This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Almost 2 hours of highway

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Almost 2 hours of highway
    Posted: 05 May 2024 at 4:40pm
Driving a 1972/175. Attended a small rural auction yesterday which had new h.d. all steel 9x20 kicker wagons and an Allis 175 that had been cared for exceptionally with a killer Quik Tach loader. After endless horse tack and horse drawn buggies came the wagons. I bought 2. In the meantime an old Allis friend was sitting alone so I surprised him with myself and a couple of garnished hot dogs. He said he could use another Allis to run his double hitch rakes as his 180 had a broken shifter fork. He also said he knew I was here for that 175. I said I do not really want another Allis but they keep following me home. And I said I certainly wont bid because he needed it. Than he said thanks but he didn’t need another loader. I said wow lets buy the tractor and Ill keep the loader then deliver it to him after I take the loader off. It had brand spanking new rear rims tubes and tires, new battery from the day before and a full tank of diesel along with that killer loader. I told him the loader was worth $1500 to me. When no one bid against us at $5500 the owner said he’d keep it unless he got 6k. I said OK 6 g it is and we got it. Hooked her up to one of my hay wagons after paying and drove home 6 miles. Took truck and fetched wagon 2. Removed the loader and called it a day. Today was very rainy but I delivered it to him anyway. The irony of the day was had we not ran into each other neither of us would have gotten what we wanted Allis wise. He wouldn’t have gone over 45 and I wouldn’t have a loader but together it worked perfectly. She’s got 3800 hours of which I put on the last almost 2. Highway speeds are painfully slow, especially in 48* rain😂. But a great deal. Now I need to make the loader look new and figure which donor to put it on. Cheers

Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
Sponsored Links

Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 5:06pm
Great deal for both of you! SmileSmile
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 7:18pm
Sounds like 2 winners to me. I guess 3 since the seller got his price too.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 7:53pm
Hey CaptainDana, that’s a great auction story. What a fond memory that all 3 of you now have. Thanks for sharing. And congratulations on your new AC 500? loader. They’re good loaders. And yes, it’s quick-tach bucket/forks/etc is killer.
If I remember right, you always badge your AC tractors per their previous owners? I too do a similar thing by noting previous owner & their town/state in each equipment’s serial # records. Then use that record to provide insurance info updates. Every time I look into the serial # records, my eyes stroll thru the previous owners info & each good memory quickly surfaces.

Edited by AC7060IL - 05 May 2024 at 7:55pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 9:42pm
Is that a "quick hitch" on the front to install buckt / forks ??
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 6:46am
 2 empty wagons and you had to go back with the truck for the 2nd 1 ???  
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 8:20am
I love it when a plan comes together! Well, you have the summer to restore the loader Cap and decide who the candidate is for the loader. You have a handful of nice Tractors to choose from. Thumbs Up
Good job!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Oldwrench View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 10:54am
Great story with a happy ending.  I like the loader parking stands.  I keep trying to design something for our 500 loader instead of a chain looped around a tree branch.  Could you provide a few more detail pictures of the loader stand - in particular how the loader frame rests on them?  I've been thinking of a U shaped kind of thing that goes up from under the arms.  I remember seeing a picture of the factory Allis stand that looks like a curved pipe.  Thanks, and congratulations on the loader. 
C15TA View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C15TA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 11:45am
I agree with Old and would also like more photos of the loader stand. Nice idea.
Barry
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 8:52pm
Hey guys the loader is done cept for decals. Worked on cleaning and wire wheeling and paint, done by 1pm. Yes its a quick attach. I pulled a wagon home with the 175 had my wife come follow behind with flaskers. Took wife in my truck back to get #2. My car was there and Kathy followed me with blinkers. Pics tomorrow! Then shes going on my 170.
                          Dana
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2024 at 6:08am
Nice find! Loaders that aren't twisted or have a lot of welds can be hard to find for these old tractors.

I, too, like your loader supports. They look simple, but efficient.

As far as towing one wagon home at a time, there are (over)length laws in New York State. Towing two wagons at a time is illegal. Although the law is seldom enforced, a local farmer received an over-length ticket several years ago when he towed several wagons through a bigger village (which would be a city in many states).  He complained and publicized it pretty loudly. The local judge found no humor in it. If I remember right, it ended up costing him about $1000.

Edited by WF owner - 07 May 2024 at 6:09am
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2024 at 8:47pm
Pretty simple but very effective.

Then just add a quick hitch

Finished product
                          Dana
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2024 at 8:39am
Sharp looking rig!
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2024 at 8:04am
Nice that 2 people can talk and work out a deal for both. Was at a state surplus auction and there was a D-12 with a woods belly mower. Tractor and mower were in good shape for a state auction. I bid on it and then 2 guys started to bid it up. Back and forth right up to 5 thousand. After, I was talking to the winning bidder the guy said he didn't want to pay that much but really wanted the tractor . He then said he didn't want the belly mower. The other bidder heard this and spoke up that he only wanted the belly mower. He claims he had someone else who wanted the tractor. He then asked the winning bidder if he would sell him the mower . That winning bidder got mad and said not After you ran the bid up. If they only could have talked first they each would have gotten what they wanted for much less than what the state of Illinois got.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic