This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D15 Injection pump drive shaft

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newbe2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D15 Injection pump drive shaft
    Posted: 20 Jan 2024 at 2:48pm
And the problems keep coming.  Back ground: 1953 Model D grader with a D15 diesel trans plant. The good news is, I located the correct starter motor, Delco Remy 4364 with an aftermarket Bendix 10 tooth CCW drive. It fits and the teeth engage the flywheel, therefore the flywheel must be from the original WD 201. Bad news, the engine will not fire because the drive shaft to the Stanadyne DBGC pump sheared off inside the pump.
Anyone know what the part number should be and where I can buy one so maybe I can get this old grader back to work.
Thank for your help
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2024 at 3:52pm
The driveshaft has sheared off because the injection pump has SIEZED. That's the way things are designed to protect the timing gears. You need an injection pump AND a driveshaft.
newbe2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newbe2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2024 at 10:16pm
The question then becomes, is the D15 diesel worth the cost of a replacement injection pump.  I do not even know "if" the engine will run or other parts have been damaged.  According to Tractor Data there was only 957 D15 diesels produced between 1960 and 1968. That might mean the engine itself is valuable, or, it was a garbage engine from the get go.  Anyone ever have one?  Are they worth the investment?
Thanks for the encouragement
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2024 at 7:09am
The 4 cylinder D15 Diesel engine is only a 4 cylinder version of the 6 cylinder D17 engine.  If the BUDA built engines need rebuilding things get expensive very quick. The adapter plate you have between the block and bellhousing is used for any BUDA installation and if removed with the block it would allow you to bolt in a 201/226 gas engine that are readily available and cheap compared to a BUDA, weather it be diesel or gas. 
  HINT: if you do want to stick with a BUDA go looking for a running engine from a Cockshutt. They are a cast-in-block not a removable sleeve engines as the ALLIS Budas are and don't have the sleeve drop issues like the ALLIS engines do.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2024 at 3:51pm
The D-15 bell housing will not accept a 201 or 226 engine. Only the small block 149-160 engines would bolt up after removing a diesel engine.
Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2024 at 4:38pm
Must have had an engine transplanted in it at some point. The Model D was gas the Model DD was diesel and it had a 6 cylinder engine in it, any model before than would have had a detroit engine. 
newbe2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newbe2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2024 at 5:11pm
Thanks for the input, but maybe I didn't present the question correctly. The equipment in question is a 1953 Model D road grader. the original engine was the WD 4 cylinder gas. It now has a 2.9L diesel from something else, possibly a D15. When the diesel was put in is not known possibly 2013. If it ever ran is also questionable. Supposedly the person who put it in could not find the right starter motor so they started the grader by pulling it. After getting tired of pull starting the grader they sold it to someone else who got tired of  trying to pull start it and sold it to the current owner. The current owner gave up trying and parked it in his yard around 2017 and there it sat until I offered to give it a try. Because of the engine swap and not knowing what engine it was a starter could not be found.
The casting number on the head indicates it is a D15 2.9L. in researching that engine I found that the flywheels are different sizes, so I assumed there could not be a starter that would match. But, the flywheel filled the entire space of the bell housing (transaxle case) so I tried a starter from an original D motor grader and it seems to fit and engage, therefor the flywheels must interchange between the 2 motors.
Now I find out the engine possibly never did run because the injection pump is locked up and the injector drive shaft is broken. Looks like it has been that way for a very long time. Therefor my question. Is the 2.9L engine worth the time and expense of replacing the injector pump, not knowing if the engine ever ran in the first place.
Thanks for hearing my long winded explanation.  Any advice?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2024 at 6:14pm
If it was mine, I'd bail out. They simply didn't make that many of those D-15 diesel engines to begin with, so there is no "pool" of good used parts to work with. The flywheel you have must be to the DD grader, the 6-cylinder version which the flywheel would interchange I imagine between the 4 and the 6 banger.
Wes (VA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes (VA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 3:57pm
Being a D grader, it should have a starter hole cast into the top of transaxle under the seat correct?  The early DD used the BD230 like in a WD-45D that also had the starter hole in the top of transaxle.  Later DDs equipped with D262 had starter mounted just like in D17 tractors in the rear engine plate. 
newbe2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newbe2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 5:45pm
Thank you all for your input, I am learning more about it in the process of fixing what I can.  Finding a replacement engine is proving to be a more of a challenge than fixing what I have, maybe.
So far a friend has taken apart the seized injection pump and rebuilt it. He also located the correct pump drive shaft so the pump will be ready to install shortly. Another friend who happens to own an alternator and starter rebuild company is able to make a replacement starter so that problem is under control. However, fixing one part means finding others.  I am beginning to think this D15 engine never has ran in this grader, if so it was only for a short time before the injection pump seized.  The engine looks like it may have been rebuilt at the start of the project then for some yet unknown reason was left to die a slow death. Sold, resold and then sold again because the engine would not start without pulling the grader. 
The current problem is now the crankshaft pulley attachment to the crank.  In the process of repairing or rebuilding the engine the crank shaft threads and securing nut that hold the damper assembly on were stripped. I have ordered the 1" 14 tap and die set hoping I can salvage enough thread to secure the damper and put the front engine mount back together. If that happens I can get the engine started and find out if it was worth the effort. If it doesn't then its back to paddling upstream in a sinking boat.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 7:40pm
Previous builder probably figgered out that the d-15 diesel didn't have enough power to run the grader...Wink

Edited by DiyDave - 28 Jan 2024 at 7:40pm
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
newbe2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote newbe2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 7:49pm
Good point, that thought crossed my mind when I discovered it was a D15 diesel. However, it is what it is.  If I get it running, I'll know the answer to that question.
Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic