This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are NAPA 7011 oil filters really that bad?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are NAPA 7011 oil filters really that bad?
    Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 4:34pm
My "B" came with a NAPA filter on it. The guy I got it from owned it for 40 years. I just kept using NAPA filters because why rock the boat?

However, I was reading another thread on this forum (too old to reply to) and people were saying the NAPA ones weren't tightly wound and the oil pressure would be low.

My last NAPA filter, my oil pressure was on the "A" in "NORMAL" and on my current NAPA filter it's on the "O." Makes me wonder. I did order a Wix I could put on right now.
Sponsored Links

dkattau View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkattau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 4:39pm
NAPA filters are made by Wix.
resurrection20 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by dkattau dkattau wrote:

Hahaha! No way!
rms61moparman(Ky) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms61moparman(Ky) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by resurrection20 resurrection20 wrote:

Originally posted by dkattau dkattau wrote:

Hahaha! No way!

Yes WAY!

Mike
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 4:56pm
And NAPA cost $10 more. Highway robbery.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 5:10pm
NAPA USED to be a good place to buy decent parts at a competitive price. 

I recently stopped in at our local NAPA to buy a NAPA Gold oil filter for my truck (2021 F-350 Powerstroke). I was told over $60 was "my price" which is supposed to be a discount. I came home and ordered 2 Motorcraft (original equipment) for $18.99 each from Amazon. I now have filters for 2 oil changes for less than the price of one NAPA Gold filter.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 5:20pm
yup, I bought 3 wixes online for less than ONE at the local NAPA that is 7 minutes from me.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 5:29pm
In my very small town, there's just the one store- NAPA and they give a 20 percent discount for AAA members. All the NAPAs around me are part of locally owned chain of like 10 franchises or something and their main store is in the state capital, so I feel like I'm spending money locally. They're fairly competitively priced. There is an O'Reilly's in the next town over that's usually cheaper, but I've found NAPA parts to be of better fit and quality. And yeah, there's always online. RockAuto is awesome...except the FedEx shipping costs are insane, lol.

Edited by resurrection20 - 18 Mar 2024 at 5:31pm
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 5:32pm
What's really crazy, is that even though a 'chain'.... the 3 stores near me have 3 DIFFERENT prices for the SAME item !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

What's really crazy, is that even though a 'chain'.... the 3 stores near me have 3 DIFFERENT prices for the SAME item !

These ones are like that, too. You can price check online and the stores have different markups? Or something. I don't like that.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 5:57pm
20 years ago WIX made some filters that had no restriction.. All the oil went to the BYPASS back to the crank case.. NO OIL or LOW OIL was flowing thru the lube passages internally... A few motors locked up due to loss of pressure.. WIX redesigned the filters and they have been OK for the past 10- 15 years or more..... And NAPA does buy that filter from WIX..... Their NEW filters are fine to use..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 6:00pm
As you run the engine, the filter will eventually start to plug and RESTRICT oil flow thru it.. A NEW filter might be a couple letters LOWER on the NORMAL scale.. That is fine, and acceptable... If you prefer, you can leave the ORIGINAL FILTER on longer.. all you are doing is cutting down on the BYPASS oil that is FILTERED and allowing more oil to go to LUBE the engine..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 6:04pm
The Napa gold filters are made by Wix. Not sure about the cheaper lines. 
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 6:05pm
Wink

Edited by Codger - 18 Mar 2024 at 6:37pm
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 6:09pm
I've never used anything but Fram C159 filters on my tractors. They are the only filter made that didn't switch to the pleated paper back when AGCO and Wix sold the ones that ruined engines. 
 They also are totally unrelated to the poor quality Fram filters for full lube systems.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by Ed (Ont) Ed (Ont) wrote:

X2

im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 6:34pm
Depends on what part of the us you are in. Some areas are wix and some are Donaldson 
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 6:51pm
Agreed about the Napa stores. I haven’t patronized them for probably 5 years now? I’ve tried. But other like Carquest, Advanced Auto, OReillys, has been more competitive. 20 years ago, my local Napa store manager offered me a constant 40% discount if I opened an account that spent a minimum of $500 annually. That disappeared about 5 yrs ago.

I believe Mann-Hummel of South Carolina mfg many prominent US oil filters( Napa, Wix, Purolator, etc) Mann-Hummel purchased Wix filters May 4, 2016.

https://wixeurope.com/en/company/news/we-are-part-of-the-mann-hummel-group#:~:text=On%20May%204%2C%202016%2C%20Wix,and%20all%20types%20of%20machines.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 7:16pm
After the fiasco years back, I'd never use a NAPA or WIX filter on anything. The Fram159 and the Baldwin T300 are the only filters I'd use on an AC engine with the Bypass oil system. These two brand filter have always been consistent in their ability to maintain proper restriction to keep proper oil presser to the crankshaft. 
  As for NAPA in general: the local stores around here are about as much a waste of time as any of the TSC stores. I know where I can get what here locally and beyond that I start making phone calls to places like Sandy Lake Implement and others.

Edited by PaulB - 18 Mar 2024 at 7:16pm
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Ed (Ont) Ed (Ont) wrote:

I've got one of the white ones...
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

20 years ago WIX made some filters that had no restriction.. All the oil went to the BYPASS back to the crank case.. NO OIL or LOW OIL was flowing thru the lube passages internally... A few motors locked up due to loss of pressure.. WIX redesigned the filters and they have been OK for the past 10- 15 years or more..... And NAPA does buy that filter from WIX..... Their NEW filters are fine to use..

Perfect. Too late now, anyway!
dkattau View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkattau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 7:32pm
NAPA is having some business problems. They may not be on their own for very much longer.
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 7:33pm
      Am I wrong, I thought the bad Napa filter # was 6011 and then they fixed the filter and changed the # to 7011?So the 7011 should be ok, right? 

I buy all my tractor filters through Shoup. Baldwin, everything from the U, UC, WD, CA(all the same) 190, 200, 8010, 7020, 8050's, 8070, oil, hyd, fuel and many air filters. The Napa oil filter for the R62 8.3 was $103, If I remember right, it was less than half that through Shoup. No shipping charge on orders over $200.

Leon B MO
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 9:00pm
You have poor managed Napa stores…the filters are nowhere near that expensive if the store knows what they are doing.  I’m the cheapest place around for filters.  

Color doesn’t say who made the filter. Donaldson and wix are both white.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 9:12pm
What’s wrong with agco 240912 filter
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2024 at 5:04am
Fleet Farm still has the Fram C159 for $9.99 online.  You can't beat that!!  I don't know about shipping, as I can order online and then go pickup at the store.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2024 at 5:41am
Lots of complaining about NAPA but no one really answered the question.  Back 20 or so years ago someone redesigned the filter.  They went from the cotton thread media to a pleated paper.  The W engines NEED the cotton as that restriction is what helps provide oil pressure.  Paper media had no restriction and an already low pressure system ran on basically zero pressure.  Didn't take only a couple of years for them to realize they screwed up and all mfg went back to cotton media.  As long as your filter has cotton thread tightly wound and a hole up the middle for the stand pipe, it's perfectly fine to use.
AaronSEIA
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2024 at 5:56am
This seems like a good time to remind the new people that when you change the filter, make sure the pipe isn't stuck in the old filter and gets discarded. It doesn't matter who's filter you use there won't be any restriction without the pipe!
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2024 at 6:06am
Originally posted by AaronSEIA AaronSEIA wrote:

Lots of complaining about NAPA but no one really answered the question.  Back 20 or so years ago someone redesigned the filter.  They went from the cotton thread media to a pleated paper.  The W engines NEED the cotton as that restriction is what helps provide oil pressure.  Paper media had no restriction and an already low pressure system ran on basically zero pressure.  Didn't take only a couple of years for them to realize they screwed up and all mfg went back to cotton media.  As long as your filter has cotton thread tightly wound and a hole up the middle for the stand pipe, it's perfectly fine to use.
AaronSEIA

I don't know these engines at all so keep this in mind but is this a full flow, or bypass filtration system? Utilizing a restrictive filter to maintain oil pressure in the engine? I've never heard of that in the past. Though years prove me wrong, this reads of a design destined to failure without strict adherence to filter selection unless it is a bypass type system rather than full flow. I have several engines utilizing bypass systems only and they work well so find this interesting.

I don't patronize my local Napa parts store but that is a business relationship and pricing is just the start of it.

A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2024 at 7:05am
Good point Robert don’t forget about the pipe.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic