This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B Wiring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleTDL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B Wiring
    Posted: 22 Aug 2013 at 7:48pm
Question for the group...  Through some of the links you folks have posted on here I've fallen into a rabbit hole or two (Tongue), but one of the links (and I can't remember which one) took me to a site where it was mentioned that some of the older B's didn't come with any wiring at all, other than the spark plug wires.  This same article/website is where I learned that the little tab on the side of the magneto was actually a grounding strap, if you will, and that's how you shut the tractor off.  Neat!

On my B, I've got a two-position switch on the steering shaft support, see below:

As you can see, one of the wires loops back on itself and is attached to the switch mount, which I'm assuming is part of the grounding circuit for the switch.  The other wires runs down to the mag, as you can see below:

When connected to the grounding strap on the mag, this would make your "kill" circuit, if you will...  My question is what does this harness really look like on a B that has this type of switch??  How was the wiring run down the tractor?  Or, as I'm suspecting, is this a home-made kill switch??

As always, any info would be appreciated and thanks for your time!

Eagle

Sponsored Links

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2013 at 8:02pm
The real early B models were crank start. Most didn't have provision on the block for a Generator to mount. (BE engines) Those particular units didn't have lights either so there was no need for a Gennie. As time progressed, so did the B, and lights, Generator, and electric start were added. The B/C blocks had bosses to mount a Generator. As those accessories were added, of coarse so was a wiring harness. On B models that were equipped with lights, a Battery box was added between the tool boxl and the steering column support post. Its at this post an instrument panel or Ammeter panel was mounted housing the Ammeter, three pos. charging switch, and Mag kill switch. That particular switch that's on your Tractor someone added on. Moving the mag kill switch near the driver is much safer should something happen where you would need to shut the engine down quickly.  HTH
Chalmersbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chalmersbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2013 at 9:54pm
The tractor that you have didn't have that, or any, switch to kill the engine, as Steve mentioned. The throttle quadrant linkage was set up so when you pulled the lever all the way back, the engine would shut off so there wasn't any need for wires and a kill switch. Bob
4 B's, 1 C's,3 CA's, 2 G's WD, D14, D15, B-1, B10, B12, 712S,
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2013 at 9:58pm
SO did any B's come with a WICO mag? I kinda thought most all had the Fairbanks Morse mags.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
CAdon View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAdon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2013 at 10:16pm
hey, eagle - you seem to have caught on quickly how to get good advice fast on this forum: post pictures and ask specific questions.  thanks, that also makes it easier for others (like me) to learn along with you. Thumbs Up
for what it's worth... i knew i was gonna run out of available time all too soon so to give myself time to deal with other issues (and tractors) i got a very complete wiring system from steve (above) like many on here have done. and even that was a quite educational process, discussing the options.
either way you go, please keep havin' fun and posting pictures!
52 CA, 41 B and a little B1    oh, yeah... and an 8N ford snuck in there, too.

CAdon View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAdon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2013 at 10:26pm
tuck - owners manual makes no reference to other than f/m, but i know i did see a wico on either a B or a CA recently.  likely just another "replacement"?
52 CA, 41 B and a little B1    oh, yeah... and an 8N ford snuck in there, too.

EagleTDL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleTDL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 7:21am
Originally posted by Steve in NJ Steve in NJ wrote:

HTH

Yeah Steve, it does, so thanks for that!  I've seen the battery box along with the other controls/switches in my manuals, so I know I've got something "a little different"...  Seems like Grandpappy was a bit of a tinker-er, if you will?? Smile  Or, he may have bought it this way?? 

As you mention, for safety reasons, I'll keep the switch and clean up the wiring...  Maybe run it in some type of small wire loom or something??
EagleTDL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleTDL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 7:22am
Originally posted by Chalmersbob Chalmersbob wrote:

The tractor that you have didn't have that, or any, switch to kill the engine, as Steve mentioned. The throttle quadrant linkage was set up so when you pulled the lever all the way back, the engine would shut off so there wasn't any need for wires and a kill switch. Bob

Now that's something I didn't know!  Great info, appreciated!!  I'll certainly check that functionality out when I get it running, but I'll also keep the switch just in case...
EagleTDL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleTDL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 7:24am
Originally posted by CAdon CAdon wrote:

tuck - owners manual makes no reference to other than f/m, but i know i did see a wico on either a B or a CA recently.  likely just another "replacement"?

Maybe so Don??  I think I'm gonna name this one "Franky", short for Frankenstein since it seems to be a collection of pieces parts! LOL
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 7:56am
EagleTDL,  You have received some excellent input from our renowned electrical expert SteveNJ. 
The early B tractors that I remember did not - as Steve Says - have any electrical wiring with the exception of the plug wires.  In fact, to my recollection there was a kill clip mounted on the mag to stop the tractor.  I was not aware of the feature whereby one could move the throttle beyond the running position to kill the engine.  I remember I would move to the side of the B and push the kill clip.
Later, as you have seen, since nobody wanted to get off the tractor some rigged an off switch such as yours so they did not have to get off the tractor to stop the engine.  In fact they usually stopped them on an incline so they could be moved forward to turn the engine without having to crank it. 
Charlie, I do not remember any B tractors coming through with the WICO mags as original equipment. 
Take good care of my favorite.  You have a collector's tractor.
During WWII a few B tractors were made without electrics to save the copper for the war effort.  The starter hole in the torque tube was plugged with a cover and there was a small triangle tin to fill the gap where the tool box was cut for the battery box.  The bosses for the battery and generator were there but not used.  After the war when these items were readily available they were usually added and the plug and the triangle were junked.  Finding one of these would be very significant.
Sorry I talked so long but you just seemed to catch on an interesting subject.
Remember, the B was a very BASIC unit.
Good Luck!
Bill Long

Edited by Bill Long - 23 Aug 2013 at 7:58am
EagleTDL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleTDL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 8:25am
Originally posted by Bill Long Bill Long wrote:

Later, as you have seen, since nobody wanted to get off the tractor some rigged an off switch such as yours so they did not have to get off the tractor to stop the engine.  In fact they usually stopped them on an incline so they could be moved forward to turn the engine without having to crank it. 

Take good care of my favorite.  You have a collector's tractor.

Sorry I talked so long but you just seemed to catch on an interesting subject.
Remember, the B was a very BASIC unit.
Good Luck!
Bill Long

No problem Bill!  You guys are a wealth of information and have been a huge help to me, and I'm still in the "tear down and inspect" mode on my B.  No telling what help I'll need once I try to get this thing running! LOL  And Yes Sir, that's my typical MO, asking all the strange questions... Wink

I've got some plans for this ol' gal, but that will come in time...
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 9:37am
My C has had the original Fairbanks Morse, an American Bosch and now a Wico magneto.
The Wico looks like yours shown in picture.
Question, were there any other brands that would fit ?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 10:05am
My 38 B has a toggle switch on top of the toolbox. The wire goes thru the toolbox and out along the right side of the block. 
EagleTDL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleTDL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 10:33am
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

My 38 B has a toggle switch on top of the toolbox. The wire goes thru the toolbox and out along the right side of the block. 

I think that will be my option Mr Tuck...  Glad to know I won't be the only one running a similiar setup!  All future questions will come to you... LOL
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 2:41pm
As with any mass produced vehicle, (Tractors included) AC always had a back-up vendor just in case the main vender suppling particular parts ran behind in supply. Wico was the backup vendor, and they did use the "X" series flange mount Magneto. Although, they were scarce, on a lot of AC's, they were used from what I've read when I first started doing research when I bought my B. I even serviced a few customer Wico's, and those customer's told me that was the Mag that came on the Tractor new. That sorta' varified what I read. Those flange mount style Mags did come on other brands of Tractors. The lag angle was different on some of those Mags because they were made specifically for certain brands of Tractors. The Fairbanks FMJ4B3 was built specifically for AC. The "3" was the number for the vendor that Fairbanks made the Magneto for.
FMJ4B3-  FM= Fairbanks/Morse "J"= series or model Magneto  4=  4 cylinder engine  B= flange mount  "3"=  vendor- Allis Chalmers.  If the Mag had an "A" on the end of the "3" the grounding lug was located on the engine block side.  (WC's with rod actuated Kill)
EagleTDL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleTDL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 5:00pm
Steve, you are a veritable cornucopia of information! LOL

Thanks for the info!  Don't know if I understand it all, but thanks nonetheless... Wink 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 10:18am
Just enjoy helping people out when I can dat's all.....  
HemiEd View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HemiEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 12:12pm
Hello, I have been working on my Dad's old 48 C after inheriting it three years ago. It was pretty much apart, but Dad had rebuilt the engine probably 20 years ago. 

I purchased a wiring harness from Steiner tractor and had decided it was time to get the old girl moving. I actually drove it up and parked this morning!

My question, related to this thread is that the ground on the mag does not kill the motor when it is running. You can push the ground tab on the mag, or ground the wire, nothing, it just keeps on running. 

Can someone help me with this please?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by HemiEd HemiEd wrote:

Hello, I have been working on my Dad's old 48 C after inheriting it three years ago. It was pretty much apart, but Dad had rebuilt the engine probably 20 years ago. 

I purchased a wiring harness from Steiner tractor and had decided it was time to get the old girl moving. I actually drove it up and parked this morning!

My question, related to this thread is that the ground on the mag does not kill the motor when it is running. You can push the ground tab on the mag, or ground the wire, nothing, it just keeps on running. 

Can someone help me with this please?

I would guess that the wire is not connected inside the mag, so it's not getting shorted out to kill the fire.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 7:17pm
I'm wit' Tuck on that one. There's an insulated wire that is connected to the inside of the screw that comes out to hold the shut-down tang in place. That insulated wire runs under the front of the coil inside the unit and up to the points. Doesn't sound like its there or connected as Tuck mentioned. No wire... no shut off.....Might havta' pull the choke closed to shut down the engine till ya git' the wire connected.   HTH
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic