This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA Wiring Diagram

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmrgeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA Wiring Diagram
    Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 5:15am
Having trouble wiring CA.  No wiring when I got tractor.  Have looked at Deuy's diagrams and others and my other tractors but no luck.  I have a generator ( bat and "A" terminals) with cutout ( bat. and another which I cannot read mark, lets call it a %), regular allis switch found on B's C,  etc.  It is a 6 volt system, with coil and distributor, with the starter being the pull rod type.  I have bought a new ampmeter.  I would need pretty detailed info as I have tried many configurations with no luck.  Thanking in advance for anyone who has the time to help.
Sponsored Links

George R. (MN) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George R. (MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 6:50am

This is the diagram from the CA owners manual.  This should help you get the old gal going again!

My tractor is not leaking oil, it's just marking it's territory!
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 7:27am
The % wire you're talking about is the Field or F terminal. It's number 2 in George's picture. The cutout relay on the generator connects directly to the ammeter. That F terminal grounds through the light switch. The light switch has 3 positions, low charge lights off, lights on high charge, lights off high charge. When you get it all together and it doesn't charge, ground the F terminal with it running. If it starts charging, you have  either a broken F wire or the light switch is either bad or not grounded.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 8:05am
Poorly grounded light switches account for LOTS of charging circuit failures. I run a separate wire from the small bolt or screw that holds the light switch in place to the ground point for the battery. Cures a lot of bad stuff!
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 8:07am
Dave, that sounds like excellent advice.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
farmrgeo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmrgeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 12:53pm
A big "thank you" for the diagram and everyone who responded.  Just got back in house and checked it out.  I won't be able to get back to work on CA until tomorrow.  Keep you posted.
farmrgeo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmrgeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 7:02am

Update on CA wiring.  The tractor starts fine and "appears" to be charging, BUT when I turn off the switch to kill engine the ammeter still reads as if is charging.  Will this drain the battery over time?  I did run the extra ground wire as suggested.   Thanks again to George, Dave, and Jasper, it fires right up. 

Jeff Z. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 7:05am
Try a different ammeter gauge.
Dnoym N. S. Can. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dnoym N. S. Can. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 7:27am
farmrgeo did you hook it up with positive  gown
dose the ammeter go to discharge when it`s running
could you have hook the ammeter up backwards ?
could be the cutout relay on the generator is sticking on
but if that was the case it should show discharge
just some thing that were going threw  my  mind
HTH      B:-)      Dnoym
farmrgeo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmrgeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 8:40am
The ammeter was new,  It is hooked up positive ground,  Ammeter never shows discharge, aways charge running or not when the switch is on.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 9:30am
Do you have a digital volt meter or can you at least borrow one? On a 6V system, you're going to want to see about 7.5 volts with the engine running and a fully charged battery. Before you go to changing the ammeter, verify that it is actually working. Do the lights work on the tractor? Turning the lights on will make the meter move to discharge without it running.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 11:55am
Ya wanta try what Brian suggests. It SOUNDS as though that brand new ammeter may be junk. But let's check one thing. You mentioned that the ammeter is "hooked up positive ground" - do you mean that the wire from the cutout attaches to the neg post on the ammeter and that the wire to the starter post attached to the pos post on the ammeter? Should be that way as the meter s/b in series and not grounded. Just checking....
WC, CA, D14, WD45
farmrgeo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmrgeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 9:06pm
In reply to you Dave, I would say yes, that is the way I have it configured.  I will try Brian's sugestion, but will have to wait until next weekend as I live away from my farm and am a weekend farmer for the most part.  thanks again.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 9:09pm
You might want to take along a spare ammeter - would be a good way to check the one in there now. Hope you get it sorted out soon.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic