This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

715D backhoe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 715D backhoe
    Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 9:53pm
I think I just bought one. I am going to look at it. What do I need to look for ?
                                       Thanks,
                                           IG
Education doesn't make you smart, it makes you educated.
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 12:07am
Linkage on loader for slop, backhoe pins and bushings for wear,
check lower bushing where hoe mounts to swing bracket by setting bucket on ground and then touching lift and dig of boom th see how much play is in that bushing.
 check front cover on engine by hyd pump as they crack the aluminum casting without the update pump suppoet brackets.
 check hyd power by using hoe to lift machine with boom and dipper, should lift machine with no problem, try moving machine right and left using swing cylinders when weight is off tires and on bucket and hoe.
 Should move easily in any of the 4 gears if clutch pack is good (no slipping)
Check for fwd/ rev using the foot disengagement pedal in each gear. Should start easily and idel down smooth, accilerator should brig up to speed with no bind, rear throttle should pull easily and hold at speed. Check levers for worn joints and smooth movement and responce from valve body.
 Check boom and dipper for cracks and worn pins at bucket linkage. Most pins are 1 1/2" stock. 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 8:45am
I had an early 715 and traded for a 715 B series 24 years ago. Still have it. Much nicer machine with mechanical self leveling loader and soft shift trans. 715C is the same as the B but with the A-C 2200 (200cu.in) turbo engine.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 10:05am
Mine is a 715B - D  1981 /82 year with the Perkns engine. 14' hoe with the Digmore extenda-hoe attachment and will dig to 17 1/2 ft.
 Think the last group used the Cummings engine but unsure how many were made or in what year production was halted.  Cab style was also changed from flat sided to sloped full glass style ROPS cab with 2 section swing out door .
 Visibility to loader bucket is somewhat limited by loader frame tower where cylinders mount but is easy to figure out or feel where everything is once you run machine.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Eric[IL] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric[IL] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 4:18am
I have a 715B with the perkins engine.  Like the AC 433T, it requires an extended cranking time to start when it is colder in the mornings.  But once its started, it runs like a champ.  You may want to check to see if it has a engine block coolant heater attached so you can plug it in for those colder times.  Here is a picture of mine.  They are built tough.

ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 9:04pm
Eric that looks just like mine. I just got home with it about 30 minutes ago. What size is the perkins motors in them? I am going to change all the fluids,was wandering on a size of the perkins so I can get filters for it.
                                                    IG
Education doesn't make you smart, it makes you educated.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 9:14am
Perkins 236 engine , PH8A oil filter
jwp View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 12:26pm

I have a 715D everything works great except it will not engage forward or reverse,any ideas on how to fix this problem,any help will be greatly appreciated.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 3:03pm
Check your oil level for the torque converter and clutch pack of fwd-rev box. Be sure the lever for foot clutch (indent control on side of box) is moving free.
 Problem with mine now as was rebuilt by a inept dealers shop (Carlson Tractor in Rosemount MN) and failed in less than 40 hours.
 It has a clutch pack that is hyd applied for fwd-rev and those can be worn. R & R for unit is said by book to be 10 hrs. 
Dave A View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 6:23pm
check the sprin thet returns the clutch peddle. If it is cold out my peddle does not always come all the way up. And I have no forward or reverse
Play the game for more than you can afford to lose... only then will you learn the game.
Winston Churchill
jwp View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 7:33pm

Thanks DaveA  for the reply

jwp View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 7:34pm
Thank u very much
Farmboy9er View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farmboy9er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 4:22pm
Looking at purchasing a AC 715D any idea on a fair price?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 4:58pm
Somewhere between $4000 / $10,000 depending on how good . 
AC machines sell for less than say Ford 555 of same years or Case 
Thing is all equipment now is priced out of the market for many - times changed when a good deal could be found . 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 5:17pm
Got that so right. Seven to ten years ago while construction markets were way down you could buy a decent 580Case for around $12-16,000 in the 15-20 year old age range, buddy of mine did that very thing. He just sold his as the new owner had been digging around for something NOT electronic, NOT tier 2,3 or 4, and not so modern he cannot fix on the fly where my buddy got as much as he paid for it. Uses it almost daily and is wearing it out for the third time!

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 10:09am
Was driving a older truck on Friday - had a brake problem and ran into dealer shop to have it fixed - 
 Mechanic says - you know i like working on these older trucks - I can fix them using my knowledge and my tool box - no diagnostic computer - no logic modulus, no on-board control program ran from on-board computer . Just this controls that - you step on this and it works . 
 So new air line and right fittings and brakes work without leaking down air  

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 09 Sep 2017 at 10:10am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic