This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Duetz-Allis 9170 parking brake

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Duetz-Allis 9170 parking brake
    Posted: 09 May 2024 at 8:15am
To inspect for the breakage, lift the cab - does not have to be removed as in cables, wiring, etc - remove the top plate and pray for the linkage to be broken. IF so it is not a picnic, but can be done from the top. IF it is the pivot bolt broke, you have to remove the bottom box, then remove the freeze plug and this allows partial access to the pivot bolt - we have been able - with one exception - to get a long welding rod carefully in and weld a nut on the reduced threads of the bolt broke off in the rear housing. It is a pain that requires patience. AGCO had a special tool they would rent or furnish to install an improved version, best of my memory that was decades ago. We caution all owners of the these units - a 1/2" bolt will not stop a 25,000 # tractor. Most damage is cause by applying the brake - which puts a pawl in a slotted disc - while the tractor is moving. i.e. with a load trying to get up a bank to the road you stop and the unit starts rolling backwards... don't use the parking pawl brake -  72160757 is the # to look for on Agco parts site. maybe the bolt came out of the linkage
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
Sponsored Links

Travis(NE) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis(NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2024 at 8:54am
Going off of memory from 20 years ago when I was working in an AGCO dealership, as mentioned above the weak link is the parking paw pivot bolt.  I believe it was a shouldered bolt and would shear off if the park lock was engaged before the tractor was brought to a complete stop.  I also want to say that with the cab off, wheels moved out, and an angle drill it is possible to remove the broken threads of the bolt and replace it with a new one.  
Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 9:30pm
I've been into a couple of tractors with failed park locks. They were both 9600 series tractors. They both used the White rear end assembly. I moved the wheels out and removed the cabs to get at the park lock. The internal linkage for the park lock is the weak link,in my opinion. The cog wheel, on the shaft, was fine on the ones that I repaired. No split required, at least on the ones I did.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 9:25pm
I did one. It was the latch pivot bolt.
JakeW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JakeW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 9:05pm
Does anyone know if it’s typically the cog on the pinion shaft that brakes or could it just be the brake latch? Was wondering if it was the latch if you could just take the cab off to get to it without splitting the tractor?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 8:58pm
I remember the park "lock" was kind of a weak design for a HEAVY tractor.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 8:46am
No idea no help. I'm thinking cab removal and a split at a $100/hr shop is going get expensive. Hope you bought it right.
JakeW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JakeW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 8:37am
Hello, I have a question about a duetz allis 9170. Little bit about the tractor I just purchased the tractor from a farmer. It is very clean and has minimal leaks. Everything works on the tractor besides the AC needs recharged and the parking brake doesn’t work. My biggest thing is the parking brake, being in southeastern Indiana we have some large hills so being able to keep the tractor in one place over the night is kind of important. I did some research and pulled some part diagrams, currently I have the cab floor off to see if I could see the parking brake mechanism and everything appears to be engaging. I talked to an AGCO Service Tech and he says it is most likely something internal and would have to split tractor and take off the cab. Is that true and what kind of cost would I be looking at?

Thank you,
Jake
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic