This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D-17 Thermostat?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSTROM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D-17 Thermostat?
    Posted: 26 Apr 2024 at 5:54pm
The temp gauge on my D-17 Ser III gas (#70101) would barley move, if at all.  I "assumed" the gauge was bad.  Not.  I put in a new gauge (not easy with my big hands) and it still barely moves.  Old one had nice star washers built in to the nuts.  Not the new one.  No lock washers even.  I'm expecting it to loosen up - but that's a later rant...  

I'm thinking some prior owner pulled the t/stat out, when they replaced the water pump.  Why the &*$%# do they do that?  It might just be stuck open - but I doubt it.  I will replace the t/stat.  Looking online, there's three different ones listed for a D-17... What's the difference (I know - ask the sellers...), and what's everyone using, 160 or 180?

Oh, and why don't they include the danged gasket.  You have to remember to order it also...

Edited by GSTROM99 - 26 Apr 2024 at 5:54pm
Sponsored Links

Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2024 at 7:33pm
Yes gasket is always separate. Lol. A good way to get some extra money!! I replaced mine in WD45 gas a few years back. Right from Agco but can't remember what temp. I think maybe 160. I don't remember being asked that question. Tractor runs constant 170 so I think it is a 160. 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2024 at 9:42pm
160 is what it came with from Milwaukee.
GSTROM99 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSTROM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2024 at 10:06am
Thinking that some PO had removed the thermostat, I drained some coolant and took off the top hose to see/feel what was/wasn't in there.  I felt the t/stat loose in the housing and just wobbling around in there.  Took it out and tested, and it opens at 160 like it's supposed to.  I did alot of internet investigation, looking for pics of the inside of that housing, and got some help from DJS too.  I found one old pic (in this forum) that showed what I was missing.  Turns out there is a "spacer" piece missing from the housing that the rubber part is supposed to seal against.  That little part is not listed in my parts book and it's not available anywhere...  It either got left out when someone was in there, or it's chewed up inside the motor or radiator somewhere.

I ordered a new housing that has the "spacer" built in to the casting. This should tighten everything up and allow the motor to properly heat up..
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 1:06am
First thing I try to do is replace the t-stat and give the cooling system a good flush, not just rinsing once but until the water comes out clean enough to drink every time you run it.
I’ve seen too many pumps and thermostats go out because of bad antifreeze…
Just my 2 cents….
1955 AC WD45 diesel with D262 repower, 1949 AC WD45
GSTROM99 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSTROM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 6:20am
Coolant was/is fine.  I flushed the system earlier this spring.  I found I had an old can of "radiator flush" and used that.  Some sort of caustic acid stuff, I'm not sure they even sell it anymore.  It did a great job.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic