise up and down the road in first gear repeatedly.

I've never done this before, read about it on here a few times. I moved the tank to different positions and changed the fuel twice. Got a lot of crap out of it. I guess, in my mind, I thought it would be shiny new inside when done. Its not, but at least everything loose should have come out now instead of heading to the carb! Still picked up an extra screen for the sediment bowl, just in case.

Edited by littlemarv - 25 Aug 2017 at 10:49pm

dawntreader74 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawntreader74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 11:00pm
now you can put a small hose on the shop vac an sure get it all out' works good
alleyyooper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alleyyooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 4:47am
Ya got the tank off and all, so myself I would just go ahead and coat it and not worry about any thing coming loose later.

Al
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 10:26pm
Sorry fellows, been pretty busy with life in general. Going to Hutch last weekend was just the kick I needed to get back on task here.

Slow progress....

The radiator turned into a bit of a struggle. Turns out the bottom tank had a crack in it. I took it to the local radiator shop for repair. He said he could repair it no problem. Over a few weeks, he called me once a week and every week his tone got lower and lower. Finally, he said come and get it, I can't fix it, its crammed full of sealer and all the seams are leaking, its junk. Luckily, in the meantime, I caught wind of a fellow who repairs radiators on the weekends and can fix just about anything, especially ones the first guy said are beyond repair. So, I went and picked it up from the first guy (and paid way too much for nothing) and took it to the second guy. He fixed the radiator, put all the shrouds back on that the first guy chopped off, flow tested it, and painted the core, all for 1/3 what I paid the first guy to do nothing.

Lesson learned.

Brought the tractor back inside. Made some rubber pads for the radiator mount. Installed the fuel tank, radiator, and hood.

I picked up a few pieces at Hutch- cultivator brackets (no reason other than they were only $5) brake covers with the bolt holes not broken off, and a dandy grill screen. Couldn't find just the seat back though.

Starting to look like a tractor again!

Just need to rebuild the mag, and polish off the three dozen little things that pop up on these projects, and we should be in tall cotton!

Couple of questions:

What is the recommended spark plug for this engine?

Is there anything between the fuel tank and the supports, or the hood and radiator, or is it steel on steel? The bolts on all the straps are barely long enough the way it is, I cant imagine there's room for a rubber or leather strap under there.

More to come.....

Edited by littlemarv - 25 Aug 2017 at 10:53pm

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 8:35am
Yes there was webbing between the supports and the tank and between the tank and the straps. I bought mine at a local JoAnns Fabric store the wife frequents but it is available from places like Steiners.

Autolite 295 is a good plug for it

http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
BenGiBoy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenGiBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 8:39am
There is usually a webbing between the hood and fuel tank. Something like this, in one of the colors/widths that it comes in......someone else might know what width/color it was originally.  Fuel Tank Webbing - White 1"
'39 Model B
Tractors are cheaper than girls, remember that!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic