This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Early U / Contnental Shift Lever???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zootownjeepguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Early U / Contnental Shift Lever???
    Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 8:12pm
I now have my "new" '31 Allis U running. While driving it around last weekend I realized that it was stuck in 2nd gear. That was a long, interesting ride because I never bothered to reattach the kill wire to the magneto (in hindsight, NOT a good idea) and had no way to stop the engine from the seat. Luckily the engine starved for fuel in the driveway and quit. The original shift lever is worn out so I couldn't find the right spot to shift it out of gear.

I machined a new shift lever assembly (new ball, socket, spring, collar & lever). My question is; What is the correct length of the lever above the transmission cover plate (the original lever had broken off and a pipe was welded on) and what size ball-knob is on the top? I'm trying to keep the U as close to original as possible and want my new parts to look authentic.  If anyone out there has an early U and could just put a tape measure on the lever and ball I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,
Rich

Edited by zootownjeepguy - 12 Apr 2011 at 8:16pm
Rich Salvaggio
'31 Allis Chalmers U 7143
'46 Willys CJ2A Farm Jeep
'48 Caterpillar D2
Antique Garden tractors
*Other rusty old junk comes & goes without notice
Sponsored Links

DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 8:49pm
Hey Jeepguy, I just noticed the CJ2A. Is it an "agrijeep"? I had a 1951 CJ-3A. Stupid move selling that one.
Sorry, no help for the U right now, but I do have a friend that has one. I will be by there Thursday, and I can check it out then. I can take some pics and some measurements if that will help. Don't count on me, as I may get a service call and be on the other side of the country between now and then, but i'll try.
I didn't do it! It was a short, fat, tall, skinny guy that looked like me!
Darrell, Jr. (MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrell, Jr. (MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 10:16pm
It will depend on if you have the tall steering set up, or the short.  My Brother Brad has an early U and he has the tall set up.
zootownjeepguy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zootownjeepguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by Darrell, Jr. (MN) Darrell, Jr. (MN) wrote:

It will depend on if you have the tall steering set up, or the short.  

What is the difference between tall or short steering?  I have seen only later U's (other than mine) with a floor and different brake & clutch controls. All of the pictures of early U's that I have found in books and on the "intranet" show only front views. I would love to see some rear view pic's of early U's or United tractors.

My Jeep has the front counterweight, governor, rear PTO and belt pulley gearbox.

Edited by zootownjeepguy - 12 Apr 2011 at 10:40pm
Rich Salvaggio
'48 Caterpillar D2
Antique Garden tractors
David Maddux View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Maddux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 6:56am
I will get your measurement when I go out to the shop this morning.  Dave.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zootownjeepguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 10:24pm
The new shift lever is currently 29" tall. I suppose I could have it chromed and mount a nice 8-Ball shifter knob on it,   ...nah, I'll keep it original. Just need to know where to cut it!

Thanks, Rich
Rich Salvaggio
'48 Caterpillar D2
Antique Garden tractors
David Maddux View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Maddux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 7:25am
On my United, the shift lever is 12" tall from the top edge of the umberella to where the threads start for the ball. Then about 3/4" of thread. I did not take the ball off, so I am guessing about the thread length. It is a small ball, I did not measure the diameter of the ball. If you need further info, contact me.  Dave.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zootownjeepguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 5:55pm
Thanks Dave,
 I appreciate the info!
Rich Salvaggio
'48 Caterpillar D2
Antique Garden tractors
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic