This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC 600 Series planter?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC 600 Series planter?
    Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 6:18pm
I just purchased a nice 600 series planter body with #72 row units.  It has the JD plate adapter kit.

This unit is a 4 row that has been cut down to a 2 row with a three point hitch hook up. 
I have plenty of questions that I need answered about this piece.

1) is population controled only by the plate inserted (24 or 16) and if so than what is the rate in seeds per acre?

2) what manual should I by?  I see 600 series manuals on Ebay, but I need to concentrate on the 72 row units more importantly.

3) any random ideas for marker arms?  It is a no till planter, so if I do decide to no till, following my tractor tracks is near impossible.

Thanks for any and all help.
Sponsored Links

darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 9:46pm
Maverick, the answer to #2, would be get a manual for the row units.  I'm used to #77 and #78 row units, so I know nothing about the #72's. In question #3, what do you mean by "following the tractor tracks is near impossible"? Don't you want the tractor tracks between the rows? Darrel
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 1:57am
how wide of row spacings? and the population is controled by both sprocets and seed plates, what ya gonna plant? i can check on my planter as to what sprockets i'm running on corn. and i always use the 24 cell plates. your seed company will have a booklet on population as to how far apart your seed is in the ground, you can also find that info on your state ag website. as for markers...i used them on the 8-row, but don't on my 6-row. i just learned where to watch on my tractor where to drive while planting.
maverick View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 6:55am
The planter is set on 30" rows, but I obviously see my error in that I do not have any extra sprockets for this planter.  Any idea where I can obtain the sprocket set?  I have plenty of JD plates, but I only have the one set of sprocket teeth.  I can check how many teeth I have on my sprockets and post back.

The marker arm thing is just for my own fun and fabrication.  No need to have one, except when no tilling it would be nice.  I am also going to plant about 5 acres for an amish friend of mine this year and he has a cultivator he would like to run through the rows, so I have to be somewhat right on.  I will figure that part out.

So now I guess I need some sprockets and I still would like someone to point me in the right direction as far as a manual goes.  Ebay has plenty of 600 series planter manuals, but they say nothing about model 72 row units.  I am afraid I will buy the wrong one.

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic