This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers 621 rough terrain forklift

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote landrejl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers 621 rough terrain forklift
    Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 9:28am
Hello, I am looking at an Allis Chalmers model 621 rough terrain forklift. Lifts to 21 feet.

Seller is asking $8,000. Went and looked at it. They have calcium in the front tires, one front rim for sure is shot. Will need new tires and rims.

I liked the forward/reverse system with the handle operation or foot control.

This forklift has the gas engine in it.

Should I be worried about finding parts for a machine this old? How about hydraulic pump parts and control valves for the mast? How are the transmissions on these?

Average price of a 621 in operable condition?

Thanks for any advice you can give in advance!

Sponsored Links

Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 6:05pm
Welcome to the forum! If this forklift works well, as far as you can tell, I wouldn't be too concerned about buying and using it. You need to be satisfied that the hydraulic pump is putting out enough GPM as you'll not wish to look for a pump any time in the near future. If this forklift is for part time use, looking for parts is not a real big issue. The tractor is the same as a farm tractor at the time. The farm tractors had an issue with popping out of third gear if you travel downhill, this problem is not likely to have developed in a forklift. Other than that, the drivetrain is good. It's a real plus that it has the gas engine as the diesels at the time are now very hard to find parts for. Do make sure there are no serious hydraulic leaks from the 'mast cylinder' especially, as that is tedious and expensive to fix. The price seems a bit high to me but the market varies across the country. For older guys, like myself, we don't adjust to inflation as quickly as the young generation. You say it needs a front rim (soon), so I don't expect the machine to be pristine? My opinion is that $5000 to $6000 would be plenty. You may get some more input on the value. I wish you the best on your shopping!
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2024 at 7:49am
It would need to be in pristine condition to bring $8,000 in the northeast of the U.S.  Without seeing it I would think $4,000 would be generous make sure you add in the cost to replace the rim and new rubber. 

What size are the tires on the rear - 11L x 16 tire would be preferred as they don't cut in like the 7.50 x 16's that were typically on the early 621's.  ~ Orangeman
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2024 at 8:28am
In my opinion- thats way to high!! Im with the other guys - $4000- $5000 tops 
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2024 at 3:41pm
Why would Calcium be needed in the Drive tires of a forklift WackoWackoWacko Just a for sure way to ruin rims as you see has happened 🙄
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 8:41pm
Calcium in the 'front' tires, meaning the steer, not the drive.

Ballast in the steer tires is preferred whenever possible, nowdays they get tire foam instead.  Calcium was used frequently, because it did the job, and if a tire was punctured it would go down SLOWLY, and make itself VERY obvious.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
WM5377 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WM5377 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2024 at 3:16am
Honestly that is way to much for a old forklift. Ive seen newer offroad lifts go for alot cheaper. Id suggest checking out publicsurplus.com they auction off gov, city, utility and school surplus. They have a section just for heavy equipment. I just watched 2 different offroad forklifts sell locally for around 3000. One was a late 80s hyster. The other a caterpillar not sure what year but it went for 2000. Also you can check in your state or country wide on the site. Anyways good luck on the hunt. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic