This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ACC40 running rough

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh4God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ACC40 running rough
    Posted: 06 Dec 2023 at 5:59pm
I have an ACC-40 propane forklift that has been sitting in the corner of our hangar, not run for 3 years. Model # C 40 L PS Serial# AFR524866. I came on the job a year and a half ago, and recently decided to try and get it running. It is now fully functional, except for the alternator needing to be replaced. 
The engine runs very rough and sounds like it is misfiring. I checked inside and there was alot of water in the engine oil. #1 piston actually has a puddle of oil on top of the head. I would look for engine manuals, but I do not know the engine make or model as the sticker on top of the heads that was probably the label is completely worn off. I have seen several users on the forum talk about having a continental f163 in the same model forklift, but several things look out of place. I will be sending some pictures. Any help finding out the make and model of this engine, and manuals for it would be appreciated.  
Sponsored Links

Josh4God View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh4God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2023 at 6:17pm
Josh4God View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh4God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2023 at 6:18pm
Josh4God View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh4God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2023 at 6:19pm
Josh4God View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh4God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2023 at 6:20pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2023 at 6:24pm
another view

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2023 at 6:29pm
first guess.... plugs not wired up right ?
I got a deal on D-14 #3, ran rough...just got onto trailer.
get home, rewire plugs from 1-2-3-4 to 1-2-4-3, ran like a top !

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2023 at 6:35pm
fork trucks normally came with a Continental f135 , f163 or buda 153 .... NONE of the valve covers looked like that..... Is it aluminum ?  Looks more like a small car engine ??

I would look all over that motor and try to find some casting number, stamping, or something that might lead you in the right direction.

The engine runs very rough and sounds like it is misfiring. I checked inside and there was alot of water in the engine oil. #1 piston actually has a puddle of oil on top of the head.

You might have a blown head gasket / etc...

As Jay said... you might take compression ... roll motor over slowly with plugs out and figure out which pistons come up on compression in what order. .......... cleaning the distributor and point is a good idea.

Edited by steve(ill) - 06 Dec 2023 at 6:40pm
Josh4God View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh4God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2023 at 10:55am
Thank you both! I did not think about rewiring the plugs. I have already cleaned the distributor points but that was about a month ago when I started the project. I will check the firing order. Also, I found this FB27 number stamped onto the left side of the block. I included a picture of it. 
Josh4God View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh4God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2023 at 11:50am
I checked the firing order by checking the order of compression strokes. They match the order in which the plugs are wired up. It is 1-3-4-2. It sounds more like it is the head gasket. 
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2023 at 3:42pm
curiously..
 1-3-4-2
is 
1-2-4-3 

if you go the other way....

please humour me and try it

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2023 at 5:25pm
That motor looks like an import, to me.  Its a very late model, with that paint and tin, and I am not familiar with late model stuff.  Is the dealer that is on the sticker still in business?  If so a call to them, or whoever bought them out, might be get you some info...
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Josh4God View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh4God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 10:22am
Yes, the dealer sticker is still on the truck. I will give them a call to see if they know anything about the engine.
Josh4God View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh4God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 10:23am
I will give it a try. 
Josh4God View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh4God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 10:43am
I tried wiring it 1-2-4-3 and it would not start. After re-wiring it to 1-3-4-2 the engine started successfully. 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 12:55pm
the majority of engines are 1-3-4-2 ............. Allis and a couple others were 1-2-4-3.

With that aluminum finned valve cover.. it sure look like a small automotive engine from 1980 . ?? 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic