This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any suggestions for bait for raccoon traps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any suggestions for bait for raccoon traps
    Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 1:09am
Daughter and I been trying to protect her FFA sweetcorn patches from raccoons. This year we welded small pieces of flat steel 1 inch by 3 inches to bottom of trap then drill a small hole to put in and weld a ring shank nail. Make em fight for the feast. We are currently pushing a marshmallow and a small orange slice over the nail for bait held up enough as to not attract ants. When setting traps we also push in an electric fence post through trap to keep them from getting rolled. Working fairly well but wondered if anyone else had any better bait ideas they would share. I know electic fence works for some but her patches are scattered along field roads 3 rows wide and quarter mile long with 7 different planting dates and 7 sites. Guess where Im spending the rest of my summer starting next week.
Sponsored Links

Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 4:33am
Golden Malrin and either cola, or grape soda  mixed together. Ensure only the raccoons have access to the bait as they are highly attracted to it and won't get very far after eating. If you mix two cups of the bait and a two litre bottle of soda you will bag them all in short order.

Either burn the carcasses or dispose of them completely as anything that would consume the remains will either perish also, or be very sick afterward.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 5:04am
Duke's dog proof coon traps.  Stinky wet cat food or sardines, then push a big marshmallow on top of the stinky stuff.  Also, some sardine oil or cat food smeared on fence posts, leading toward the traps...

Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 7:26am
BIL swears by Fruit Loops and marshmallows
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 8:11am
Son uses those Dog Proof traps that Dave shows above... BUTT he caught a cat in it one night... Now the set a soup can over the trap so cats cant get in, but coons will grab the can and lift off..... Personally i use a game camera, then backup with a 22..... but this is real close to the house and small area............... they LOVE cat food.

Edited by steve(ill) - 16 Jul 2023 at 8:13am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 8:19am
In the barn, cats we don’t want to harm, we just use marshmallows and a live trap. Live trap is kind of a misnomer because they don’t get out alive! But cats do! Anyway, have caught a lot of them and cleaned up the problem. Now, for the rats!
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 8:24am
Have a heart trap, 3 small chocolate donuts, .22
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 9:22am
put  up an electric fence and be done with it
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 10:20am
Dr. Winchester's or Dr. Remington's Famous lead sedatives  work very well, to dispose of coons. One or two doses usually do the trick.
GSTROM99 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSTROM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 10:38am
sardines, in a (temporarily) live trap, then a .22

SSS, if there is a "season".

Edited by GSTROM99 - 16 Jul 2023 at 10:39am
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Clay Clay wrote:

Dr. Winchester's or Dr. Remington's Famous lead sedatives  work very well, to dispose of coons. One or two doses usually do the trick.

Not everyone has time to sit and wait that out. Otherwise effective.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Originally posted by Clay Clay wrote:

Not everyone has time to sit and wait that out. Otherwise effective.

This is true and most times in my cases they are seldom alone so I like to get the whole litter.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 2:10pm
BBQ coon is tasty but a bit on the greasy side.  
When I taught Vo-Ag, back in the early 80's, I had the opportunity to sample some. Reminded me of pork picnic shoulder.
Darwin W. Kurtz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darwin W. Kurtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 3:09pm
Place a large dog in the patch. Our dog Buddy (who is part german shepherd, part coon hound and misc. ordinary mutt )got himself a large coon several nights ago
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 3:14pm
What ever I am using for bear bait seems to work great. The fly bait and coke does work and they only go maybe 10ft and legs up. (That's what I heard) But because it goes against the label on the bait it is illegal to use it in that fashion. 
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 7:46pm
Cat food. Wire the can to the back of the box trap. First year we had laying hens I killed thirteen out of one Havahart trap. 
The thing about the pop and flybait thing is no one has ever been able to tell me how to neutralize it. And it stays active a long time.
Learning AC...slowly
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 8:07pm
That dog proof trap in Dave’s video. Would a cat stick its paw in there.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by exSW exSW wrote:

Cat food. Wire the can to the back of the box trap. First year we had laying hens I killed thirteen out of one Havahart trap. 
The thing about the pop and flybait thing is no one has ever been able to tell me how to neutralize it. And it stays active a long time.

Once the task is accomplished I incinerate everything including the plastic disposable bowl the concoction is served in. The action is so quick they are easy to locate and dispose of. You don't want the expired vermin laying around too long either as other carnivores that may be innocent find the easy meal and don't survive. Highly indiscriminate so due diligence is required.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Mikez Mikez wrote:

That dog proof trap in Dave’s video. Would a cat stick its paw in there.

Steve said he caught one once, but I've never caught a cat.  Remember these are hand hold traps, so Mr Coon (or Mr cat) will be there in the morning, alive, to greet you.  You might be able to release a cat, if its yours and tame,( if cat is not yours or tame, try putting it in a burlap sack while releasing) but to try and release a live coon ranks up there with juggling a chainsaw!  I have always dispatched them humanely with a .22.  I don't think a dukes trap will break the critter's paw, upon release, they seem unbroken. Rule of thumb is don't set a trap you aint gonna check every 12 hrs, its just not humane...Cry
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 9:10pm
Grandkids outside cat got caught in on... Daughter released it the next morning.  Kids said it had a limp for a day, but was OK.... ANYTHING that can get their paw 3-4 inches into a  1.5 inch pipe can get caught... Skunk, Fox, Coon, Possum ... most dogs have too big of paws..

Son said he started clipping an empty soup can over the trap and the cats cant get in.. Racoon will  grab the can with their "hands" and lift it off...They really dont have PAWS like a dog or cat.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2023 at 8:54am
I've caught a lot of coons in a live trap using tomcat mouse bait. That's what the little S.O.B.'s were stealing that made me set the trap. Wire the block down, helps and the mice can still eat from it!
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2023 at 1:50pm
 I use peanut butter and one night trap was sett with no bait, next morning had 2 young coon in it. They are both history

Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2023 at 2:17pm
I got five last week in a single night.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2023 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

I've caught a lot of coons in a live trap using tomcat mouse bait. That's what the little S.O.B.'s were stealing that made me set the trap. Wire the block down, helps and the mice can still eat from it!

This is sorta our issue with coons. We have rat bait stations set around the chicken houses. Coons will pick them up and shake them until the chunk falls out. That costs us money and isn't taking care of the rats so it's not something we'll allow around here. We put rocks and concrete chunks heavier than a coon can move and helps with that problem
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2023 at 2:45am
Thanks for all the responses, we are going to try a few of these suggestions, I know the electric fence is a great deterrent in several situations but for us it would be a cost and time prohibitive alternative since we plant 1/4 mile long, 3 row plots next to field roads and hard roads to make spraying and harvest simpler, that way we dont have to cross so many rows to get out of the field and dump our buckets. With so many other ideas we can rotate our "menu" and entice them to their last meal. Thanks again
NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2023 at 4:36pm
Fall, I cut up apples and use a live trap.  Other times I use the cheapest TSC canned cat food they sell.  Just crack the lid open, brings them in.  .22 finishes the job.  Had the back end of a live trap ripped to shreds once, I think a badger likes cat food too.... LOL
1955 WD45 S#205467, 190XT #6652 DXT
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 11:20pm
My Bates motel live trap is baited with cat food and they check in but don't checkout, alive
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2023 at 3:12am
I use the wire box traps baited with canned cat food, when the coons or possums are caught, I take them up the road to a neighbors or a stockholders open garage/barns. have heard that them coons have fun in garages that have lots of shelves! 
Kolumbianna View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolumbianna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2024 at 8:11am
Those clever critters can be quite the handful, can't they? For bait, you might want to give marshmallows or peanut butter a whirl. Those little guys seem to go nuts for anything sweet! Just make sure to keep the traps in good shape for effective pest control. As for the traps themselves, you might want to consider adding a touch of scent to draw them in. The smellier, the better—raccoons have a keen sense of smell! If you catch one, make sure to handle the situation safely and release it far from your property. Anyone else here tried any other bait that worked like a charm? I'd love to hear what you've tried and what has worked like a charm for you!

Edited by Kolumbianna - 28 Apr 2024 at 10:58pm
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2024 at 8:24am
  Golden Malrin and  a little grape soda:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic